ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Discus Are Always Shy: Unfair Judgement???

Default Discus Are Always Shy: Unfair Judgement???

So you hear this all the time. Most people that see discus tend to see them in a little tank at the LFS staying completely still, scared out of their whits in dirty water.

My experience from day one has been the exact opposite.

I put this down to 3 reasons.

1. listened to the advice of the masses and got 6 discus almost straight away (3 one week, and 3 the next week).

2. Dither fish (30 cardinals).

3. And the most important in my view and goes against the grain of most things i've read, I keep my fish in my living room which is not very big, has the t.v. on loud most of the day, a 3 year old and 1 year old boy playing in close proximity to the tank, and i've got my hands in the tank picking plants and adjusting things several times a day.

My discus are not scared of anything. They let me stroke them (not sure if normal or not but they swim into my hands...i realise im their feeder haha).

So do you guys agree. Having your discus in a quiet, inactive room is probably going to make them far more skittish than if they are in an active environment from a young age (got mine a 2", they are 4" now).

Default Re: Discus Are Always Shy: Unfair Judgement???

Mine are in a fish room where it's mostly quiet because the dogs and I are the only ones that go down there. They are not the least bit skittish. I thing that as long as they get what they need as far as lots of clean water and good food, they get used to whatever environment they are in.
    Mama Bear

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    Mine are in a fish room where it's mostly quiet because the dogs and I are the only ones that go down there. They are not the least bit skittish. I thing that as long as they get what they need as far as lots of clean water and good food, they get used to whatever environment they are in.
    Ideal. So where has this opinion come from. Everyone who i talk to about discus (which is everyone to be honest much to their annoyance) seems to think they just hide and stay still :lol:

Real Name
    Steve

Maybe I missed something, but I think you answered your own question in your OP. Small, wholesale-quality discus, in a LFS tank with gravel and other stuff, are going to be stressed and hide. How many of the folks you've talked to have seen healthy discus in a well run tank?
    Last edited by RogueDiscus; 07-31-2018 at 04:27 PM.

Real Name
    Steve

But I also agree with you that they will get comfortable with you and can probably handle quite a bit of activity outside the tank. They are social creatures.
    Last edited by RogueDiscus; 07-31-2018 at 03:53 PM.

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Davis View Post
    Ideal. So where has this opinion come from. Everyone who i talk to about discus (which is everyone to be honest much to their annoyance) seems to think they just hide and stay still :lol:
    If you are referring to people who mostly see discus in the LFS? If yes I could see them feeling that way. TBH healthy, well feed discus are not shy. They are more like puppy dogs...always begging.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Quote Originally Posted by RogueDiscus View Post
    Maybe I missed something, but I think you answered your own question in your OP. Small, wholesale-quality discus, in a LFS tank with gravel and other stuff, are going to be stressed and hide. How many of the folks you've talked to have seen healthy discus in a well run tank?
    Just wanting to get a discussion going really.

Real Name
    Filip

Agree on this one Marc. They are far from shy once they adopt to their surroundings (sounds , vibes , lights etc. )
    They seem more aware of their surroundings than most other freshwaters are and they seem to respond and react to it more noticably . That's why they might be scared and shy at first but become puppies once they settle.
    You can't see this progression in behaviour with most of the other fish (except Cyclids maybe ) who seem to act the same way from the day one through the years after .

But as others already mentioned , good water quality and good health is the most important factor when it comes to their activity and vigour.

I have heard that Oscars are more like pets like dogs than they're like other fish. I have never had one but it would be a cool fish to have if I were down to just one tank and wanted a pet. I've seen a big puffer fish act like a pet when it saw it's owner. It was totally cool.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Ricardo

I have made it a point through out the years to tell people not to tip-toe around their discus tanks. When it was time to eat, i would literally bang my finger (has a ring on it) on the tank wall and they never bolted. They were in a super high traffic area that had blind spots as well and they were fine. When you start dealing with unhealthy discus, they have a propensity to hide and dart more easily.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

That's the way you do when you want to train a show fish. You tap on the tank and toss in the food and them shine a small high beam flash light on them.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Brian

I find the more of a high traffic area, the less skittish they are. My QT tank is is a pretty busy room and they are always begging for food and swimming around my hands pecking for food while I'm cleaning the tank. My older fish are in my fish room (aka, spare bedroom) and they sometimes freak out when I approach the tank. I have noticed they are very comfortable when the tanks are full and facing each other. I guess they at least have other fish to keep them company, lol...

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    I have heard that Oscars are more like pets like dogs than they're like other fish. I have never had one but it would be a cool fish to have if I were down to just one tank and wanted a pet. I've seen a big puffer fish act like a pet when it saw it's owner. It was totally cool.
    Dont know if you have ever had one, but Betta fish are much like that. So much personality for such a tiny fish. Very aware of their surroundings and their feeders...i mean owners lol