ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Discus still skittish

Default Discus still skittish

It’s been over 3 weeks since I got my 6 Discus. They’re around 5 inches and are in a 90 gallon tank with 6 Rams and 3 small Bristlenose Plecos. Tank is a display tank in a high traffic area with driftwood,gravel and plastic plants. Water parameters are fine. Temp is at 85. They don’t go crazy after food, but kind of graze in the gravel later. When I walk in the room all 6 move up to the top right corner of the tank. Then when I sit down they slowly head towards the bottom and school together. Was thinking of getting a few more Discus and maybe some Cardinal tetras. Any advice?

Registered Member

Default Re: Discus still skittish

Sucks I know, but give it time and they will settle.

Registered Member

Just to be clear. I purchased adult discus in 2016 and they behaved the same way you describe. I had never kept discus before but a fellow from where I live brought quality discus in from a supplier in Alberta Canada...forget the name, and the opportunity was a God send.Anyway could not go near the tank for a few weeks. I asked the fellow I purchased from and he said give them time. If anyone in the room moved too quickly they spooked bad. Sure enough they settled and were eating out of my hand in no time. Patience is all it took. I got out of the hobby unfortunately and he took them back. I got back in when i I was more able to commit to keeping discus.
    Last edited by megatrev62; 08-12-2018 at 11:54 AM.

It’s amazing because when my wife walks by they’re fine. But me noooooooo. What do you think about me getting more.Say 2 or three more Discus. Do you think it will make a difference? They would be from a different breeder. What about some Cardinals too?

Registered Member

Sorry but they hate your guts...lol...kidding. I would not hesitate to add the cardinals, provided they are healthy....ie quarantine . I will leave the adding discus to the pros. They say that adding from different breeders could be a problem.

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by mr limpet View Post
    It’s amazing because when my wife walks by they’re fine. But me noooooooo. What do you think about me getting more.Say 2 or three more Discus. Do you think it will make a difference? They would be from a different breeder. What about some Cardinals too?
    When you walk by the tank bend over so you appear shorter. I am acclimating some new wilds and there are only two in a 75. Talk about skittish. After a week they are slowly coming out. It takes time.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

So Cardinals would be ok? What would be the problem with Discus from different breeders? Just asking. Would they not get along or is it some disease they might have?

Real Name
    Filip

Give them some time and patience .Older discus tend to adjust slower than the juvvies just like with humans .
    Adding any fish and even plant to your existing stock poses a risk of cross - contamination so be carefully deciding what new stock is really worth the risk .
    6 week quarantine procedure described in the begginer section is a good and safety practice with every new stock you add .

Ok. I’ll just wait it out. Patience. Patience. Patience.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Filip View Post
    Give them some time and patience .Older discus tend to adjust slower than the juvvies just like with humans .
    It’s an old posts ... sry.... but thanks for the advice. I just realized that only my 2 OLDER discus are skittish. So I’ll be patient.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by pramod View Post
    It’s an old posts ... sry.... but thanks for the advice. I just realized that only my 2 OLDER discus are skittish. So I’ll be patient.
    Through out nature all animals have different degrees of brave and timid. Animals living in parks seem braver than the same species of animal living in a remote forest. I think the same with Discus. I think as long as they are healthy to let them be whom they want to be and not whom I want them to be. And over the months from what I have observed they all will change their habits and temperaments.