AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I have a house hen

Real Name
    Take a wild guess

Default Re: I have a house hen

P.S. my wife used to take meloxicam too but years ago our doctor switched her to the subsequent generation of nsaids (Etoricoxcib), she finds it more effective and gentler on her stomach

You have it made, Paul. No wonder you have so many animals. Between you and your wife you can care for them all without spending an arm and a leg. I'm lucky because my vet and I have a closer relationship than client/doctor. I rented my grooming room from him for over 20 years. I learned most of what I know from hanging out on the vet side when I wasn't busting it doing dogs. I was a breeder of show dairy goats at the time and he tells folks that everything he knows about goats he learned from me. It's a relationship based on respect.

He texted me back that he has used meloxicam with great success in the past. He told me to promise not to eat her, but what does it matter if I take the same drug myself every day? (he doesn't think that I'd have the guts to put her in the stew pot, but that's exactly what I will do when the time comes)
    Mama Bear

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Sabucchi View Post
    P.S. my wife used to take meloxicam too but years ago our doctor switched her to the subsequent generation of nsaids (Etoricoxcib), she finds it more effective and gentler on her stomach
    I take 5, sometimes 6 pills every morning on an empty stomach and have not yet had a problem. I must have a cast iron stomach. But if the Estoricoxib works better for the pain I'll ask my family doctor about it.
    Mama Bear

Paul, my Ol'ladee is feeling so much better that she has left home to hang out with the other 2 hens her age. She even goes to roost in the chicken house. The only time she comes in my house is when she comes with her two sisters. It is making it hard to give her her meds with the other two around.

My vet gave it to me without question. He isn't a pill pusher, he just trusts my judgement. He and his wife go to Italy every year for two weeks. You two would like one another.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Take a wild guess

Really glad to hear it is improving her quality of life, fantastic news!

Registered Member

Mycoplasma synoviae is easily treated. Some of the oldest antibiotics that are useless for anything else today still work on Mycoplasma.

If that's the case I will have this hen tested. If she is positive and it is transmitted horizontally I will have a young one tested, too. It's a good time because they have not started laying yet.

Is this a blood test? If so how does one draw blood from a chicken? Is it from the jugular as they do with cats?
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

It's a serum test so blood is needed. It's usually taken from the wing vein.

Thanks. My vet is up for anything. He took care of the zoo animals until he was so busy he couldn't any more. He always takes care of me, though.
    Mama Bear

I finally heard back from my vet. I thought for a while that he didn't want to be bothered with a chicken but I was wrong. He's in Montana until Thursday (probably come cow thing. Be breeds Gelbvie's) I'll set up an appointment with him when he returns. If this hen tests positive I'll treat the entire flock.
    Mama Bear

Since I heard from my vet I ran out of meloxicam (I spilled some) and the Ol'laydee is still doing well. I've decided not to bother having her tested. If she is positive I'll have to treat the entire flock and they have started laying.

Right now she's out with her girl friends. There's a place with an open shed they can go to get out of the weather on the other side of the house where the younger chickens don't go. She still comes in the house for the night. She has started molting so in addition to chicken poop I have feathers to clean up.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Take a wild guess

Glad to hear she is still doing ok and sorry for the spillage (some may be tempted to crush one of their meloxicam tablets and dilute it in a bit of sugary water and make their own metacam, not that I would ever suggest doing such a thing of course). I think you can delay testing until it is more convenient, unless you notice more obvious signs of the possible presence of the bug, such as swollen joints, respiratory problems or a drop in egg laying (even if the symptoms are just sporadic and in different individuals) in that case I would test sooner rather than later (1 older bird that struggles to walk can just be arthritis , a number of younger ones doing it on the other hand would be more suspicious)

Thanks for the good advice, Paul.

Not that I would ever do such a thing, but if one were to do that how much sugar water would one mix with a 15 mg. meloxicam pill to be a good dose at 6 drops for a chicken?

No other chickens are showing symptoms of anything. The hen with problems isn't laying. Perhaps she'll start again after the molt. I don't mind eating her eggs because I'm on the same drug. The tad of it in the eggs will do me more help than harm.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Take a wild guess

Should anyone think of doing such a thing the standard concentration of metacam is 1.5 mg/ml so one would grind up one tablet and mix it with 10 ml of water close to saturated with glucose or sugar (to act as preserving agent)...

got it. Thanks.
    Mama Bear

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12