AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hangover ? or what ? ..... from the 2018 Nada show

Default Re: Hangover ? or what ? ..... from the 2018 Nada show

Joe, should you fly to the west coast of America when you come over again, and would consider visiting the Pacific north-west, e.g. Seattle & Vancouver areas, I'd relish connecting with you for lunch or dinner.

Think about it - it's a great area to visit - literally millions of folks from around the world do each year, and marvel at the breath-taking beauty of the Rockies at our doorstep.

Check in with Pat about her & hubby Tom's cruise to Alaska from the Pacific northwest a couple of years ago.

It's a marvelous sight to see, with the Pacific ocean right off B.C.'s and Alaska's coasts harboring some of the best seafood to be found anywhere on this planet.

SimplyDiscus Sponsor and MVP Nov.2015 Disgirl's Avatar

What a very nice post Joe. It was just great to meet you and get to spend some time chatting. So, do you think we have accents? I thought it was you with the wonderful accent. Where in the US is your next trip? I wish I could visit your country!
    Barb

Delightful Designs Discus Cones by Barb -- Check out my Sponsor section --HERE--!

SimplyDiscus Sponsor and MVP Nov.2015 Disgirl's Avatar

OK Paul, now you may have others of us visiting your doorstep sometime!
    Barb =)

Delightful Designs Discus Cones by Barb -- Check out my Sponsor section --HERE--!

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

Quote Originally Posted by discuspaul View Post
    Joe, should you fly to the west coast of America when you come over again, and would consider visiting the Pacific north-west, e.g. Seattle & Vancouver areas, I'd relish connecting with you for lunch or dinner.

Think about it - it's a great area to visit - literally millions of folks from around the world do each year, and marvel at the breath-taking beauty of the Rockies at our doorstep.

Check in with Pat about her & hubby Tom's cruise to Alaska from the Pacific northwest a couple of years ago.

It's a marvelous sight to see, with the Pacific ocean right off B.C.'s and Alaska's coasts harboring some of the best seafood to be found anywhere on this planet.
    My wife and i did Seattle about 3 years ago, and used it as a starting place for a cruise we did of the inside passage of Alaska Paul. Probably one of the best cruises that i've ever done. I loved Seattle and have friends there. Best of all i liked the coffee there...You know that we have the best coffee here in Australia right?
    I missed my shots of short blacks while in America, and sad to say visited starbucks alot while in the States.
    Seattle is very similar to Melbourne with coffee shops on each and every corner.
    We are hoping to return to Seattle next year, maybe for a wedding, but also to do a trip to Banff and some other very scenic spots along the way. I'll be sure to let you know, as i would love the opportunity to catch up with you again.

Quote Originally Posted by Disgirl View Post
    What a very nice post Joe. It was just great to meet you and get to spend some time chatting. So, do you think we have accents? I thought it was you with the wonderful accent. Where in the US is your next trip? I wish I could visit your country!
    Barb
    Barb. It was wonderful to finally meet you. It was cute how you recognized me from a distance and called out my name. Thanks for my second cone which is very special to me since it is also personalized.
    Haha..Yes! you all have accents, and you also drive on the wrong side of the road!!! So scary and the reason i dont drive while over there...i did once and ended up making a left turn and ended up face to face with oncoming traffic tooting me. I must say though, i was distracted by my passenger at the time, so it wasn't totally my fault

As i was telling Paul, i may be travelling to Seattle for a friends wedding, and then through the centre of Canada to Toronto...still in the planning stages but i will let all know if im about.

I think you would like Australia, but watch out for all the venomous critters, or the larger ones that can eat you. Let me know if you ever decide to visit.
    We're here for a good time...not a long time

Quote Originally Posted by Disgirl View Post
    OK Paul, now you may have others of us visiting your doorstep sometime!
    Barb =)
    Anytime Barb, don't hesitate to come this way - you'd love it.

April to October has just great weather generally - the rest of the year isn't that bad either - temp doesn't often drop below 5 F - and if it does snow once or twice a year for one day, it usually disappears overnite.

That invitation goes out to any of you other good folks - don't forget, if you come, at the very least lunch or dinner will be on me - perhaps even some room & board - LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by two utes View Post
    My wife and i did Seattle about 3 years ago, and used it as a starting place for a cruise we did of the inside passage of Alaska Paul. Probably one of the best cruises that i've ever done. I loved Seattle and have friends there. Best of all i liked the coffee there...You know that we have the best coffee here in Australia right?
    I missed my shots of short blacks while in America, and sad to say visited starbucks alot while in the States.
    Seattle is very similar to Melbourne with coffee shops on each and every corner.
    We are hoping to return to Seattle next year, maybe for a wedding, but also to do a trip to Banff and some other very scenic spots along the way. I'll be sure to let you know, as i would love the opportunity to catch up with you again.

Barb. It was wonderful to finally meet you. It was cute how you recognized me from a distance and called out my name. Thanks for my second cone which is very special to me since it is also personalized.
    Haha..Yes! you all have accents, and you also drive on the wrong side of the road!!! So scary and the reason i dont drive while over there...i did once and ended up making a left turn and ended up face to face with oncoming traffic tooting me. I must say though, i was distracted by my passenger at the time, so it wasn't totally my fault

As i was telling Paul, i may be travelling to Seattle for a friends wedding, and then through the centre of Canada to Toronto...still in the planning stages but i will let all know if im about.

I think you would like Australia, but watch out for all the venomous critters, or the larger ones that can eat you. Let me know if you ever decide to visit.

So sorry we weren't able to get together when you came this way 3 years ago, Joe.

