ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: newbie: Lighting for new Discus tank

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Scott Parsons

Default newbie: Lighting for new Discus tank

Hello all I am new to discus but have been doing aquariums for awhile. I currently have a 10 gallon planted tank low tech and a 75 gallon planted tank High tech community tank, we have 2 beautiful blue discus in there with the rest of our community and they seem to be doing well. The set up we have for our new tank is a 50 gallon 30x18x24, with a single piece of large drift wood and a sand substrate, we use RO water, water has not been added to tank yet. gonna use a fluval 300 canister filter and 300 watt heater, don't plan on it being breeding at this time. Just need to know what type of light we should use if I use the Finnex planted I have on my 75, algae will go crazy. So with no plants in the tank really don't want to cause algae growth as my main plant in the tank. I realize algea will grow but would like to keep it to a minimum.
    Thanks
    Pinfish

Real Name
    Filip

Default Re: newbie: Lighting for new Discus tank

Hi and welcome Scott.
    You can use whatever light source you wish with discus. To avoid algae and express discus colours I would choose blue , red and white LEDs on separate dimmers if possible .
    Since you won't keep any plants I think that even the stronger led strips will suffice .
    Also , In a almost empty tank algae are pretty easy to manage . You take away decor for bleach, PP or dry out treatments whenever you choose , glass is easy to wipe down during maintenance and the sand can be easily cleaned with siphoning and stiring down the top layer .
    p.s. You should aim at 5-6 discus in your new tank at best .
    Good luck Scott and keep us updated on your progress .

Registered Member

Default Re: newbie: Lighting for new Discus tank

I have the current USA satellite pro and love it . U can adjust all colours and how bright it is but it is a little more expensive. .i would also like to say have at least 5to6 they are even more beautiful is a school .