AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: 1st proven pair!

Registered Member

Default 1st proven pair!

1st off can someone tell me what strain these discus are? I was told altum carnation but I dont know...but I'm basically posting this (since it's my first time raising fry) to see if anyone has any tips tricks or advise for me.
    I basically do 50% water changes every 2 days on this breeding tank and my show tank and they have been thriving and growing strong but I'm guessing I should bump up the water changes to daily with the fry amiright?
    And how do I remove water without sucking up fry? And tips would be greatly appreciated

https://twitter.com/jRaidzz/status/1...858574848?s=19

Registered Member

Default Re: 1st proven pair!

Look pretty Altum like to me. To told you this?

In my experience, I was doing 50% changes once a day with fry and it wasn’t enough so will do morning AND evening when I get to that point again. I never had any problem with siphoning fry when they were in with parents, parents always put themselves between hose and fry, you will get attacked by the parents though. When the fry are in their own tank and a bit bigger there’s nothing I could ever do about siphoning fry. If you are going in to a bucket, pull them out and back in the tank. If you are going straight down a plug etc. put a net at the end of it or something to catch them. I would rather that than have a net on the front end and them be trapped against that while water is being pulled through.

Registered Member

Also, congrats on your first proven pair!

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Congrats on your first pair and appears to be a good sized spawn
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Tobi

Nice. The first time is always special, I still find it fascinating when the larvae hatch and the parents do their thing. You’ll enjoy all of it, I’m sure.
    Keep is posted and get some pics up in this thread if or when you can. Lots of folks here love seeing this kind of thing
    Last edited by Swedgin; 07-21-2018 at 09:38 AM. Reason: Grammar
    Regards,
    Tobi

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Wild Blues/Browns/Reds
    Wild Heckels
    Wild Greens

Registered Member

Well the parents did their thing alright..I woke up this morning and the eggs are gone

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by jRaidz View Post
    Well the parents did their thing alright..I woke up this morning and the eggs are gone
    They will most like spawn again. So the eggs did not hatch?
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Registered Member

This batch no they did not..but when I had them in my community tank they were very protective over the uv sterilizer in the tank then one day during a tank cleaning eggs popped out then a few days later for the next clean,I opened the sterilizer and I see dead lil fry..I know if they hatched in the sterilizer they weren't getting out alive but after seeing that I moved them to a breeder tank.