ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Sand VS BB photos

Real Name
    Filip

Default Sand VS BB photos

Before going on the 10 day vacation I decided to give my tank a good and thorough cleaninig.
    There was a thin Sandy bottom darkened from algae and the plants have totally outgrown the tank blocking the space for discus and the surface movement too .

So I took everything out(except discus of course ) , gave the sand a good clean in a bucket and cut off and trimmed all the plants on my kitchen sink .
    On their way back I decided to put all the sand and plants in the background and leave the whole tank BB just for the sake of the change .

I was very satisfied with how the new set up BB tank turn out to look and find it even more appealing than the previous sand look .

Here are some Before and After photos of the tank so please share your oppinion about witch one look better .
    To BB or not to BB , the question is now

Before :

IMG_20180814_183905-2000x1500.jpg
    IMG_20180814_214532-2000x1500.jpg
    IMG_20180814_235542_HDR-2000x1500.jpg

After :

IMG_20180819_015058-2000x1500.jpg
    IMG_20180819_015119-2000x1500.jpg
    IMG_20180819_015213-2000x1500.jpg
    IMG_20180819_015204-2000x1500.jpg
    IMG_20180819_015240-2000x1500.jpg

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Default Re: Sand VS BB photos

I sort of like the BB look Filip. Beautiful tank and fish
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Patty

The BB looks brighter, but maybe it’s because the plants are cut back? My first instinct was BB, but I admit I’m biased.
    Patty
    If the discus are happy, I’m happy

Filip, I maybe be subconciously prejudiced here because all my tanks are bare but I like the bare best.
    Al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Nice change, Filip.

I like bare tanks best when fish are the focus but prefer substrate if the system is the focus.

Real Name
    Willie

I vote for the BB look. If this was a manzanita wood - leaf litter - tea colored type of tank, then I'd go with sand on the bottom. With a brightly lit, foliage heavy look, I think BB looks better.

Willie
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Real Name
    Steve

I'm surprised by the responses. All my tanks a bare bottom for the easy of cleaning, especially for fry tanks. But if I was building a display tank (someday) I would prefer sand, perhaps whiter than yours.
    Steve

Real Name
    Filip

Thanks for your responses folks. I didn't expect such a support about a BB in a planted display tank but I think I'll leave it like this for a while because of the brighter colours of the tank and my discus too . I can add back the thin layer of white sand whenever I choose to.
    I guess that only us , the discus keepers have learnt to see the beauty in a BB set ups since all the answers on this question I got from random fish keepers on my domestic forum were 100 % opposite .

Real Name
    Patty

That’s funny Filip! I guess I am biased then, or us Discus keepers just have better taste! Ha ha
    Patty
    If the discus are happy, I’m happy

Real Name
    Ricardo

I don't necessarily like the substrate in the first place so i believe if it was a lighter color sand, i would prefer it over BB. As it stands, i vote for BB as well.

Did you take out all of the substrate out at once? If so, just be careful with an ammonia spike.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Filip

Quote Originally Posted by rickztahone View Post
    I don't necessarily like the substrate in the first place so i believe if it was a lighter color sand, i would prefer it over BB. As it stands, i vote for BB as well.

Did you take out all of the substrate out at once? If so, just be careful with an ammonia spike.
    It was a light colour sand but it got darkened by the algae over time . Thats why I siphoned it out at the first place , to give it a good rubbing and cleaning in the bucket and to get rid of algae on it .
    Right now it is not out but it's pressed against the backglass with the wood on the left and right end, you can notice the sand behind the wood if you look closer on the pictures . If I decide to go with sand again I will just pour new sand in the front and leave the current one in the back to serve as pot for my plants .

I love the sand. Just needs some strategic rock placement to add undulation in my opinion.

And your discus look amazing!!

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

Just catching up with this. Your fish look great Filip. Personally...i don't think the small amount of sand would have caused any issues..Personally l like a thin bed of sand myself, as it takes the reflection off the bottom.... and also harbors some beneficial stuff.
    Looking forward to further updates...with pics off coarse
    Last edited by two utes; 09-12-2018 at 04:28 PM.
    We're here for a good time...not a long time

Real Name
    Filip

Quote Originally Posted by two utes View Post
    Just catching up with this. Your fish look great Filip. Personally...i don't think the small amount of sand would have caused any issues..Personally l like a thin bed of sand myself, as it takes the reflection off the bottom.... and also harbors some beneficial stuff.
    Looking forward to further updates...with pics off coarse
    Thanks Joe.
    Thin sand bed was no problem at all . Ive run it that way for this last 8 months with no issues on discus . I just decided to change it out of fun I guess and plus I like the lighter colours of my discus on a BB tank.
    There is strong light reflection from the white stryrofoam under tank and my discus are popping with colours this way.
    I will add the sand and go back to natural look again once I get bored with this look .
    And i'll keep you posted with photos , that's for sure