AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Suggestions on discus fish move from 36G tank to 72G tank.

Registered Member

Default Suggestions on discus fish move from 36G tank to 72G tank.

Hello,

I have a total of 5 discus fish of various sizes from 3.5 to 5.5 inches in size. All of them are healthy & currently in a 36G tank. Recently i have purchased 72G tank & I'm planning to move them to the new tank. I have few questions on doing this,

1) Any suggestions on moving the fish to new tank. so, I can reduce or avoid the stress/shock to them.
    2) My current tank is a bare bottom tank with no decorations added. But I would like to add manzanita driftwood to the new tank, anyone see issues doing this?
    3) I would like to introduce cardinal tetras batch of 20 to my new tank along with discus fish. Is that ok?

Appreciate any other suggestions on this.

Thank you.

Registered Member

Default Re: Suggestions on discus fish move from 36G tank to 72G tank.

I moved my discus from my 33 grow out to my 75 a few months ago and it went well . I moved them in to a quarantine tank with a spong filter I had going in the sump of my 33g and shut down my main tank and moved everything over . Then I let in run with the cycles media from the 33g tank sump for 2 days and moved fish over it all went smooth for me . With add new fish I haven’t done it yet am to scared but just quarantine them for 4to6 weeks befor adding them to see if they are doing and look for disease and parasites.

I have manzanita wood in my 65 gal and everything is fine. I put the piece in the oven at 250 degrees for an hour to kill of any bacteria, parasites, etc. I have birds and use this procedure for cleaning perches for them. Works great!

Real Name
    Filip

As long as the new tank filters are fully cycled there is nothing wrong with your plan.
    I would run the cardinals through a quarantine and test in your 30 gallon tank before I add them to the existing stock IIWY.
    Manzanita Is a safe piece of wood for discus tanks.

Registered Member

Thank you all