ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: In Search Of Elysium

Default Re: In Search Of Elysium

Quote Originally Posted by Filip View Post
    Very nice setup Marc. Although your previous set ups were more detailed and artistic , I think that this one suits the looks and needs of discus fish the most .
    What soil have you put in those "stone pots " for the plants ?
    Do you still add Co2 and ferts with this plant selection ?
    It's tropica aqua soil. Yes, still add diy co2 and a dash of ferts on a water change

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Armando

you're going to have to give me that "dash" of ferts recipe lol. Right when I fall in love with a scape, you come out with a better one! love your style.

Quote Originally Posted by Mando View Post
    you're going to have to give me that "dash" of ferts recipe lol. Right when I fall in love with a scape, you come out with a better one! love your style.
    Thanks very much. Basically, everytime i do a water change (which is probably 30% every two weeks at the moment), i add 30ml of your basic chelated micronutrients. Thats all. I figured that the fish provided the macros so i dont add any. I found that if i add macro ferts, i get much more green spot algae. So i just stick to the micro's and everything stays good.

Real Name
    Patty

How did I miss this thread? I agree the current scape is my favorite. Of course I thought the first scape was perfect and thought, “ Oh no!” when I saw you broke it down, but you continue to delight me with these scapes. The latest is my absolute favorite. Thanks for inspiring me. If I ever get brave enough to try a planted discus tank, I will follow your lead.
    Patty
    If the discus are happy, I’m happy

Quote Originally Posted by Pices View Post
    How did I miss this thread? I agree the current scape is my favorite. Of course I thought the first scape was perfect and thought, “ Oh no!” when I saw you broke it down, but you continue to delight me with these scapes. The latest is my absolute favorite. Thanks for inspiring me. If I ever get brave enough to try a planted discus tank, I will follow your lead.
    Patty
    Im kind of wanting to break down the current scape now haha.

Really want to go for a proper biotope style setup with blackwater, murky substrate and low light....hmmmmmmm.

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Armando

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Davis View Post
    Im kind of wanting to break down the current scape now haha.

Really want to go for a proper biotope style setup with blackwater, murky substrate and low light....hmmmmmmm.
    Can you explain a biotope tank? what makes it different.

Real Name
    Take a wild guess

In a nutshell a biotope is a tank set up to resemble as faithfully as possible the original habitat, with water, substrate, plants (if any, not in this case), and decor purely aiming for that and not so much for esthetics. If the aim is to re-create a slice of Rio Negro then it means "blackwater" stained by humic acids, leaf litter over a sandy bottom and wood (ideally from a species indigenous to the Amazon).

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Armando

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Sabucchi View Post
    In a nutshell a biotope is a tank set up to resemble as faithfully as possible the original habitat, with water, substrate, plants (if any, not in this case), and decor purely aiming for that and not so much for esthetics. If the aim is to re-create a slice of Rio Negro then it means "blackwater" stained by humic acids, leaf litter over a sandy bottom and wood (ideally from a species indigenous to the Amazon).
    OH! this sounds interesting.

OH! this sounds interesting.
    Ok, so here is my take on a biotope. The plants are not quite accurate...and neither is a lot of other aspects.

The wife wasnt a fan of the full tea stained looked so ive gone somewhere in the middle (little does she know that i will be adding more leaf litter and the bog wood will continue to leach. The floating plants will spread and cover more light and give a nice tone of light to the tank.

How To. River bank aquascape.jpg

And of course, here is the making of video:

I've added a darker sand to the substrate now and the wood is started to release tannings so getting some nice mearkyness.
    A little bit cloudy still from adding the sand.
    Also added some more wood to the left front as this area was a bit too open and the two swords, left and right which will will in those areas nicely over the next few months.

Discus.jpg

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Armando

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Davis View Post
    Ok, so here is my take on a biotope. The plants are not quite accurate...and neither is a lot of other aspects.

The wife wasnt a fan of the full tea stained looked so ive gone somewhere in the middle (little does she know that i will be adding more leaf litter and the bog wood will continue to leach. The floating plants will spread and cover more light and give a nice tone of light to the tank.

How To. River bank aquascape.jpg
    This looks great! What's the plant over the cobalt here? Is this just some kind of java fern? Tank looks amazing. I'd definitely add more leaves or secretly add the tint to the water without the wife noticing. A drop a day. lol

Real Name
    Take a wild guess

...As long as you avoid going too realistic, She Who Must Be Obeyed would not be best pleased!
    https://youtu.be/tysGxRYRubk

...As long as you avoid going too realistic, She Who Must Be Obeyed would not be best pleased!
    https://youtu.be/tysGxRYRubk
    That looks so good to me. If you put it in the living room...everyone will just think you haven't cleaned the tank in years though.

This looks great! What's the plant over the cobalt here? Is this just some kind of java fern? Tank looks amazing. I'd definitely add more leaves or secretly add the tint to the water without the wife noticing. A drop a day. lol
    Look at the last picture ive added. Its got fresh bogwood which is tinting the water already.

Im thinking there might be too much light.

Should i go for one light source point. say the top right and angle across the tank to simulate the sun. Will cast nice deep shadows.

Real Name
    Take a wild guess

Should be a cool effect!

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast