AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: False sand bed

Registered Member

Default False sand bed

Has anyone tried making a false sand bed like this?
    Any foreseeable problems?

http://aquanerd.com/2011/01/faux-san...ural-look.html

Real Name
    Take a wild guess

Default Re: False sand bed

Hi and welcome to the forum, tell us also a bit more about yourself and your fish (in the welcome thread http://forum.simplydiscus.com/forumd...Welcome-Centre ).
    Never tried the sand-epoxy mix, could be an option once the fish are done growing. Maybe at some point I'll do a small scale trial. Would not stick it directly to the bottom of a large tank in case it needs removing if the results are not satisfactory.

Real Name
    Matt

I have done this several times using fibreglass. It works but fibreglass resin doesn’t like sticking to glass much, so can lift over time.

Real Name
    Take a wild guess

The clear food safe epoxy I get over here (Duraloid al-30) will stick to most stuff. Next time I go to the DIY store I might get some cement board (so it will stay on the bottom without need to fix it), maybe give it a bit of 3D work over then cover it with one or two coats of epoxy then some sand and then maybe further epoxy

Real Name
    Mauro

I never used this product but several years ago there was a post here where some people reported the problem of bottom glasses cracking. But I don't remember the details. Try to search the forum.

Real Name
    Matt

The problem with removable is that is will gather crap underneath. I tried using perfectly flat slate tiles and found it was a real problem for detritus. You would need to silicone around the edges and that may not look that great.

Real Name
    Take a wild guess

That can happen, main reason why I am not in any hurry to change my BB. Other option could be to break it up in various sections, maybe even using glass pains as backing to the sand/epoxy, this way it would be possible to periodically lift a section and clean if required

Real Name
    Steve

I've actually been preparing to do this kind of thing as an experiment with a product I bought. I was going to complete it, document and maybe hope to wow some folks if it worked. I'll let you know.

Real Name
    Take a wild guess

Cool, keep us posted! Makes me want to do some tinkering myself, got some epoxy and bits of glass left over, may collect some sand from the beach tomorrow. Would be nice to get a realistic sandbed effect but still retain the practicality of a BB tank.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Sabucchi View Post
    Hi and welcome to the forum, tell us also a bit more about yourself and your fish (in the welcome thread http://forum.simplydiscus.com/forumd...Welcome-Centre ).
    Never tried the sand-epoxy mix, could be an option once the fish are done growing. Maybe at some point I'll do a small scale trial. Would not stick it directly to the bottom of a large tank in case it needs removing if the results are not satisfactory.
    oops, guess i was a little too excited. just a lurker with no fish haha.

Would love to see the results for this!

Quote Originally Posted by RogueDiscus View Post
    I've actually been preparing to do this kind of thing as an experiment with a product I bought. I was going to complete it, document and maybe hope to wow some folks if it worked. I'll let you know.
    It could be revolutionary if you make it work haha.

Quote Originally Posted by Mattgoanna View Post
    The problem with removable is that is will gather crap underneath. I tried using perfectly flat slate tiles and found it was a real problem for detritus. You would need to silicone around the edges and that may not look that great.
    Thats something i didnt think about. How much and how fast did it build up underneath?

Real Name
    Take a wild guess

Hi again, no harm done in lurking actually to the contrary no one with an interest in discus should contemplate getting any without first a healthy dose of lurking on this forum! We tend to be a friendly lot and cherish any new addition to this forum, we all have something to contribute (just look at how your post has sparked interest) so if you feel like it you are welcome to tell us a bit more about yourself and if you see round fish in your future. This way from a lurker you will become a new friend.

Gold Member
    Real Name
    James Walker

Anyone ever tried to mess with polymeric sand? It is used for patio pavers. I could see putting a thin bed and then just wetting it and let it do its magic and then you'd have a semi-sealed bottom of sand. I've no idea on how it'd last submerged but it could be an interesting option.

Real Name
    Take a wild guess

Ok, small scale experiment on the way.
    Used the back of 10x10 cm tiles as support as they have some 3d relief. Used white sand on one, golden beach sand on another and a mix of the twoon the third. On each tile one side is left with just the sand stuck on the tile so really natural texture, middle has a thin coating on top while other margin has a good dollop of epoxy on top. Will give it 2-3 days to fully cure then will stick them in a tank to see how they look.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Real Name
    Take a wild guess

Ok, here are the preliminary results. The portions where the sand us stuck on top of the epoxy look more natural (doh!) So from a looks point of view seem best, don't know how much dirt they would collect. May leave a sample for a few weeks in with the goldfish and see.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Real Name
    Matt

Good one. If you could find a way to do ripples in the sand with the dry look then it could be amazing. Interested to see how they go with algae. What epoxy did you use?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast