AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Stay safe from the fires

Real Name
    Steve

Default Stay safe from the fires

I'm in southern Oregon. We are surrounded by numerous fires in the hundreds to several thousands of acres. The smoke encircles our valley and gets trapped creating unhealthy air conditions. It been that way for two weeks now, since over 2000 lightning strikes in the area from storms on July 16. On the 18th, a transient-caused fire burned around 10 acres on the edge of town, mostly on open land, but a few out building were destroyed, and one transient's body was found in a greenway-creek area popular for their camping. A couple hours south of us, the city of Redding is being attacked by a large fire. It's all adding up to a miserable and dangerous fire season. Be safe and be careful folks!

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Default Re: Stay safe from the fires

This applies to you too Steve. Stay safe my friend. Hope the fires can be contained soon.

We on the other hand are way too wet. If we get a hurricane this summer we are in a world of hurt.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Steve

Yes, I've read the mid-atlantic is already saturated and saw the flood reports. Does that extend to you too? Shame we can't spread it around a bit

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by RogueDiscus View Post
    Yes, I've read the mid-atlantic is already saturated and saw the flood reports. Does that extend to you too? Shame we can't spread it around a bit
    We are not flooding Steve but all the local bodies of water are very full and the daily rain amounts are impressive. If we could only spread it around a bit...wouldn't that be amazing.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Brian

We could use some of that. I water my garden every day and I can't keep up, even with water change water. It's being killed by heat and drought.

Real Name
    Steve

We just watched the new Blade Runner movie last night; another dystopian future movie, but pretty good. I enjoyed the first one, so had to watch it. Our air is just like that at the moment, although we still have that orange ball in the sky. I bring it up because, if things got that bad, somebody'd propose piping water across country like that. California already does it in-state, and some here used to worry they'd want to build a pipeline to the Columbia River to get the water. We do it now for oil and LNG, and many folks here are fighting the use of eminent domain to build a Canadian company's pipeline through the area to the coast, so they can ship LNG to Asia.

The movie's main ideas based on AI are another question.

Life is such a unique thing.

SimplyDiscus Sponsor and MVP Nov.2015 Disgirl's Avatar

Here in the eastern NC we are like Pat described earlier. Over 6" of rain in the last 3 days, with more to come. If only we could send some out west. If we get a hurricane there will be many trees uprooted due to their loose roots in the soil. Is your city/town in any danger Steve? Be careful of breathing that smoky air!
    Barb

Delightful Designs Discus Cones by Barb -- Check out my Sponsor section --HERE--!

Real Name
    Steve

Our town is not currently in danger. The rural/forest interface hillside area is about a mile away, and into forested foothills from there. If something caught fire there, the recent fires show that we'd be in danger. We're on the valley floor, just outside of town in a mixed ag/housing area. But that doesn't seem to be enough if trouble really breaks out.

Right now breathing the smokey air is the threat. I've stopped working outside or playing any golf, but I still sit on my patio. I can't stay inside all day. I ordered some home air purifiers carbon/HEPA, for us and my two kid's families nearby. My daughter is pregnant and my son's family has three small girls. We're all in the higher risk groups, so a gift from Grandpa.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Cyrus

Hope the they can control the fire soon Steve.

Air around here is not very good either, due to pollution (esp. traffic).

I have air purifiers in every room, and boy it's so surreal when I have to change the filters.
    Felt scared every time when imagine if I don't have these things.
    (imo, Sharp's air purifiers are the best.)

I also have these kind of things sitting around in my house.

3M-7502-6057-respirator-gas-mask-Genuine-security-3M-protective-mask-Chlorine-gas-hydrochloric-a.jpg

Would seems like a maniac when put on.
    But I'd love to be the maniac that doesn't have to go to hospital to check out my lungs.
    Water change is not just a chore, it's my life now...

Real Name
    Patty

I just saw the news report on the fires out there. Devastating and so scary. Stay safe Steve. If you have to evacuate, do you have to leave your fish? I left mine during last yrs super storm, but really had no other choice. Luckily, we didn’t even lose power.
    Patty
    If the discus are happy, I’m happy

Real Name
    Steve

We'll, if I had time, I might think about buckets, but unfortunately, they'd be a last consideration. My son and his family are half a block away, or I'd be helping my neighbors. I have irrigation water too, which might come in handy if the power held.

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Dan

My no. 2 son is down in Redding on a Calfire strike team. Thursday night it was so crazy there that emergency personnel held off on structure protection and containment efforts and worked on evacuations only. Here is a video from a helicopter showing part of the fire vortex that was created over west Redding. A rare 'firenado'. So far they have been able to prevent the fire from spreading farther into the city. Now there are two more big fires near Clear Lake, possibly arson. We usually have smoke in the late summer but not like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=veE9OzY3jWU

Real Name
    Steve

Thanks for that Dan. It's just crazy this year.

Registered Member

Latest reported in the Redding Area there
    were more then 800 homes destroyed.
    Looting were spotted already.

Cliff