ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: PH change during tank cycle

Gold Member
    Real Name
    Lloyd

Default PH change during tank cycle

Hello, I am about 2 weeks into my first tank cycle
    it is a 65 Gallon with a canister filter - I also have a back up sponge filter in case of power interruptions.

Ammonia has been going to 0 for several days

Today first day of nitrites 0

Nitrates a little high but thinking daily water change will resolve that.

When I started my PH was 7.0 today is first time I checked since the start and it is 7.6

is this normal? and should I take steps to address? I just checked my water change tank and its 7.2 (prime treated)

probably worrying for nothing but I have to have something to worry about to be happy

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Default Re: PH change during tank cycle

Try aging your tap water with aeration to see if your ph changes over a 24 hour period. I assume you are doing a fishless cycle without doing water changes? Do you have substrate in the tank and if yes, is it limestone based?
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Gold Member
    Real Name
    Lloyd

I do use aeration in the water change tank I have been doing water changes 25% starting 2 days ago. it is a fishless cycle. The substrate is from CaribSea - it makes no mention of Limestone but says it resists the lowering of PH which right now is not a problem

Gold Member
    Real Name
    Lloyd

I will do as you suggest check the PH from the tap and again 24 hours after aging with aeration and prime

Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by pm9ljr View Post
    I do use aeration in the water change tank I have been doing water changes 25% starting 2 days ago. it is a fishless cycle. The substrate is from CaribSea - it makes no mention of Limestone but says it resists the lowering of PH which right now is not a problem
    You might also do a little research and see if there is any mention of your substrate selection increasing ph.
    Pat

Real Name
    Mervin

Also,you should add the prime just prior to a WC and not let the prime set in the aging container.The chloramine in the water will keep things clean until you need the water,if that is what your water supplier uses.Chlorine on the other hand will air off when aged and does not need a conditioner.I've heard when using prime that you should wait approximately 24 hours before testing ammonia to get a better reading with API test kits.Prime is also good if you don't want to cycle a fishless tank.Usually a small increase in ph is ok for fish and much better than a quick drop.

Real Name
    Mervin

If your substrate says that it resists ph lowering,then that is what's keeping the ph up.

Gold Member
    Real Name
    Lloyd

thanks for the tip on not adding the prime to the aging container (I was doing that) and Pat I may have lied ( I do that quite regularly) I just did the water change and refilled my aging tank and its 7.6.
    So my 7.0 reading at the start may have been in error … so it seem like 7.6 is where I am at this point

Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by pm9ljr View Post
    thanks for the tip on not adding the prime to the aging container (I was doing that) and Pat I may have lied ( I do that quite regularly) I just did the water change and refilled my aging tank and its 7.6.
    So my 7.0 reading at the start may have been in error … so it seem like 7.6 is where I am at this point
    That makes sense Lloyd . Generally ph drops with fish (or adding ammonia) in a tank over time. Your substrate could be maintaining the ph at it's current level. I am not sure if that is a good thing or not. We generally recommend substrate which is inert (chemically inactive).
    Pat