ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: Teaser

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Default Re: Teaser

Quote Originally Posted by Altum Nut View Post
    Absolutely stunning is all I have to offer Pat not to mention real great pics especially the Manacapuru Red.

...Ralph
    Quote Originally Posted by DiscusBR View Post
    +1
    Thank you Ralph and Mauro
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Patty

How long will you quarantine Pat? Also, do you treat for worms or anything while in quarantine? I’m just curious- not that I’m switching just yet, but I am going to go to the next NADA show and offer to help break down. Tee hee.
    Patty
    If the discus are happy, I’m happy

Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by Pices View Post
    How long will you quarantine Pat? Also, do you treat for worms or anything while in quarantine? I’m just curious- not that I’m switching just yet, but I am going to go to the next NADA show and offer to help break down. Tee hee.
    Patty
    Hi Patty, I think I will take a move from Al's play book and deworm them. ATM I am focusing on having them eat well and not be shy. I actually at that stage now. However I will wait another week or so since I have only had the fish from the show for two weeks now. So I have two groups; A group of four wilds (three reds and a natural heckel cross) from Jimmy's Discus and the group of six from the show.

After worming and everyone is doing well I will move the five reds and heckel cross on a biotope 230 tank. I need to redo that tank. I will leave the four young heckels in a 75 to grow them out a bit. I hope to add to both groups this wilds season. At this point quarantine is relative. I have QTed for six months before. So my goal is to have a group of wild reds and a group of heckels. I hope in the future to breed both. Reds, no problem...heckels are a different animal however.
    Pat
    Last edited by Second Hand Pat; 09-14-2018 at 08:56 PM.

Real Name
    Bill

Thanks for filling us in on your plans, Pat. The fish are lovely--I can see why you like the red you do, and I enjoyed seeing nice photos of the heckels (esp. #2) as I haven't had the pleasure of seeing these guys in person and sometimes tank shots from holding facilities don't give much of an idea of how nice they can be. Looking forward to following along and learning from your experiences, past, present and future.
    Bill

Real Name
    Patty

Ok, I’m already learning. Maybe if I follow your thread, I won’t feel so intimidated by wilds. It does seem these were meant to be in your capable hands. Thanks for sharing this with all of us lurking around this thread.
    Patty
    If the discus are happy, I’m happy

Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by Tshethar View Post
    Thanks for filling us in on your plans, Pat. The fish are lovely--I can see why you like the red you do, and I enjoyed seeing nice photos of the heckels (esp. #2) as I haven't had the pleasure of seeing these guys in person and sometimes tank shots from holding facilities don't give much of an idea of how nice they can be. Looking forward to following along and learning from your experiences, past, present and future.
    Bill
    Thank you Bill, hopefully these guys will continue to settle with time. Perhaps in six months you may not recognize them.
    Pat

Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by Pices View Post
    Ok, I’m already learning. Maybe if I follow your thread, I won’t feel so intimidated by wilds. It does seem these were meant to be in your capable hands. Thanks for sharing this with all of us lurking around this thread.
    Patty
    Thanks Patty, I could introduce you to a couple of my early wilds threads which might boost your confidence with wilds!!
    Pat

Real Name
    Filip

I sure have missed a lot since my last reading here Pat.
    Your new discus looks magnificent . I wish you all the luck with keeping and breeding them in future.
    Please keep on sharing your "wild" experiences with us because it can inspire the rest of us to try wilds at some point too .

I got couple of QTs .
    why do you keep the two groups separated , because they came from different source or ?

Did you use your well 8.2 pH water for them at some point or they arrived and got in prepared 2/3 RO water with lower pH right from the start ?

Is Natural heckel - cross breed from 2 wildcaught discus refrered as an F1 ? Are yours F1 heckels and reds ?

Real Name
    Pat

Thanks Filip,

The two groups came from two sources, the three wild reds and natural heckel cross came from Jimmy's Discus (a sponsor here) and they are in one 75. The second group (two wild reds and four heckels) came from Peter Low via the 2018 NADA show. Peter is from Singapore. The second group is in a second 75 so two sources, separate QT tanks.

Both groups are currently in my well water and are doing very well. I will transition them to an RO mix once they are in a display tank. When I say natural heckel cross I am trying to indicate that both parents were wild. I will say calling this fish a heckel cross is based solely in it's appearance where the striations do not go all the way to the tail like on a full heckel. I do not consider any of my wilds F1s. If they breed and successful had fry those would be F1s in my book.

Pat

Real Name
    Pat

So I moved one of the reds with the young heckels to the tank with the four reds. The young heckels are super aggressive with each other.

Registered Member

They seem very comfortable! Love the posturing between them

Real Name
    Filip

Pat , Kevin and his last bump up post has just reminded me how far you have neglected this thread due to your grow out challenge babies .
    i don't say that discus growout challenge thread is less fun but I would still like to see what's going on here too .

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

It's been a lil while since you updated...I know you're busy with the grow out challenge updates...just wondering how are the wild's coming along Pat?

Real Name
    Tobi

Hi Pat,

how’s it going with these guys?
    Regards,
    Tobi

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Wild Blues/Browns/Reds
    Wild Heckels
    Wild Greens

Real Name
    Pat

Sorry for the lack of response here guys. Everyone is doing well. Here's a few snaps from yesterday. These guys are super camera shy. As soon as I lift the camera they shy away. Not great pics BTW...

Big red, most likely a male.

D85_0956.jpg

I think this one is a female. Pretty fish but hard to capture well.

D85_0981.jpg

Young Heckel cross which is still growing.

D85_0967-2.jpg

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast