AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Canister Filter

Registered Member

Default Canister Filter

I am trying to get back to the hobby and planning to set up a114g planted discus tank. I have a question regarding about canister filters for the set up.

Should I get 2 eheim pro4 350 or 1 Fluval fX 6?

Your help is greatly appreciated

Real Name
    Take a wild guess

Default Re: Canister Filter

Hi and first of all welcome to the forum! Give us a bit more detail about what you are planning, if you are set on a planted tank from the start you would do better looking at 5"+ discus, they require less feeding so less waste in the tank and less water changing. Generally speaking both are valid options although I would opt for the 2 Eheims as it would allow you to control and distribute the flow in the tank more evenly, allow you to do maintanance/cleaning on one at a time and should one filter have any issues with one at least you would only be 50% down.

Real Name
    Tobi

Hi and welcome.

I agree with Paul, with canisters if space allows I would always use at least 2 per tank for the same reason he stated.

In my opinion the FX6 is vastly overrated, both by the general public and by Fluval themselves. Even though it looks big and has a decent pump output, the media capacity is very limited as most of the space is taken up by foam on the sides.

The direct eheim equivalent in terms of size would be the 2260. The dimensions are basically the same as the fx6, but the media capacity is a lot higher, and reliability in my experience is far superior. Currently amongst others I have 3 FX6 and 7 Eheims running (2180s and 2260), and I personally prefer the eheims by far. They are also easier to maintain, clean and prime.

So if you are opting for the Eheim 4 350, if budget allows I would go for the ones with integrated heaters as they are reliable and easy to adjust.

Tobi
    Regards,
    Tobi

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Wild Blues/Browns/Reds
    Wild Heckels
    Wild Greens

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Sabucchi View Post
    Hi and first of all welcome to the forum! Give us a bit more detail about what you are planning, if you are set on a planted tank from the start you would do better looking at 5"+ discus, they require less feeding so less waste in the tank and less water changing. Generally speaking both are valid options although I would opt for the 2 Eheims as it would allow you to control and distribute the flow in the tank more evenly, allow you to do maintanance/cleaning on one at a time and should one filter have any issues with one at least you would only be 50% down.

Thanks. I have a feeling like yours to go with 2 filters since the tank is 4 ft long and i trusted Eheim in the past. Therefore i can place each filter on each side of the tank for circulation and CO2 distribution.

Planning to have pool sand as substrate and rock and wood for aquascape along with plants. Most plants are nourish by water column and may be some root plant with fert tab.

Real Name
    Take a wild guess

If you are going to use CO2 (planning also to use a pH controller?) it seems you are definitely leaning towards a more high tech setup. You will then probably also be using fertilizers in the water so the more reason to opt for ready grown discus. Not much point with juvies putting a lot of CO2 and ferts in the water just to chuck it all out during big daily water changes

Registered Member

If you are going to use CO2 (planning also to use a pH controller?) it seems you are definitely leaning towards a more high tech setup. You will then probably also be using fertilizers in the water so the more reason to opt for ready grown discus. Not much point with juvies putting a lot of CO2 and ferts in the water just to chuck it all out during big daily water changes
    Definitely Paul, they must be adult ones. by the way Do you still use activate carbon and if so how often you replace it? Plus, what about UV sterilizer and its watts?

Real Name
    Take a wild guess

Activated carbon is useful to remove organic compounds such as medicines once the treatment period is over or to make the water extra crystal-clear but the drawback is it has to be changed often (on avarage every 6 weeks) and in my opinion generally unnecessary. I generally have my filters set up with mechanical filtration first (coarse sponge then floss) and then just the biological (usual syntherized ceramic/glass rings, Matrix or equivalent). As far as UV units in my opinion they are also seldom required, the low power units (9-11w such as the ones built in some canister filters) are good just to control free floating algae (so not really effective against hair algae, black brush and similar) while for bactericidal effect you need probably something like 36w and up with a flowrate of no more than 400gal/h. For long term it is probably better to establish a good equilibrium in your tank with sensible management/quarantine rather than having to rely on the algicidal or bactericidal effect of UV light to address some sort of imbalance. What you may consider is maybe some external prefilters such as Sunsun 603 and maybe some (not too strong) wavemaker that you can use maybe intermittently to shift the detritus that will get trapped in the plants/hardscape towards the filters

Registered Member

Activated carbon is useful to remove organic compounds such as medicines once the treatment period is over or to make the water extra crystal-clear but the drawback is it has to be changed often (on avarage every 6 weeks) and in my opinion generally unnecessary. I generally have my filters set up with mechanical filtration first (coarse sponge then floss) and then just the biological (usual syntherized ceramic/glass rings, Matrix or equivalent). As far as UV units in my opinion they are also seldom required, the low power units (9-11w such as the ones built in some canister filters) are good just to control free floating algae (so not really effective against hair algae, black brush and similar) while for bactericidal effect you need probably something like 36w and up with a flowrate of no more than 400gal/h. For long term it is probably better to establish a good equilibrium in your tank with sensible management/quarantine rather than having to rely on the algicidal or bactericidal effect of UV light to address some sort of imbalance. What you may consider is maybe some external prefilters such as Sunsun 603 and maybe some (not too strong) wavemaker that you can use maybe intermittently to shift the detritus that will get trapped in the plants/hardscape towards the filters
    The reason for UV is for prevention of diseases for discus. it can be hook up to the return hose of eheim pro 4 350. For carbon, i just want to have more clear water in the tank.

Real Name
    Take a wild guess

Again in my opinion UV and charcoal are more a seldom useful luxury than a necessity (otherwise why do most discus keepers not feel the need to use them), but if you think they would be of benefit I can see no issue with having them.

Gold Member
    Real Name
    James Walker

If you have a large tank and a stand have you considered a sump? Many people have freshwater sumps now. A sump with wavemakers to improve circulation/accumulate poop in a specific location can make maintenance easier.

I don't think UV and Carbon are necessary.