ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Canister filters...frequency of cleaning, changing

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Morgan

Default Canister filters...frequency of cleaning, changing

I use Fluval canisters with my discus. I need recommendations for how often to change/clean the media. I use Purigen and Matrix along with water polishing pads. I don't think you have to replace the Matrix just the Purigen...any suggestions?

Real Name
    Ricardo

Default Re: Canister filters...frequency of cleaning, changing

Since you only have 1 filter, i would recommend cleaning it every 3-6 months. It really depends on how messy/stocked your tank is. Do you have a sponge filter? I've never liked only having one filter in a tank, in case one gets nuked. So, when i had tanks, i always had two filters, and i would alternate cleaning by a few months. That worked well. If you ever see your water decrease significantly from your outlet, that should be your indicator and should mark a time frame for you on how often you need to clean.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Morgan

rick, i do run 2 Fluval filters at the same time...the tank is overstocked but i do water changes every 2-3 days....i have 13 in a 75 gallon
    2 filters is good and like you said can clean one out and still have 1 of them running

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by wsdiscus View Post
    rick, i do run 2 Fluval filters at the same time...the tank is overstocked but i do water changes every 2-3 days....i have 13 in a 75 gallon
    2 filters is good and like you said can clean one out and still have 1 of them running
    If that's the case, then you should be good cleaning a filter every two months. However, that means a monthly cleaning of a filter every time. I used to do it every 1st of the month so i wouldn't forget. I used to keep a small group of 25 discus in a 75g but i had a 40g sump. As they grew i had to start selling them off because of the bio-load. Its in my signature if you wanna check it out. I used to do 60-80% daily WC's however.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Tobi

Quote Originally Posted by wsdiscus View Post
    I use Fluval canisters with my discus. I need recommendations for how often to change/clean the media. I use Purigen and Matrix along with water polishing pads. I don't think you have to replace the Matrix just the Purigen...any suggestions?
    Hi Morgan,

yes, you are correct, the matrix does not and should not be replaced, just rinsed lightly with tank water when the filter is cleaned. The purigen needs to be recharged or replaced when it turns to a darkish brown. The instructions on the bottle usually work spot on. I would suggest to keep an extra portion of purigen handy, so when you do the cleaning, instead of recharging and opening the filter again after a few days you can use the clean purigen and recharge the used one for the next filter clean.
    If you are using fine filter floss in your fluvals I would also suggest to clean them out more frequently, either rinsing or replacing the floss, as it catches most of the gunk and having it sit there for months won’t do you any favors.

I personally run 4-5 canisters on each tank, and I clean one per water change, so every 7-10 days in my case, which gives each filter about a monthly or 6 weekly cleaning interval, like Rick suggested. I don’t use floss though, so I just lightly rinse the media and the pre filter foam. Takes about 10 mins per filter/change

If you’re going for longer intervals I would keep a close eye on NO3 levels

Tobi
    Last edited by Swedgin; 07-27-2018 at 12:25 AM.
    Regards,
    Tobi

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Wild Blues/Browns/Reds
    Wild Heckels
    Wild Greens

Real Name
    Filip

Agree with Tobi . It all depends on the filter and prefilter materials you use. With polishing pads in a canister and without using a prefilter on your intake I wouldn't go for more than 3 weeks without cleaning.
    I my self do the quite opposite . I stack my canister with coarse biomedia only (matrix , siporax , fluval rings etc. )and I wrap my intake with thick wrapping of pollishing pads .
    That way I just clean / change the intake polishing pads bi -weekly and I open to clean the canister only once or twice a year . There isn't much to Clean inside anyway because its only coarse media that does not collect dirt , and its prefiltered with polishing pads that does not allow any dirt to enter the canister .
    Last edited by Filip; 07-27-2018 at 04:33 AM.

Real Name
    Patty

Filip,
    I’m interested in changing my canister routine and trying your method. Would you be so kind to show a pic of your intake filters wrapped with polishing pads? That sounds so much easier in the long run for my 75 gal angel tank. I already have coarse biomedia and pre filters, so it would be an easy fix. Thanks from my husband who reluctantly has this chore.
    Patty
    If the discus are happy, I’m happy

Real Name
    Frank

Filip,
    I agree with Pices. Also, what polishing pad do you use? I assume you use a rubber bank to secure the wrapping.

Maybe a pic would assist.

Frank

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by Pices View Post
    Filip,
    I’m interested in changing my canister routine and trying your method. Would you be so kind to show a pic of your intake filters wrapped with polishing pads? That sounds so much easier in the long run for my 75 gal angel tank. I already have coarse biomedia and pre filters, so it would be an easy fix. Thanks from my husband who reluctantly has this chore.
    Patty
    Fluval pre-filters, easy .

Everyone with a canister filter needs to have one of these. It prolongs your filter maintenance by a significant margin.

Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Patty

Quote Originally Posted by rickztahone View Post
    Fluval pre-filters, easy .

Everyone with a canister filter needs to have one of these. It prolongs your filter maintenance by a significant margin.
    Yes, I have fluval pre-filters already. They are great but replacing the pre filter sponge inside is difficult and it’s hard to find a good fitting substitute, but I love pre-filters. I was interested in seeing how Filip wraps the polishing cloth around it.
    Also Filip didn’t say he uses a pre-filter so I am curious to see his set up.
    Patty
    Last edited by Pices; 07-27-2018 at 07:11 PM.
    If the discus are happy, I’m happy

Real Name
    Take a wild guess

I agree keeping solid waste out of the canister in the first place is a good thing, particularly if you are growing out young fish and throwing food at them every 3 hours. I have adapted an XL size sponge filter as a prefilter in the tank. It is a doddle to take it out and rinse it every day in the bucket of water from when I clean the bottom with a syphon. I also then connect a piece of hose to the 3 way tap in the tank to continue cleaning while the water empties. I have another 3 way tap just before the canister so the resulting waste water goes straight to my veggie patch. It may not be the most aesthetically pleasing setup but it sure makes daily cleaning and water changing much easier. Not saying it is the best method for the job but it works for me
    Attached Images Attached Images

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Sayid

+1
    I agree with others that prefilter on the canister input tube is probably the most effective way to keep the nasties out of the filter ,it takes a few second to change it with a clean one and for this reason i can change it daily . I have two canister which i clean very 2 months .

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Sayid

20180728_201641_resized (2).jpg
    20180728_201548_resized.jpg
    sorry but the photos did not upload the first time

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Morgan

Quote Originally Posted by rickztahone View Post
    If that's the case, then you should be good cleaning a filter every two months. However, that means a monthly cleaning of a filter every time. I used to do it every 1st of the month so i wouldn't forget. I used to keep a small group of 25 discus in a 75g but i had a 40g sump. As they grew i had to start selling them off because of the bio-load. Its in my signature if you wanna check it out. I used to do 60-80% daily WC's however.
    I actually have a third filter i could put in there ....I don't have a sump so I'm trying not to put so much hardware in the tank
    do you have any ideas to secure the filter outtake flow on the Fluval to the back of the tank?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Morgan

Quote Originally Posted by Swedgin View Post
    Hi Morgan,

yes, you are correct, the matrix does not and should not be replaced, just rinsed lightly with tank water when the filter is cleaned. The purigen needs to be recharged or replaced when it turns to a darkish brown. The instructions on the bottle usually work spot on. I would suggest to keep an extra portion of purigen handy, so when you do the cleaning, instead of recharging and opening the filter again after a few days you can use the clean purigen and recharge the used one for the next filter clean.
    If you are using fine filter floss in your fluvals I would also suggest to clean them out more frequently, either rinsing or replacing the floss, as it catches most of the gunk and having it sit there for months won’t do you any favors.

I personally run 4-5 canisters on each tank, and I clean one per water change, so every 7-10 days in my case, which gives each filter about a monthly or 6 weekly cleaning interval, like Rick suggested. I don’t use floss though, so I just lightly rinse the media and the pre filter foam. Takes about 10 mins per filter/change

If you’re going for longer intervals I would keep a close eye on NO3 levels

Tobi
    Hi Tobi,

so you have all the intake and outtake tubes inside the tank?
    i can add an additional filter and have 3 running ...how would you secure the water flow outtake nozzles in the tank?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast