AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Liz's Angels

Real Name
    Steve

Default Liz's Angels

I’ve never kept Angels, but I’d read their requirements were similar to discus.’ When I heard Liz was looking to re-home some, I decided to jump in and give in a try, and “bought” 6 pairs from her. OMG! I don’t think I’ve ever seen an angelfish other than a LFS juvie. The fish she sent me are gorgeous and huge.
    I plan to try to sell most of them, and keep a pair or two. Thanks Liz!!!

I know this is kind of a tease, and I'll post some pics soon, but I had to post.

Steve

Real Name
    Willie

Default Re: Liz's Angels

Ditto for me, Steve. Her half blacks are amazing, Willie
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Real Name
    Patty

What did you get Steve? I wasn’t a huge angel fan until I saw her half blacks and german blues. Then I saw those baby blue plats and I had my 75 gal set. I’m going to add some Cory’s and schooling fish later, but they are the main show. Are you going to breed yours?
    Patty
    If the discus are happy, I’m happy

Real Name
    Steve

I may try to breed a pair, but I need to try to sell off some first so I have room. I got 1 pair of German Blue Blushers, 1 pair of Silver pearlscales, 2 pairs of Gold pearls, and 2 pairs of Blue Marble pearls. I plan to keep a marble pair at least.

A couple quick pics this evening.

IMG_5225.jpg

IMG_5228.jpg

Real Name
    Steve

I realized folks couldn't comment in the Livestock Review section so I moved this thread to my homestead.

Real Name
    Brian

Very nice Steve and Liz!!! I have family near there and would love to make a trip to the Pan Handle and pick up Royal Reds and some of Liz's angels!!!
    Last edited by jeep; 08-17-2018 at 07:16 AM.

Real Name
    Steve

I'm so pleased that you like them so much, Steve. BTW, the ones you think are Blue Silver Pearls are Blue Platinum Pearls. The Blue Silvers I couldn't fit in the box.

Which pair do you like best? I like the Dark Blue Marble Pearl pair although they're not as flashy as the Light Blue Marble Pearl pair. Of course, the German Blue Blusher pair are also excellent and they're parent raisers, to boot.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Steve

Thanks Liz. I actually cut and pasted their names from your email after you sent them. Hard to say which I like best. I do like the marble pair and the platinums, too. They're all nice!

Forgive me, Steve. As you know I have this thing with my back. I go easy on the drugs, but sometimes I'm foggy headed, and sometimes I have zero energy, and sometimes I'm fine. Back when I was sending you pics I was both foggy headed and lacking in energy. The mistake was mine.

The most important thing to me is that the fish arrived alive despite having had a rough trip. I try so hard to bag and pack as meticulously as I am able. It was a great relief to hear that there was zero leakage. I worry so much about big fish like them finning a bag.

Here's the pic that is really of Blue Silver Pearls.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Steve

Liz, your packing was great. No leaks at all. I certainly know what you mean about the hard rays poking through the bag. My issue these days is that my hands are having a harder time wrapping the rubber bands tight enough. Boxing a dozen fish wears them out.

I thought the silvers had the bar. I really like the platinums. I'll definitely keep the black marble pair, but I will make the others available at least to the person who has already expressed interest in buying. Maybe they won't like the plats

Rubber bands have always whupped my arse but it's not due to arthritis. I think I'm just a clumsy rubber bander. I'm in awe when I see how fast others band a bag.

Listen, it you are taken by the Plats keep them. I have a ton more of them but they aren't yet breeding age. They will produce more Plat Pearls. You will get no variety in the offspring. If you're into selling, that is a draw back. The same is true of all the other strains I sent except the Blue Marble Pearls. Depending on the recessive genes they carry you might see a large variety of strains in their offspring.
    Last edited by LizStreithorst; 08-17-2018 at 03:11 PM. Reason: punctuation
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Steve

The buyer wanted a marble pair and they picked a silver from the pics you had too, but I didn't get any of them. I'll say again that your German Blue Blusher pics did not do them justice. I have no problem saving the nicer marble pair for myself. Maybe I'll do the same with the plats.

When you say the marble will throw a variety of strains, what would that look like? Some solid color? Different colors, pearl/non-pearl, mostly marble...?

All Pearlscale. All blue. The rest depends on hidden genes. Everything I sent you came from a Blue Marble Pearl pair that I got form a kid on Aquabid. They were close to breeding age and very high quality and cheap on top of that. The kid's stock came from a highly respected Angelfish breeder who is taking a break from the hobby now.

I bred sib to sib and over the generations I got all the strains you have in your tank as well as some sunsets. I can't tell you exactly what you will get because these recessive genes are hidden. Only way you can tell is by breeding them. You will get mostly offspring that look like their parents, but if they carry recessive genes, which is likely, and those recessive get together you will get other strains. I was surprised by what these Marbles produced. It was fun!
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Steve

That's awesome, Liz. It takes at least a year to get discus to breeding age, so any sib crossing is a committed long term process. I did it once probably 5-6 years ago with a CB pair. I'm hoping to get some F2's from my snakeskin fry (AL has some! I'm jealous.).

How long does it take for angels to reach breeding age, on average?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast