ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hangover ? or what ? ..... from the 2018 Nada show

Default Hangover ? or what ? ..... from the 2018 Nada show

So.... tomorrow's Friday, 5 days since the end of this NADA show, and the Simply forum has been fairly quiet all week so far ....

I guess some of it is working on, & resuming getting back into our own normal daily routines;

... or staying low & quiet while getting over jet-lag;
    ... or being somewhat pissed off with having one's flight home cancelled;
    ....or still upset over your flight home being delayed several hours;
    ... or even feeling a bit of a pinch over how much money we spent attending the show;

But hey, c'mon, life goes on, so let's get a little more lively here.

I'm still savoring the experience of a new aspect of my long-time 'written' relationships with a lot of more or less unknown friends. Actually meeting them face to face & having a great variety of very interesting discussions with a bunch of very nice people !

I had a great time - & I'm feeling real good about finally being able to attend this show - and looking forward to the next one ....

How about you ? Any comments to share with us ?

I just had to post this silly bit of heartfelt emotion.

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Default Re: Hangover ? or what ? ..... from the 2018 Nada show

Paul, I know a lot of flights were affected with the weather at Newark the day we left. Tom's and mine flight was delayed by four hours. Rick's flight was cancelled. Paul Butler missed his connecting flight in Canada etc etc.

I returned home tired but very happy to have not only reconnected with folks (like yourself) I have meet before but to meet several folks whom I have known online but never meet in person. This was the most rewarding part of the show.

I also worked harder on this show then the previous ones both on show room setup and helping Ricardo with the photography. It is amazing all the time and work the photography takes. Ricardo and I do not know how Matt did it solo. I at least got to attend one talk.

However I did return in a funk and still sort of still am. After the show fish winners were posted on FB we received lots of negative comments from the international community. I mentioned this to Paul B. and he suggested to not be bothered by it as they were not there so that helped some.

I need to kick myself in the butt and get going and I will today. Time to go spend some time behind a camera.
    Pat
    Last edited by Second Hand Pat; 07-20-2018 at 10:03 AM.
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Registered Member Keith Perkins's Avatar
    Real Name
    CozyKeith

Yesterday was the first time I didn't doze off at my desk at least once all week, lol. Good thing I'm in a secluded spot.

Lots of 2018 show wrap up going on and believe it or not planning for 2020 as well. We've got at least 3 new locations that have expressed interest in hosting the next show, all of them fine locations.

I've got 3 more fish tanks to change water on than I did before the show so my evenings have been busier. I'll be posting pictures of the new acquisitions as soon as I receive them. Hint, hint.

Planning for 2020 already, with at least 3 new locations expressing interest !

That's great - too bad one of them can't be Seattle (2 hour's drive for me) - but Larry told me that would not likely ever happen - west coast locations are not conducive - which is understandable.

But Seattle might be good for Asian breeders to attend the show.

What about Vegas ? Anybody there who could organize & deal with the local needs ?
    Last edited by discuspaul; 07-20-2018 at 11:47 AM.

Registered Member Keith Perkins's Avatar
    Real Name
    CozyKeith

I don't think anyone from Vegas was at the NJ show.

Real Name
    Ricardo

I'm fully recovered now. I had some issues at home with my dad's health and that drained me further but my flight went without a hitch (which i'm thankful for), and i have finally re-adjusted to the time difference.

The show was great and it was nice connecting with everyone. Pat, it is a shame that people would talk bad about beautiful discus but everyone is entitled to their opinions. All i know is that no matter how good our pictures are, they do not replace how beautiful these discus are seeing them in person.

So, for those that may have a negative opinion, i ask that they consider attending the next one, and if they still do not like the entries, well at least you are around people who are nuts over discus and can chat up and mingle. That is ultimately what happens at these things, you go for the fish but leave with friends

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Steve

I spent Sunday night with my wife and her brother's family in the Newark area. Got home after 11pm Monday. It was unfortunate that the O2 tank at the show had leaked out by the time I went to bag my fish to take home, and I lost several in the return trip due to lack of oxygen. My show winner did survive, however. NADA folks have been very apologetic and made me offers for the next show, which I appreciate. Like most folks, I assume, I came home to a garden to catch up on, and the carpet cleaner on Wednesday while my wife was still visiting a friend in NY, and general catch up around the house. I did also come home to three pairs with fry, including a new proven pair I had been hoping for. Only a few of their fry were left in their group tank, but I've since separated them and they spawned again yesterday. I'll post some pics as they progress.
    Again, it was great to see everyone.
    Steve
    Last edited by RogueDiscus; 07-20-2018 at 01:51 PM.

SimplyDiscus Sponsor and MVP Nov.2015 Disgirl's Avatar

I had a wonderful time, so did my husband. It was good for him to see NADA and what I am involved in with this hobby. Thank you to all those people who worked so very hard on this convention! And so much fun to meet new people and reconnect with old friends. I can't help but think that those who criticize, but weren't there themselves, may be a bit green with envy that they weren't there too and want to diminish our fun and enjoyment of it all.
    Barb

Delightful Designs Discus Cones by Barb -- Check out my Sponsor section --HERE--!

SimplyDiscus Sponsor and MVP Nov.2015 Disgirl's Avatar

Steve, I am so sorry to hear what happened to some of your fish.
    Barb

Delightful Designs Discus Cones by Barb -- Check out my Sponsor section --HERE--!

Quote Originally Posted by Disgirl View Post
    Steve, I am so sorry to hear what happened to some of your fish.
    Barb
    Ditto

Real Name
    Steve

Thanks Barb and Paul. It's part of my show story, but I'm moving on

Real Name
    Take a wild guess

Thank you for all your hard work, for us who live way too far to make it to NADA your hard work and the photos you took with Ricardo bring us a lot of joy (nevermind the curmudgeons always ready to criticise, how can you think to know better than the judges who actually see the fish just by looking at a photo). I feel for those who had travel trouble and especially for Steve's fish

Real Name
    Steve

I do find that I am still decompressing from the show. I'm working to catch up around the house and garden, and I find myself working through thoughts from the show. It didn't hurt that I checked in a replied to a few posts this morning. The show definitely was a focal point of some efforts for the last few months. Now that it's over, that "now what" process is kicking in.

I missed the show this year but its been a busy week for me as well. Have a bunch of personal obligations this week but have been trying to pop in, guide our new mods here and reply to posts as I can.

Being away for the show or any type of vacation or trip can definitely wear a person down though. but you know what they say about hang overs...the best cure is to have another drink.

So the next shows a bit away , but you all can alway post pics of your fish and tanks in the forum and help each other get over the hang over from NADA 2018.

al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

Its been a week since i've arrived home, and not only still feeling jet lagged but also some holiday blues. Im so glad that i was able to include the NADA Discus Show with my family vacation to America. All up i caught 5 flights with the longest being from LAX back to Melbourne Australia. Its not fun sitting in a plane for 14 hours, but it did give me time to reflect on the good time i had, as well as drinking a few scotches

I also had delayed flights, the worst was from Vegas to Newark where we had to disembark the plane due to engine problems and didnt resume the flight for a few hours later. The only plus with that was that i spent the time playing the slot machines at the airport and pocketed $100. In saying that, every dollar i spent on this trip was worth it , and keep in mind that i only received 75c American for each of my Australian hard earnt dollar

Nada not only gave me the opportunity to see some beautiful discus , but to meet many of the fine people that i have made friends with and interacted with on here. id like to thank everyone for being so friendly. It was terrific meeting you all and sharing not only our love for discus but of life in general.

I've been to America a fair few times now, but this was my first visit to New Jersey and New York. I loved the sites around the city, but especially Central Park. i spent a day fishing too and caught some new species as well.

I hope you guys know that you have a beautiful nature, and accent as well.

I hope that i can make it to the next one, but im pretty sure that i will be visiting America again next year. Maybe if im close to any of you we may catch up for a lunch or dinner.
    We're here for a good time...not a long time

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast