AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What size to buy?

Real Name
    Zac

Default What size to buy?

In the planning stages of my first discus tank. I have had planted tanks in the past and a reef tank. But never discus, something I have always wanted.

I have settled on a 125 gallon. Would like larger, but with costs, water change %, and heating I settled on 125.

Plan is for 10 discus, a school of cardinals, and about 10-12 corys. I want to have it planted as I personal think it looks better. But it will be minimun. .5 inch of PFS, some driftwood with plants on it, and maybe a couple swords and vals.

My main question is what size discus to get. I can commit to water changes, but I am looking at the cost/time commitment for different size discus.

10 x 3" Discus for around $300-$400
    I would get a grow out tank. Daily water changes lots of feedings. Wondering how long until the discus reach 4" or so. Obviously more time commitment here. Would it be ok to put the discus in the main 125g at 4" or wait longer?

10 x 4" for around $600-$800
    Could these go into the main 125g right away? Would save on having to do the grow out tank. What kind of water change commitment would I be looking at?

10 x 5" for $1000+++
    Would love to do this option, but spending that much makes me nervous. Plan would be 50% water change, twice a week. Would that work?

So my main question is with the 4". Kind of a comprise between time and cost. Can they go in the 125 right away and what kind of water change schedule should it be?

I am looking at the Stendker Discus if that makes a difference. I have read they are a little more hardy when it comes to water and water changes.

Default Re: What size to buy?

Welcome Zac!

Glad to hear you will try discus at last! Looks like you have done your research well to start. The larger the discus the less likely they will be problematic if they are healthy.

Would you consider holding off on any plants or substrate for about 6 months? If so... You could easily grow your 3 inch option to 4-5" in that 125 gal. I would suggest getting 12-15 if you really want a good 10-12 adults as you may lose a few along the way while you are learning.

Al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Real Name
    Willie

Discus will not grow well, if at all, in a planted tank. With fish that are less than fully grown, stunting will become readily apparent with an enlarged eye proportional to the head. But if that's a given, I suggest you go with fewer, but larger, discus. Six monsters from Hans will set off a 125 very well.

Willie
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Real Name
    Zac

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    Welcome Zac!

Glad to hear you will try discus at last! Looks like you have done your research well to start. The larger the discus the less likely they will be problematic if they are healthy.

Would you consider holding off on any plants or substrate for about 6 months? If so... You could easily grow your 3 inch option to 4-5" in that 125 gal. I would suggest getting 12-15 if you really want a good 10-12 adults as you may lose a few along the way while you are learning.

Al
    So about 6 months with good water changes and feeding to get from 3" to 5"? What kind of water changes would you recommend if it is just discus? I can wait on planting and sand if that is what would be best.

Real Name
    Zac

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    Discus will not grow well, if at all, in a planted tank. With fish that are less than fully grown, stunting will become readily apparent with an enlarged eye proportional to the head. But if that's a given, I suggest you go with fewer, but larger, discus. Six monsters from Hans will set off a 125 very well.

Willie
    I could also go this route, the extra money might be worth skipping on the water changes and feeding of growing out small discus.

Lots to think about. Having 3 kids it might be best to go with the larger from the get go. Growing my own out does sound exciting tho... decisions decisions

Willie makes a very good suggestion if the Adult option is affordable to you.... just realize that water changes are still part of the equation.

What kind of water changes will you be comfortable with doing on a consistent and realistic basis?
    al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Real Name
    Zac

I am willing to do what is needed as far as water changes. But honestly 6 month of daily ones might wear me out. With adult discus was hoping to do 2 maybe 3 a week.

I might just go the adult route. Still lots of work and attention, but hopefully not as much.
    Last edited by gotwins86; 08-21-2018 at 07:19 PM.

Real Name
    Zac

What are thoughts on auto water changes. When I had my reef I did em and 3% daily did wonders for keeping it in check.

Wonder if I set something up with 10-20% done automatically each day. And then a once a week 50-60% with vacuuming. This would be once the discus are adults.

Still won't be as good as two, 50-99% drain and fill water changes a week. Freshwater doesn't have the massive advantage of protein skimmers either.

I'd highly recommend adults in this case. If water changes are going to be "work" instead of stress relief or an enjoyable activity, you're going to get burned out quickly.

Real Name
    Willie

Quote Originally Posted by Adam S View Post
    If water changes are going to be "work" instead of stress relief or an enjoyable activity, you're going to get burned out quickly.
    Well said. Inveterate discus keepers (aka wackos) consider water change as stress relief, not as work.

Willie
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Real Name
    Take a wild guess

If you decide to go for 3-4" fish you may take some of the onus out of water changing by keeping your 125gal bare bottom and only 1/2 or 2/3 full. Also consider making water changes as easy as possible by having some sort of semi-permanent plumbing or hose to discard the tank-water (with a pump if required) and the same from your ageing tank back to your aquarium. While the water empties you Syphon the bottom and wipe the glass, then you just turn a couple of taps and start refilling. It takes me 20 minutes to change 60 gal and very little effort.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Eugene

+1. Or gym time

Real Name
    Zac

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Sabucchi View Post
    If you decide to go for 3-4" fish you may take some of the onus out of water changing by keeping your 125gal bare bottom and only 1/2 or 2/3 full. Also consider making water changes as easy as possible by having some sort of semi-permanent plumbing or hose to discard the tank-water (with a pump if required) and the same from your ageing tank back to your aquarium. While the water empties you Syphon the bottom and wipe the glass, then you just turn a couple of taps and start refilling. It takes me 20 minutes to change 60 gal and very little effort.
    Right now I am leaning towards getting adults from the get go, but I had not thought about this. Using the 125 half full as a grow out tank. Hmm

And I will definitely will be taking advantage of pumps to help with the water changes.

Probably a few month out from starting to get things set up, so lots of time to research and decide.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Cyrus

TBH, you'd find out that doing 50% wc vs 80% take more or less the same effort.
    It doesn't change anything in term of, you would have to wc every day if you decided to go with 3".

Personally, I think that 2"-3" wc is like changing baby/todler's diapers.
    As a parent, you have to do it no matter what (not that I'm thrill of changing my kid's diaper, but it's a peace of mind that I carry out parent's responsibility for their well being/hygiene)
    But for 5"+, it's like teenager's underwear. Yeah it's gross not to change everyday, but they aren't going to die if they slept in their jeans for 3 days in a roll.
    Water change is not just a chore, it's my life now...

Real Name
    Zac

Another question off topic. I have very hard water, it has been a while since I last did measurements but GH KH and TDS were all high. Thinking GH was around 15 if that sounds right. I know TDS are around 600.

I have a RODI Filter. What should I shoot for? Can i get away with mixing RODI water and tap 50/50?

I might get a booster pump or different RODI to reduce waste water. As using 150+ gallons to do a 50 gallon water change isn't ideal.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast