AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Sick discus, what is going on!?

Registered Member

Exclamation Sick discus, what is going on!?

So this is definitely not what I wanted my first post on this forum to be but.... here I am. So I have 8 discus. 5 (snakeskins? That’s what they were sold to me as might possibly be turquoise’s) and 2 red melons and a pigeon blood.

So foolishly with my last discus (red melon) I got him from a source I have gotten discus from before and he looked great I did not quarantine him. (Never doing that again) So at first I noticed three of my snakeskins holding one of their pectoral fins to their body the fins were damaged so I assumed it was the bigger discus picking on them. Then today my red melon looks awful both do actually but one is worse. He has white patches on his fins and tail and what looks like a milky white stuff on his side. Another one looks like it has a spot where scales have been removed and also has the milky white stuff on its side. I’ve never had a sick fish before so I’m distraught.

Background on caring for my tank. I do a 50-75% water change every 1-2 days. I use only RO water as I have a RO system hooked to my entire house for my well water. I also use prime. The water parameters are good.
    6.6 ph 0 ammonia 0 nitrites 5ppm nitrates. I posted a video to a discus group on Facebook looking for possible answers I got many answers as I’m sure I will on here too I just need to know where to go from here. Most people said bacterial or parasite. Some people said their breathing was not normal so I’m looking for some advice !

CE27B394-93F8-4085-9623-128493600BE2.jpg

Real Name
    Take a wild guess

Default Re: Sick discus, what is going on!?

What temperature do you keep your fish? Is the tank BB or with decor/plants?

Hi Rebecca,
    Welcome to SimplyDiscus ! I'm sorry to hear of the problems.

It would be very helpful if you could fill out our questionaire http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...lease-complete and cut and paste it to this thread.

How long passed between when you mixed the new fish with your existing group and when you saw the problem start and which group showed symptoms first?

Al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Registered Member

84. Just recently switched it to bare bottom. There is a very large piece of drift wood and I had a couple plants but removed those when I went bare bottom.