AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Varied diet question/suggestions

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Default Re: Varied diet question/suggestions

Hi Jay. Was the BH cube frozen or defrosted when you put it in the tank? I read on SD somewhere that it is wise to defrost it 1st. I am a returning to discus keeper after 20 yrs so I am learning from your questions as well 👍🇦🇺

Real Name
    Patty

Hi Patty,
    Sorry I forgot to mention that, I do have a small layer of fine sand that I vac every time I do a water change, is this going to be a problem in the long run? It’s not much sand and I can remove it if needed
    Jay

A lot of people use a thin layer of sand and vacuum it really well during wc’s. I had sand for a while, but I tired of the grind of cleaning it and the algae. I leave my light on too long for 1 thing. One of my fish got sick and I can’t point to the sand as the reason, but I decided to simplify the equation and got rid of it. I say as long as your fish are happy and your stirring it up so gasses don’t get trapped underneath, you are golden. Maybe others will chime in here on how they are successful with sand and I’ll give it another go and stop leaving the light on for 12-15 hrs! Ha ha
    Patty
    Last edited by Pices; 08-09-2018 at 11:09 PM.
    If the discus are happy, I’m happy

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by danotaylor View Post
    Hi Jay. Was the BH cube frozen or defrosted when you put it in the tank? I read on SD somewhere that it is wise to defrost it 1st. I am a returning to discus keeper after 20 yrs so I am learning from your questions as well ������
    Hi! Yes I do defrost the cubes for a minute or two, usually when it sinks is when I feed it. Also welcome back!

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pices View Post
    Hi Patty,
    Sorry I forgot to mention that, I do have a small layer of fine sand that I vac every time I do a water change, is this going to be a problem in the long run? It’s not much sand and I can remove it if needed
    Jay

A lot of people use a thin layer of sand and vacuum it really well during wc’s. I had sand for a while, but I tired of the grind of cleaning it and the algae. I leave my light on too long for 1 thing. One of my fish got sick and I can’t point to the sand as the reason, but I decided to simplify the equation and got rid of it. I say as long as your fish are happy and your stirring it up so gasses don’t get trapped underneath, you are golden. Maybe others will chime in here on how they are successful with sand and I’ll give it another go and stop leaving the light on for 12-15 hrs! Ha ha
    Patty
    Yeah I regularly stir up the sand to get the gasses out. We have the same problem in terms of lighting lolI keep it on for 12-15 hours as well so I can stare at my fish while I’m in the living room I do have the occasional green spot algae that appears on the glass once a week during a water change, but I deal with that by using a magnetic cleaner

Patty, I agree with you about the substrate issue with beef heart but I must strongly disagree with you as far as the live black worms. You are going by what you have heard or read, not by your personal experience. As long as the worms come from a clean source and are rinsed every day they are the best food to promote fast growth and excellent health in Discus. I have fed them since time began (well since I started in Discus in 2001 which is close enough) I feed them from a sponsor here http://forum.simplydiscus.com/forumd...sno-California The only reason I don't buy them much these days is that FedEx overnight shipping has gone up so much in price. But all things considered, I believe that they are the best food for Discus.

Anyone who says otherwise is itchin' for a fight
    Last edited by LizStreithorst; 08-10-2018 at 04:27 PM.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Patty

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    Patty, I agree with you about the substrate issue with beef heart but I must strongly disagree with you as far as the live black worms. You are going by what you have heard or read, not by your personal experience. As long as the worms come from a clean source and are rinsed every day they are the best food to promote fast growth and excellent health in Discus. I have fed them since time began (well since I started in Discus in 2001 which is close enough) I feed them from a sponsor here http://forum.simplydiscus.com/forumd...sno-California The only reason I don't buy them much these days is that FedEx overnight shipping has gone up so much in price. But all things considered, I believe that they are the best food for Discus.

Anyone who says otherwise is itchin' for a fight
    Well that’s good to know Liz! Thanks for correcting me. Do you have to order them direct? The article said there are only 2 places that sell them in the US (both in CA) and they sell to all the lfs. So why couldn’t you just buy them from your lfs if they are the same supplier? I bought them once and my fish loved them, but you’re right, I read something that made me change my mind. Glad you changed it back, but want to be sure it’s safe to get from lfs.
    Patty
    If the discus are happy, I’m happy

I wouldn't want to get them from a re-seller because you can never be sure that they are cared for correctly while they have them. They absolutely must be rinsed with chlorinated water every day or they will die and bacteria will get going in them. If I buy them direct I care for them myself so I know that they are healthy because I look at them every day when I rinse them. It's not worth the risk. Besides, they have to pay the same horrendous FedEx Overnight charges as we do plus make a profit on them. They must be terribly expensive that way.

I buy a lb. or two at a time and they last forever.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

I use to buy a pound at a time from my wholesaler but they ship horribly in this hot weather even with ice packs and 12 hours transit time .. Out of a pound I normally get half that amount after cleaning them out and removing all the non worms ... Never seen a healthy discus not eat them but have had issues with them not wanting to eat anything else.. For now I’ll stick with Al’s fdbw and night give it another shot when the weather cools down..

Mine from Dan arrive fine, even in the Mississippi heat. But FedEx delivers to my shop early, and I have cold water and a container in my little fridge to rinse them before I take them home.

The white things in them are planaria. They are harmless to the fish. I never bother to remove them.
    Mama Bear

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12