ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: In Search Of Elysium

Default Re: In Search Of Elysium

Quote Originally Posted by Mando View Post
    You can really see the impact that the background/substrate have on the fish.
    It really does. The white sand reflects even more light and the colours pop so much more.

Real Name
    Filip

I agree with your wife Marc . Your tank needed it's haircut badly . I like the current stone look you've made but can't help to say that your previous scape with 2 separate stone Ireland's on the sides look much neater than this one .
    Anyways , can't argue that all the scapes youve done so far exceede the average of what a discus planted scape normaly looks .

Real Name
    Frank

I love your scapes. I wonder if the constant changing of scapes bothers the discus in any way? Doesn’t seem to.

Quote Originally Posted by Filip View Post
    I agree with your wife Marc . Your tank needed it's haircut badly . I like the current stone look you've made but can't help to say that your previous scape with 2 separate stone Ireland's on the sides look much neater than this one .
    Anyways , can't argue that all the scapes youve done so far exceede the average of what a discus planted scape normaly looks .
    Yeah, I liked the two islands, but it just felt sterile. This is somewhere between the jungle and that scape. Keeps me busy and interested as it changes

Quote Originally Posted by fljones3 View Post
    I love your scapes. I wonder if the constant changing of scapes bothers the discus in any way? Doesn’t seem to.
    Cant say i have noticed it does at all.

Thought i would post a link to my other ecosystem tank guys in case anyone was interested:

Registered Member
    Real Name
    John Bickerstaff

Awesome Tanks Marc! Wow... I just subscribed on YouTube...

I've been successful with Discus before, and always wanted a jungle type tank like the one you have. Only bare-bottom tanks to date... I'll look through your videos first, but I'm wondering if you'd be willing to give a little advice on the how...?

I'm starting up again and plan to do a custom build of an acrylic tank... do everything right from the bottom up... Tank, lights, sump, etc... Ideally, everything "right" for a planted tank as beautiful as yours.

Two questions if I may:

• One thing I've always wondered (and I suppose this proves I'm a bare-bottom tank only guy so far) how in the world do you keep the scape so clean (sand in particular)? Seems there'd be so much eddy etc because of all the plants etc, that water circulation alone wouldn't do the trick...
      I guess the embedded question is: Do you have to do a lot of "by hand" work to keep it looking that nice?
    • Do all those plants make a significant difference to the water quality? I.E. do they absorb a lot of the nitrates?

And here is my latest video which includes all aquariums.

There is a good section on the discus tank which shows everything in much more detail.

This is probably the best one I've done. I was still editing at 1.30am this morning lol (And now up with the children at 6.30am lol...silly me).

Registered Member

Hey Marc,

I’ve had a good look around your YouTube channel and watch a good few videos. It’s really great with lots of very useful content!!

Mick

Quote Originally Posted by MickO'S View Post
    Hey Marc,

I’ve had a good look around your YouTube channel and watch a good few videos. It’s really great with lots of very useful content!!

Mick
    Well thank you very much Mick. That's very nice of you to say. Make sure you subscribe and click the bell to see new videos. I'm adding them regularly ��

Registered Member

😂
    Done

Quote Originally Posted by solrJohn View Post
    Awesome Tanks Marc! Wow... I just subscribed on YouTube...

I've been successful with Discus before, and always wanted a jungle type tank like the one you have. Only bare-bottom tanks to date... I'll look through your videos first, but I'm wondering if you'd be willing to give a little advice on the how...?

I'm starting up again and plan to do a custom build of an acrylic tank... do everything right from the bottom up... Tank, lights, sump, etc... Ideally, everything "right" for a planted tank as beautiful as yours.

Two questions if I may:

• One thing I've always wondered (and I suppose this proves I'm a bare-bottom tank only guy so far) how in the world do you keep the scape so clean (sand in particular)? Seems there'd be so much eddy etc because of all the plants etc, that water circulation alone wouldn't do the trick...
      I guess the embedded question is: Do you have to do a lot of "by hand" work to keep it looking that nice?
    • Do all those plants make a significant difference to the water quality? I.E. do they absorb a lot of the nitrates?
    As said in the pm my friend. I don't really do any work. 30% water change every few weeks.

In the latest video (4 posts above), I show my filtration in the discus tank. The key is high flow and an internal filter hidden at the back. The doesn't allow any detritus to settle. I clean the sponge in this filter every 3 days which takes a couple of minutes. This means there is never a high amount of waste in the tank.

I also feed with small amounts at a time. Taking care to only feed more when the amount I've put in has all been eaten before adding more. Any small bits the discus don't eat, the small fish finish off. Any food settling on the bottom is either eaten by the corys or sucked up by the internal filter.

So just over a month progress. The tank is fully settled. Background plants already grown to the top.

Will need its first trim very soon.

Discus 3.jpg

Registered Member
    Real Name
    John Bickerstaff

Thanks for the reply. Youtube videos are really great. The tank is beautiful and elegant.

Ahhh... bottom feeders... that's an idea I should have implemented. I had one, but he was a vegetarian and didn't touch the discus food... Cory cats, yes?

Do you do anything special for the plants (co2 injection etc?)

Do you find that the plants make a significant difference to the nitrate concentration? I'm curious about how effective that can be...

Thanks again and may your fish always be happy and healthy!

Quote Originally Posted by solrJohn View Post
    Thanks for the reply. Youtube videos are really great. The tank is beautiful and elegant.

Ahhh... bottom feeders... that's an idea I should have implemented. I had one, but he was a vegetarian and didn't touch the discus food... Cory cats, yes?

Do you do anything special for the plants (co2 injection etc?)

Do you find that the plants make a significant difference to the nitrate concentration? I'm curious about how effective that can be...

Thanks again and may your fish always be happy and healthy!
    I use diy co2. Sugar and yeast in a bottle with airline tubing. You can see the bottle next to the canister filter under the tank in the video.

I've not measured the levels in my water for a very long time so I couldn't tell you the nitrate concentration. The only thing I monitor is temperature.

I used to monitor regularly but nothing ever changed.

And let's face it, I watch my tank so often that it's very obvious if there is ever a problem.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast