AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What size to buy?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Eugene

Default Re: What size to buy?

Quote Originally Posted by snxtif View Post
    TBH, you'd find out that doing 50% wc vs 80% take more or less the same effort.
    It doesn't change anything in term of, you would have to wc every day if you decided to go with 3".

Personally, I think that 2"-3" wc is like changing baby/todler's diapers.
    As a parent, you have to do it no matter what (not that I'm thrill of changing my kid's diaper, but it's a peace of mind that I carry out parent's responsibility for their well being/hygiene)
    But for 5"+, it's like teenager's underwear. Yeah it's gross not to change everyday, but they aren't going to die if they slept in their jeans for 3 days in a roll.
    Totally agree Cyrus. I have one growing up tank with 16 1'' discus and I do 2 x 90% WC everyday. Another grow up tank with 14 4.5" discus and I do 1 x 90% WC everyday. They are so healthy, happy and begging for food all day long. I never have to worry about they get sick. All my worries are my tanks will out of spaces for them to grow

I also have a teenager daughter and I know exactly what you meant

Real Name
    Willie

Why do you need to reduce your TDS? If you want to invest $$, I'd strongly recommend investing it to do more frequent and larger water changes.

Willie
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Real Name
    Zac

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    Why do you need to reduce your TDS? If you want to invest $$, I'd strongly recommend investing it to do more frequent and larger water changes.

Willie
    I guess from what I have read discus do better in soft water. Do you think I could use straight tap water? I can look up a water report to see what is in it, but know my TDS out of the tap is around 600.

Real Name
    Zac

I suppose I could explain what I am kind of planning for now. After asking a few questions and getting answers.

125 Gallon tank
    8 x 5"+ discus (thinking from either Kenny or Hans)
    Thin layer of sand with a few plants and some driftwood. Cardinals and corys as tank mates.
    55 gallon holding drum.
    Setting up pumps/plumbing to kind of automate water changes.
    Thinking 50-55 Gal WC done daily. With vacuuming of sand done 2-3 times per week.

Now I am looking at my water quality and trying to decide what would be best, as my water is pretty hard out of the tap.

Real Name
    Willie

Unless you're planning on breeding discus, you don't need soft water. In your situation, there wouldn't be successful spawns in a large tank with multiple fish anyway. So I would just keep it simple. Discus will grow fine in hard water, soft water, in between water, as long as they get fresh water.

Good luck, Willie
    Last edited by RogueDiscus; 08-23-2018 at 02:07 PM. Reason: Typo: changed hard to soft water
    At my age, everything is irritating.

I agree with Willie, you dont want to mess around with softening your water especially if the fish you go with are younger and domestics. If anything the minerals in your water may be beneficial to the growth of the younger fish. Give them lots of clean stable water if you want your best growth and keep it as simple as possible.

Al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Real Name
    Zac

Well that is great to hear. One of my bigger hesitations with WC frequency was having to soften my water and having waste water from the RODI. Was thinking a 50 Gal WC would take me 150-200 gallons to do. Feeling much better about it now.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12