AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bio-load filtration capability? Can I have too much?

Registered Member

Default Re: Bio-load filtration capability? Can I have too much?

The tanks are up and running smoothly now at around 250-300gph. I did add a light sand bottom. I have my Sterbai corys in and they seem very happy keeping the bottom clean. I'm also using a Finnex 24/7 & bought a few pouches of purigen. The purigen is mostly made from magic from what I can tell haha. I'm not going add the Discus for few weeks. Just to make sure everything runs perfectly. Thanks again for all the veteran advice and knowledge.

Real Name
    Bill

Hey Ty,

Congrats on getting your system going! Agree with you that this forum is a treasure trove of info, including for long-time fishkeepers who are new (or relatively new) to discus, myself included. Now that you have your main system up and running, I think the next stuff you want to search the forum for (besides what discus to get, which is always fun) would be the rationale for aging water and the systems people use for water changes. A lot of us start with straight tap water but switch to an aging barrel, and also find that creating a really efficient WC system makes maintaining things a lot more fun (or at least less onerous.) So, things like large hoses and/or pumps for draining and filling, temperature controllers and heaters for water barrels, etc., are really nice to have. The other thing to check out would be Al's quarantine procedure for discus. Even if your sterbai cory do well for six weeks, that doesn't mean you will want to expose 2" new discus to them if you go that route. Small discus especially when stressed from shipping, etc., may not have immune systems that can deal with even "minor" pathogens that don't affect other fish, but are still present.

Again, congrats on getting setup and hope you have fun thinking about the next steps as well.

Registered Member

Thanks, I have an aging tank already in place with and aerator and a heater laying on a lava rock bed. And I am thinking of making an auto drip water change system. But I want it up and running consistently before I add the Discus. Also I've been treating the corys with paragaurd to insure they are healthy and I plan on doing the same for the discus. I want happy healthy fish for years to come.

Real Name
    Bill

Sounds good. I've also studied some of what people do for water change systems, whether drip-type, automated or semi-automated designs, and personally I would love to have one. (Not happening until I get a fish room, unfortunately.) Since it sounds like you're in the basement with a floor drain, etc., you could rig up something that would contribute to the cause. As everyone points out, drip systems don't eliminate the need for hands-on work with the tank, but in combination it seems to me to be a great addition. Look forward to seeing how you do it.

Registered Member

I think the easiest auto water change system to use is going to be the Smart touch AWS from AutoAqua. It seems a bit pricey but it will pay for itself by not making me do water changes. I will still be vacuuming everyday but it won't take very much time at all. I'm going to try to post a short 2 min video of my sump setup. It is a simple diy sump, all the build info for the sump is included in the YouTube details. Sorry for the way I sound in the video as I have been undergoing dental procedures. Thanks

https://youtu.be/BoVSgz1XzGA
    Last edited by Ty Hunsicker; 08-29-2018 at 12:38 AM.

Registered Member

A quick update I have my 75 up and running. Using the 29g sump and it's working as I had hoped. Still no Discus but I want to have everything running consistently before I ever put them in. https://i.imgur.com/fFyteUI.jpg

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12