AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Siames Flying Fox

Real Name
    Rob

Default Siames Flying Fox

Hi everyone

Anyone kept these fish with discus? From what I gather they're peaceful with other species, but quite busy, and get pretty big.

Thanks in advance, Rob

Real Name
    Filip

Default Re: Siames Flying Fox

Ive kept SAE - Siamese algae eater (Chrosochelius siamensis ) through the years along with my discus .They are almost the same as flying fox but they are famous for eating the notorious black beard algae .
    They are cool to keep as long as they are small , but once they grow , they tend to be too boisterous and fast swimming for discus IMO . They freak easily and their fast reactions made my discus get scared and dart occasionally .

Real Name
    Mervin

I have also kept the SAE with discus and a lot of other species.They are great for all types of algae control.The Flying Fox and Chinese Algae Eater acts the same,but not as good for beard algae as the SAE eats every type of algae.The Chinese Algae Eater is a bit more aggressive and gets way big.The Flying Fox and CAE's do not eat black/beard algae.They all get kinda lazy when grown out and look for handouts.SAE are best when they are younger and smaller.

Real Name
    Rob

Thanks for the input guys

Yes, I'm confusing the two species, and meant the SAE's. I have 4 in my tank at present, youngsters. Sounds like a good option for algae control, and rotate young for old as they get too big, either by selling or donating the older ones.

Thanks again, Rob