But this next time you come, please do let me know. If it's convenient for you, there'd be nothing stopping me from making a point to meet with you & enjoying some time together !

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

So sorry we weren't able to get together when you came this way 3 years ago, Joe.

But this next time you come, please do let me know. If it's convenient for you, there'd be nothing stopping me from making a point to meet with you & enjoying some time together !
    Will do Paul. Looking forward to another meeting.
    We're here for a good time...not a long time

Quote Originally Posted by two utes View Post
    Will do Paul. Looking forward to another meeting.
    Love to hear that, Joe - can't wait !

Real Name
    Julian

Paul
    I did missed my fly as well , and stay an extra day , end up flying from La Guardia next day.
    It was a pleasure to meet you in person , hope see you again, Mary and I are avid travelers so I could be in Vancouver in the near future. We'll love to hang an talk fish among other things.
    Julian.
    Breeding , interest and goals Wilds Heckels and Cuipeuas and a few Domestics pairs with occasional fry as well as Angels fancy Plecos , corys and shrimps.

Quote Originally Posted by Pardal View Post
    Paul
    I did missed my fly as well , and stay an extra day , end up flying from La Guardia next day.
    It was a pleasure to meet you in person , hope see you again, Mary and I are avid travelers so I could be in Vancouver in the near future. We'll love to hang an talk fish among other things.
    Julian.
    Julian, it was indeed a pleasure chatting with you several times - thanks for catching up to me & introducing yourself - it's sometimes tough getting together with people you should know - but you've never seen them before- too bad they don't put the user names on the I.D. name tags - I'd have known who you were right away.

If you do come to Vancouver, I might have trouble forgiving you if you came here & didn't get in touch with me beforehand to let me know when & where you'd be so we could get together if possible.

Real Name
    Amy

Quote Originally Posted by RogueDiscus View Post
    I spent Sunday night with my wife and her brother's family in the Newark area. Got home after 11pm Monday. It was unfortunate that the O2 tank at the show had leaked out by the time I went to bag my fish to take home, and I lost several in the return trip due to lack of oxygen. My show winner did survive, however. NADA folks have been very apologetic and made me offers for the next show, which I appreciate. Like most folks, I assume, I came home to a garden to catch up on, and the carpet cleaner on Wednesday while my wife was still visiting a friend in NY, and general catch up around the house. I did also come home to three pairs with fry, including a new proven pair I had been hoping for. Only a few of their fry were left in their group tank, but I've since separated them and they spawned again yesterday. I'll post some pics as they progress.
    Again, it was great to see everyone.
    Steve
    Did they only have one O2 tank? I’m sorry you lost Fish. I wanted to go this year but wasn’t able to due to health issues. As a newb I’ve wondered how people handle the seemingly Herculean task of bringing their prized Discus. I would be devistated to lose my Fish under those circumstances. I think in the future I’d like to come as a spectator but I don’t think I’d risk my Discus. I only have 5 that I’ve raised from small fry. I suppose if I had a huge stock of fish it would be different.

I’ve enjoyed reading all of the posts here and on FB about the show and the fun everyone had. I got the sense that for most the Fish were almost secondary. Meeting new Discus lovers and seeing old friends too was the highlight for many it seems. The venue looked nice and the food looked good. The Discus were all Gorgeous in my book!
    Of course I’m no European expert.

On that topic, I was surprised to see such a lack of support for the hobby from a few people. Even more surprised to find that at least one of those people was a Judge! Doesn’t really give new people the warm fuzzies to read such negative comments and I can’t imagine how he thought being so rude was helping this industry. Again, I’m relatively new to the Discus world so maybe this is par for the course. I hope not though.
    I will say that I was impressed how the NADA person handled it.

Anyhow, I appreciate all of the hard work that went into taking and posting all of the pics that were shared and really enjoy them and all of your posts too! It’s the next best thing to actually being there. I hope to make the next one for sure.

Our flight was delayed we got home late Sunday so I took Monday off, i shipped 3 fish back because they had new owners but the arrived 20 hours late and unfortunately lost one of them, the other 2 where near death but I had a great time, I felt welcomed with smiling faces got to meet lots of great people, thanks everyone

Registered Member Keith Perkins's Avatar
    Real Name
    CozyKeith

Quote Originally Posted by AquaWoman View Post
    Did they only have one O2 tank?
    The short answer is yes, but the short isn't nearly adequate. A single tank of O2 the size of what we had at the show normally would have been enough to bag 1000s of fish. There were only a few dozen bagged at the show The tank sat tucked in a corner by the registration desk for several days and was completely full Sunday. I know this first hand as Larry Bugg and I were the first to use it that morning bagging my 6 fish. What the heck happened after that I could only theorize, but whatever it was was really a freak occurrence.

The NADA BODs is made up of people pretty much just like you. We love discus and hate to see the premature death of any of them. We bust our backsides to put together this discus keepers family reunion every two years in part to further educate people on how to keep their discus healthier. Aside from the owners of the deceased fish, no one feels worse about what happened to them than we do. This doesn't change what happened, but I hope it illustrates it was a completely unforeseeable event. We'll likely have a backup tank in the future, but we sure shouldn't ever have to use one.
    President - North American Discus Association

Quote Originally Posted by alcastro View Post
    Our flight was delayed we got home late Sunday so I took Monday off, i shipped 3 fish back because they had new owners but the arrived 20 hours late and unfortunately lost one of them, the other 2 where near death but I had a great time, I felt welcomed with smiling faces got to meet lots of great people, thanks everyone
    Very nice to meet you & your good lady, Al.

Very nice to meet you & your good lady, Al.
    The pleasure was mine Paul, and the cheese was great

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast