ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Gh kh

Gold Member
    Real Name
    Lloyd

Default Gh kh

I see test kits for this and I see that GH is general hardness and KH is carbonate hardness (read it, not saying I fully understand it)

Is there a value for each that should be aimed for? And if so, how is the best way to regulate. I assume like PH big swings in the value is a No No

Thanks

Real Name
    Filip

Default Re: Gh kh

Lloyd , In general GH and Kh are not that important for keeping domestic discus and knowing and staying with your tap water values is the best thing you can do for your discus .
    If you decide to breed discus or keeping wilds
    , than getting a RO unit and aiming for less than 100TDS GH / > 5 KH / > 7 pH is something to consider in mind.

RO units is the best way to achieve desired water values along with its consistency.
    Using buffers or acids or other chemicals for this purpose is pretty hard and dangerous task to perform .

Gold Member
    Real Name
    Lloyd

Thank you, that sounds good... I have no plans to try breeding. And trying to keep it as simple as possible.

Gold Member
    Real Name
    James Walker

GH is a measure of Calcium and Magnesium in your water. KH is a measure of bicarbonate in your water. Most water obtained from wells filters through limestone to get there. Limestone is calcium carbonate so in most cases a high GH is going to result in a high KH. To increase GH without increasing KH add calcium chloride or magnesium sulphate or both. To increase KH without increasing GH add Sodium bicarbonate.

RO units should give you water that has KH 0, GH 0 and pH 7.0. Used pure this is not water you want to put fish in.

Find a water report of the source that is feeding you tap water. Post those results, likely you won't have to adjust. For me the GH of my water is ~20 so I mix RO and my tap water to bring it down to ~7 or 8. This also prevents unsightly calcium carbonate deposits around the rim of the tank.

Buffers and acids and chemicals need to be used properly.

Every I have kept Discus my gH has been 0 and my kH either 4.5 or 6 depending on whether I lived in Mississippi or Alabama. I have always had to alter my water for breeding. It depends on what minerals are in your water not the number of how many minerals. This is only true if you want to breed. If all you want to do is keep fish, just use the water you have. You will have to age your water if you have a pH swing of more than .4
    Mama Bear

Gold Member
    Real Name
    Lloyd

Thank you … I do not intend to breed... Just want some smiling faces every morning and evening

Real Name
    Take a wild guess

It would probably still be useful to know GH and KH of your (aged) tapwater. This way you can ensure there is not a huge difference between yours and that of origin. You can ask the forum sponsors what parameters they keep their fish, if there is a significant difference you can adjust the water in your tank to match so to stress as little as possible the fish upon arrival and then gradually with water changes bring it back to how it comes out of your tap.

Gold Member
    Real Name
    Lloyd

thanks - will pick up a test kit and at least see what it is

Real Name
    Bill G.

I might add that I monitor the two......especially since KH being really low can result in PH swings and crashes. I consider these to be part of my water chemistry testing/monitoring. I do mix my well water w RO to lower the two, but keeping my KH and GH levels present at lower levels helps to assure me of relative water stability.

I have 2 or 3 kits that were either gifts or freebies over the years. Haven't opened any of them, but I do use a TDS meter a fair bit.