AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bio-load filtration capability? Can I have too much?

Registered Member

Default Bio-load filtration capability? Can I have too much?

Hi all and thank you for any input!

I have a 43 gallon high and will have a 35 gallon max/ 20 gallon normal running sump/ refugium. Running about 800gph. I also have made plans for running two 6in dia. × 20in tall fluidized sand filters. Along with the normal bio media and sponges and pre filters I think I should be able to handle a pretty large Bio load. Ordering most of my parts in a few days and figured it would be a smart idea to ask on here first.

Will I hurt my fish by having too much filtration?

Real Name
    Filip

Default Re: Bio-load filtration capability? Can I have too much?

Hi and welcome to simply discus Hynsicker .
    You can never have over filtration and the general rule that applies is the more the better .
    However there is a point when adding more biofiltration is becoming usseles because benificial bacteria is in an equilibrium with the ammount of ammonia produced by the fish . Since we can't track that amount easily and can not quantify the beneficial bacteria its always safer to have more biofiltration to ensure this equilibrium .

With that said , there is a lot more going on in the water than just nitrates and ammonia cycle and that's why over filtration can not guaranty you clean water if you don't change it with new fresh water. Water changes are extremely important for discus , regardless of the filtration included.

Another thing I want to point out is your tank volume. Its too small for keeping anything else than just a proven pair of discus in there.
    Discus are big and messy fish that require pristine water conditions and lots of space , that's why a general stocking rule for them is one discus per 10 gallons of water .

Real Name
    Ricardo

Over-filtering is fine so long as the sum of all filters does not make the tank itself turbulent from all of the filters.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Registered Member

Thanks guys! I went on last and watched a bunch of videos about this and read a bunch too. I will be toning down the flow rate since I don't want the tank to be overly turbulent. Eventually I'll post pictures and I'm sure I'll ask more questions.

Gold Member
    Real Name
    James Walker

Some shoot for turn over rate of ~ 5 for the filter so for a 35 gallon tank you should shoot for 175 gph filtration rate. Even double would be ok but 800 gph is getting to a pretty high flow rate!

Filtration and circulation are different variables. Depending on how your sumps will be setup, anywhere from 3-10x turnover is appropriate. Extra flow should come from circulation pumps.

Registered Member

I've reworked my plans a bit. Shooting for 400gph now. I can fit a 29 gallon tank as a sump under my 43. Making a 5"d×18"h FSB running maybe 150 gph. Dual 1" overflows with ball valves controlling it for the sump. I'd rather keep the down flow lower at first until the pre filters get saturated with good bacteria and then be able to increase flow if needed.

There is nothing in my tank yet except for Honey Pothos sitting in a HOB with just sponges and some media on the bottom. I'm planning on starting a fish less cycle, gonna throw a raw shrimp in to get it going.

My pump won't be here until Sunday and I'm picking up the 29 tomorrow my fish OCD has already started and I don't have a fish yet. Lol. Thanks again for all of your input!

Real Name
    Take a wild guess

Hi, any idea what you are going to put in the actual sump? A wet/dry/trickle Tower generally requires less flow than let's say a moving bed.

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Hi Ty and welcome to Simply!! What are you planning to add fish wise to the tank?
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Concerning the FSB, I think you'd be much happier with a RDSB. Does way more for a system than FSB. For the return pump, make sure you take into account losses from head and friction. 400 gph could easily become half that depending on your setup. I'd recommend 10x for a sand based sump and very fine mechanical filtration to avoid issues with the sand later on.

Registered Member

I definitely want discus and a low L pleco that can handle the higher heat. I will be setting up a 75 gallon tank soon. But for now I'm thinking six to eight 2" discus to start as they grow I will move them into the 75.

L201 is an okay choice, as they are attractively patterned and less expensive than most. They are shy like most hypancistrus though, so look towards corys like sterbai or gossei if you want to see them.

Real Name
    Willie

All good. Just know that filtration and water changes are completely unrelated. More filtration does not mean fewer water changes.

Willie
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Registered Member

Fortunately this tank lives in the basement about 10 feet from a sink, faucet and a drain lol.

My sump is built a basic 3 baffle system. 11" deep running, with two 1" overflows with ball valves into socks. Next chamber lava stone and sponges, over a bubble wall. And finally back out thru polishing sponges and up thru a Jebao DCT-4000.

I'm waiting on the proper sand for the FSB. And ordering a new powerhead/ w air to run it.

As soon as I figure out how to post pictures on here I will. Lol

Seriously though this an awesome forum. I have learned an absolute ton of information in a very short time. I haven't kept fish since the early 90's. I raised and bred Jack Dempseys as well as Black Veiltail Angel fish.

The nitrogen cycle remains the same, but our understanding of how to get rid of it now amazes me.
    Last edited by Ty Hunsicker; 08-07-2018 at 01:50 AM. Reason: Because my brain works faster than my typing into my phone lol

Registered Member

Last edited by Second Hand Pat; 08-07-2018 at 08:01 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast