AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: How To: DIY co2. Secret Formular. Planted Discus Tank

Default How To: DIY co2. Secret Formular. Planted Discus Tank

Hi guys, I'm sure you all know how to make co2, but i made this video to help newcomers to planted tanks and the idea of discus with planted tanks.

I think that if you are going to be successful keeping discus in planted tanks, then you have to make sure that your plants are in top condition so they can do their job with maximum efficiency.

With such an easy way to make co2 and the massive impact it has on your plants, it should be a must for most planted tanks (that have any decent depth to them).

I found that when i was looking for diy co2 methods, i needed something a bit more instructional so i made this video:

I hope the video answers any questions but if it doesnt then ask away:

Default Re: How To: DIY co2. Secret Formular. Planted Discus Tank

Hey Marc,
    Nice video! Straight and forward easy to follow. How long does that Diy CO2 bottle last you?

One thing you may want to play around with on it is the type of yeast you use. In a bottle like you are using and the amount of sugars you probably have alot of unfermented sugar left after CO2 production stops. Thats due to the alcohol being produced from fermentation reaches toxic levels to the yeast. There are varieties of yeast that tolerate higher alcohol levels better than others..

Midwest brewing supplies can point you towards the most alcohol tolerant yeast...

https://www.midwestsupplies.com/extr...st-wyeast-4347

Also be sure to really shake up the sugar water mix and oxygenate well..yeast needs the oxygen.

Hth,
    Al
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Default Re: How To: DIY co2. Secret Formular. Planted Discus Tank

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    Hey Marc,
    Nice video! Straight and forward easy to follow. How long does that Diy CO2 bottle last you?

One thing you may want to play around with on it is the type of yeast you use. In a bottle like you are using and the amount of sugars you probably have alot of unfermented sugar left after CO2 production stops. Thats due to the alcohol being produced from fermentation reaches toxic levels to the yeast. There are varieties of yeast that tolerate higher alcohol levels better than others..

Midwest brewing supplies can point you towards the most alcohol tolerant yeast...

https://www.midwestsupplies.com/extr...st-wyeast-4347

Also be sure to really shake up the sugar water mix and oxygenate well..yeast needs the oxygen.

Hth,
    Al
    Al,

This mix lasts 2 weeks at 1 bubble per second minimum. It will last 3 weeks with the final week producing less than 1 bubble per second. So i change after 2 weeks to make sure im getting consistent levels.

I looked into different yeasts, but im impatient and just get whatever i can buy at the local shop haha. Plus, it takes 5 mins every 2 weeks so im ok with that to be honest. I brought two bags of sugar and the yeast for £5 (£6.5 dollars). Enough supplies there to get co2 for a year!