AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: F1 Wild Green X Blue Snakeskin fry and updates!

Default Re: I am thrilled!! Couldn't ask for more from this Pair!

Al, if the wild was crossed with a turq instead of a SS, would any of the fry been SS?

Hey Adam,
    Given what we know about Snakeskin genetics and what we suspect I would not expect Snakeskins from a turq x wild even if the turqs parents were both snakeskins.

Honestly Im skeptical about alot of what we "know" about snakeskins.. like the speculation that a double dose of the snakeskin gene is lethal.

Id like to explore Snakeskin Genetics alot more.

Al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Well its been a long while for an update so I thought I would do one. Its kind of ironic that years ago when I did this cross I only kept the snakeskins to grow out because of lack of space. For years after I kicked myself as I wanted to know what the non-snakeskins F1 s from the wild green and Domestic Snakes would look like. This time around I actually kept a whole mess of them and grew them out. Please understand that these are F1 ones, one parent is wild Green, one is domestic. As such growth, pattern, and shape are all affected in the F1s. Still, given that, I am really really really happy. I have so much variety I don't think I will ever get tired! For me theres a lot of potential in this cross. I have several groups going and probably 2/3 of all the tank space here is this cross right now.

Anyway, no these aren't show fish, They aren't meant to be. Im not much interested in that stuff really. They are future breeding stock...My current projects stock...Hope you enjoy them.
    al

IMGP4644.jpg

IMGP4643.jpg

IMGP4641.jpg

IMGP4615.jpg

IMGP4611.jpg

IMGP4606.jpg

IMGP4605.jpg

IMGP4594.jpg
    Last edited by brewmaster15; 09-04-2019 at 02:43 PM.
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

These are still very young and growing.. The patterns are still filling in on a bunch...

IMGP4593.jpg

IMGP4590.jpg

IMGP4584.jpg

IMGP4583.jpg

IMGP4582.jpg

IMGP4568.jpg

IMGP4567.jpg

IMGP4562.jpg

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Real Name
    Steve

Default Re: F1 Wild Green X Blue Snakeskin fry and updates!

Very nice Al, and your pics present them beautifully! I bet you'll get plenty of interest when you're ready to sell some.

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Really nice mate! So much treasure hidden in the SS genetics!

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

I am sure glad you kept the nine-bar version Al. I can see the wild green influence in all of them. I can see the wild green influence in a few of the SS and it is way more evident in the nine-bar. How are you going approach breeding these?
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Thanks Steve,
    Had a heck of a time shooting them.. the tanks really packed so when I use a flash from above... the fish cast shadows on the one I trying for.

Danny, thanks! There really is alot to like about snakeskin genetics.

Pat, Im going grow them to adult than start sorting the ones with traits I like together... pic the best go with and giveit a shot.I also still have the parent pair so back crossing is also an option. I could use another 10,000 gals with all the ideas I have! lol
    al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Real Name
    Brian

There's a lot of variety there. Very nice!!

Real Name
    Steve

I looked again more slowly to enjoy. There might be some show quality in there, , but I'm with you on that's not the point. The variety really is interesting. You see the majority of all the different turk and SS patterns being sold now represented here. And then the wild type expression is beautiful!

Nice pairing Al!

Steve

Don't take them to a show. No way, no how. I see a few that I would take in a minute if they were for sale. These are fish for serious breeders.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    Well its been a long while for an update so I thought I would do one. Its kind of ironic that years ago when I did this cross I only kept the snakeskins to grow out because of lack of space. For years after I kicked myself as I wanted to know what the non-snakeskins F1 s from the wild green and Domestic Snakes would look like. This time around I actually kept a whole mess of them and grew them out. Please understand that these are F1 ones, one parent is wild Green, one is domestic. As such growth, pattern, and shape are all affected in the F1s. Still, given that, I am really really really happy. I have so much variety I don't think I will ever get tired! For me theres a lot of potential in this cross. I have several groups going and probably 2/3 of all the tank space here is this cross right now.

Anyway, no these aren't show fish, They aren't meant to be. Im not much interested in that stuff really. They are future breeding stock...My current projects stock...Hope you enjoy them.
    al

IMGP4644.jpg

IMGP4643.jpg

IMGP4641.jpg

IMGP4615.jpg

IMGP4611.jpg

IMGP4606.jpg

IMGP4605.jpg

IMGP4594.jpg
    Al, I found photo 2 interesting in that I have a Striped Alenquer cross that looks very much like those two in the photo. It makes me wonder what the Alqnquer was crossed with. He is now paired with a Blue Scorpion, both have only spawned once so far. I like your direction here. I too have interest in wild blends. Good job on both the fish and the photos.

Quote Originally Posted by peewee1 View Post
    Al, I found photo 2 interesting in that I have a Striped Alenquer cross that looks very much like those two in the photo. It makes me wonder what the Alqnquer was crossed with. He is now paired with a Blue Scorpion, both have only spawned once so far. I like your direction here. I too have interest in wild blends. Good job on both the fish and the photos.
    Thank you! I hope that you can post some pics of any fry you get. If theres one thing I wish I had here now for stock is Blue scorpions...my snakes are all fine line, but in the various breedings here I have some coming up with a more scorpion pattern...so we shall see,

al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Quote Originally Posted by RogueDiscus View Post
    I looked again more slowly to enjoy. There might be some show quality in there, , but I'm with you on that's not the point. The variety really is interesting. You see the majority of all the different turk and SS patterns being sold now represented here. And then the wild type expression is beautiful!

Nice pairing Al!

Steve
    Thanks Steve, I'm guessing that you probably realize the female snakeskin in the pair is from that group of fry I got from you a few years back? Shes given me at least 6 spawns with the wild green so far, maybe more.

al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast