AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need some advice on what to do with discus that had the plague

Default Re: Need some advice on what to do with discus that had the plague

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Sabucchi View Post
    The advice Al has given is born from a lot of experience, we have all incoured in mishaps and had to learn the hard way that mother nature does not necessarily follow our human logic. Although it is apparent that you are dealing with some kind of pathogen short of employing the services of the pathologist recommended by Al you will not know if it is viral or bacterial, and if the latter is it some kind of mycobacteria that can stay dormant for a very long time and resist to most antiseptics or could it be a species of bacteria that produces spores?
    As extreme as it may seem the only surefire way to be reasonably sure to have left the problem behind is to start with a clean slate. If you want to keep the suspected carriers again the advice given by Al (in the video that Joey put on YouTube) to keep that tank in a different room as far as possible from the other fish with separate equipment and taking sensible measures to avoid cross contamination would be the best way to go.
    When I was at college the infectious diseases department was divided in 2 separate units, bacteriology was on the 2nd floor and virology in the basement. This was done after one too many times a bug got inadvertently carried and infected/destroyed the cell cultures used for viruses, and we were all professionals with an understanding of what was at stake
    No offense but your college story doesnt instill any confidence in how colleges in the United states are able to handle deadly virus.. If you managed cross contamination between labs like that you dont seem very profesional to me nore does it seem that you have the ability to keep those virus or bacteria safely locked away.. Maybe there is more to your story ? but that sounds eh to me.. Reminds me when that university not too long ago lost vials of the ebola virus... Remember that ? Or how they lose plutonium makes you wonder why a University is able to handle diseases of that caliber.

Virology has always fascinatee me and if i could rewind time ( turn 32 today lol) i might have gone into that field

Your story reminds me of the first resident evil movie.. How he tosses the t virus vial in the lab where the ventilation is connected to every room in the facility.. geesh..

Sorry dont take offense but thats kinds scary to be hearing that from you..
    Last edited by candymancan; 08-05-2018 at 07:08 PM.

Real Name
    Take a wild guess

Default Re: Need some advice on what to do with discus that had the plague

I never said that any dangerous strains of bacteria or viruses were ever released but that cell cultures were contaminated - I suppose I should have specified by bacteria or yeasts like Candida - that are common in the environment. So it was actually the poor viruses that "suffered". And again that was something that happened almost 40 years ago (just before my time there but I am no spring chicken) and has been avoided thereafter. When dealing with any kind of infectious disease basic biosecurity measures are always the first step in halting the spread.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12