ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The People Side of the NADA 2018 Show

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Default Re: The People Side of the NADA 2018 Show

Pano of the breakfast with the speaker question/answer session.

IMG_0861.jpg

Hugo and John N.

IMG_0860.jpg

Paul and Dr. Smith.

IMG_0859.jpg
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Hi Pat! Thank you! It was really fun meeting you and all the other members I have had the honor to see on the forum over the past two years. I have a few pics to put up. I am just settling back in after returning from back to back trips and playing catch up here at home.

As for the cookies. I start with a basic shortbread recipe. It’s a great one that’s really easy to work with. If anyone wants it let me know. I’d be glad to share it. I set the printing up on my computer in a simple print shop program. My computer savy son, Kyle, reworked the logo to fit the cookie shape better. I use a regular Canon inkjet printer that has never had ink run through it and I use food color cartridges in the place of ink. I blow through printers pretty quickly though. The printheads take a beating with the materials I run through it. It’s the same idea as the bakeries that do photo cakes. One edible image sheet does 20 images. They are made from starch and sugar and run through the printer with the plastic backing attached. I peel that off, cut them apart, use frosting on the back, slap them on and do a royal frosting border to hide the edges. I’ve got it down to 20 seconds a cookie. It was a last minute idea to offer them. I’m glad people enjoyed them! Hopefully they’ll be on the tables of NADA 2020!
    "You can't trust water: Even a straight stick turns crooked in it." -W.C.Fields

Here are a few of mine.

Me and Jenene.jpgMe and Pat. Darn with the sideways nonsense!!! Can you spin it Pat?

F997467B-13C2-4938-B5BB-BF87CB93A5FF.jpg Steve, me and Paul

B23B99A5-859A-4BDC-B9EF-8B55FFB9D09C.jpgme and Ralph

The best part of the show was meeting all of these kind and interesting people and more I didn’t get a chance to capture.
    Last edited by Second Hand Pat; 07-24-2018 at 05:18 PM. Reason: Fixed pic

Real Name
    Ricardo

Jenene, I am not going to lie, when i was thinking of placing your name I was drawing a blank at the show. I just saw your join date and i think that may have played a part. I've been scarce here the last 2 years so this was probably attributant to me not being savvy on the new members .

Anyone that knows me though, knows that i love meeting new people and can chat up a storm about pretty much anything lol.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

Quote Originally Posted by Jenene View Post
    Hi Pat! Thank you! It was really fun meeting you and all the other members I have had the honor to see on the forum over the past two years. I have a few pics to put up. I am just settling back in after returning from back to back trips and playing catch up here at home.

As for the cookies. I start with a basic shortbread recipe. It’s a great one that’s really easy to work with. If anyone wants it let me know. I’d be glad to share it. I set the printing up on my computer in a simple print shop program. My computer savy son, Kyle, reworked the logo to fit the cookie shape better. I use a regular Canon inkjet printer that has never had ink run through it and I use food color cartridges in the place of ink. I blow through printers pretty quickly though. The printheads take a beating with the materials I run through it. It’s the same idea as the bakeries that do photo cakes. One edible image sheet does 20 images. They are made from starch and sugar and run through the printer with the plastic backing attached. I peel that off, cut them apart, use frosting on the back, slap them on and do a royal frosting border to hide the edges. I’ve got it down to 20 seconds a cookie. It was a last minute idea to offer them. I’m glad people enjoyed them! Hopefully they’ll be on the tables of NADA 2020!
    Hi Jenene. It was great getting to finally meet you. I actually have one of your cookies here with me on my desk in Australia...Its a lovely little souvenir of the NADA Show. Thank you so much for your help while i was there, getting to the show a few times, and also the Saturday night dinner.
    I hope l get to meet you and all my other new friends at the next Nada show
    Last edited by two utes; 07-24-2018 at 07:24 PM.
    We're here for a good time...not a long time

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by two utes View Post
    Hi Jenene. It was great getting to finally meet you. I actually have one of your cookies here with me on my desk in Australia...Its a lovely little souvenir of the NADA Show. Thank you so much for your help while is was there, getting to the show a few times, and also the Saturday night dinner.
    In Retrospect, i wish i would not have eaten the cookie, but the pressure of a hungry wife and daughter was too much, lol. It was very tasty.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Registered Member Keith Perkins's Avatar
    Real Name
    CozyKeith

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    And beauties they are. I actually have one make it home unbroked. Jenene, if you see this how did you make them?
    Pat
    I got two home.
    President - North American Discus Association

Quote Originally Posted by rickztahone View Post
    Jenene, I am not going to lie, when i was thinking of placing your name I was drawing a blank at the show. I just saw your join date and i think that may have played a part. I've been scarce here the last 2 years so this was probably attributant to me not being savvy on the new members .

Anyone that knows me though, knows that i love meeting new people and can chat up a storm about pretty much anything lol.
    Ha ha Rick you crack me up. I wish I would have had more time to chat but you and the others were so busy running around doing their jobs! We hadn't had a lot of interaction here on the forum but the times we had you gave great advice. You popped in on my reef thread as well. Thank you!

Hopefully next show everyone will make it back and we can continue one. Until then see you around here!

Quote Originally Posted by two utes View Post
    Hi Jenene. It was great getting to finally meet you. I actually have one of your cookies here with me on my desk in Australia...Its a lovely little souvenir of the NADA Show. Thank you so much for your help while i was there, getting to the show a few times, and also the Saturday night dinner.
    Hi Joe, It was great getting to meet you and the others. I'm glad you got those cookies past customs. What a rebel.

Glad I could help out and be your Uber. Hope I didn't insult you by not letting you drive. We drive on the right side of the road here in the states. The word "right" used with both meanings intended. I was just trying to avoid this scenario..."No officer... he's not drunk...he's Australian."

Hope you make the long trek back to NADA 2020!

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Perkins View Post
    I got two home.
    Glad you snagged some Keith. You earned them. Thank you and all the others who worked so hard to make it a great show. It is all very much appreciated.

Real Name
    Ricardo

Ha ha Rick you crack me up. I wish I would have had more time to chat but you and the others were so busy running around doing their jobs! We hadn't had a lot of interaction here on the forum but the times we had you gave great advice. You popped in on my reef thread as well. Thank you!

Hopefully next show everyone will make it back and we can continue one. Until then see you around here!
    You are starting to jog my memory! That does ring a bell!

Hi Joe, It was great getting to meet you and the others. I'm glad you got those cookies past customs. What a rebel.

Glad I could help out and be your Uber. Hope I didn't insult you by not letting you drive. We drive on the right side of the road here in the states. The word "right" used with both meanings intended. I was just trying to avoid this scenario..."No officer... he's not drunk...he's Australian."

Hope you make the long trek back to NADA 2020!

Cafepress.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12