AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Black rams (Mikrogeophagus ramirezi)

Default Re: Black rams (Mikrogeophagus ramirezi)

B029A046-2E5C-46E6-A306-0A0D21A27B92.jpg
    4C734F2D-23AF-404C-A731-A5E6936A4E43.jpg

My phone isn’t fast enough for me to take her pic. She’s always moving when I’m in front of the tank. In this shot, the tank has room lighting and lighting under the tank also (just how my fishroom is set up). The other one is room lighting only. This is the best I can do right now. I’m gonna have to find my regular camera to take better pictures.
    Sorry Ryan, didn’t mean to hijack your posting.

Gold Member FischAutoTechGarten's Avatar
    Real Name
    Peter

The developer (Marcus who I referenced above) of the Dark Knight Ram (a further refinement of the Black Ram) put up a picture of how the line breeding is going at the end of April:

DarkKnightRam.jpg

Just incredible. I can't wait to start keeping these.
    Peter
    Cuerpo en Green Valley, Arizona, USA y Corazón en Alamos, Sonora, Mexico

learning never stops

Real Name
    Tom

Marco only refined what Shahar Danzinger created ..
    My blacks came from Shahar .

They are not the easiest fish to breed and get desired results …
    These are my own breeding from my"F1 " blacks 9/11/18 ..
    Success is measured in years !
    You got to love rams as they are meant to be kept with disc ??

Gold Member FischAutoTechGarten's Avatar
    Real Name
    Peter

Absolutely true. Marcos always admitted to refining, through careful selective breeding, the Black Ram that Danzinger developed. In my comments above I referenced Mishmar, instead of Shahar. My bad. It's neat years later to see that both breeders have arrived at the same spot... both producing very, very Black Rams... regardless of what they call them. Your fishlook very good! Good shape as well as color!! Thanks for posting the fotos.

I'll be in the Albany New York area in late November, early December (work trip). (I lived many years in the capital region). Are you selling any?
    Peter
    Cuerpo en Green Valley, Arizona, USA y Corazón en Alamos, Sonora, Mexico

learning never stops

Real Name
    Tom

=ODwyerPW;1325634]Absolutely true. Marcos always admitted to refining, through careful selective breeding, the Black Ram that Danzinger developed. In my comments above I referenced Mishmar, instead of Shahar. My bad. It's neat years later to see that both breeders have arrived at the same spot... both producing very, very Black Rams... regardless of what they call them. Your fishlook very good! Good shape as well as color!! Thanks for posting the fotos.

I'll be in the Albany New York area in late November, early December (work trip). (I lived many years in the capital region). Are you selling any?
    Hey Peter ,
    I do sell rams .I list on aquabid on the apisto page and often just respond to email from people referred to me .You can ask the seller a question and get in touch with me .Rams are my specialty and I have been practicing with them for last 7 years ..The blacks have been a challenge..I like to make hybrids of the color variations also ..
    Thanks for the compliments and interest in my fish ..
    The darkest blacks can have a waiting list sometimes as they are still hard to get ..You need the right two fish which just don't always show who they are clearly enough ..

They will be my next project, Tom. I need to get my Dutch blue rams going well first. I don't imagine that these guys parent raise, do they?
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    They will be my next project, Tom. I need to get my Dutch blue rams going well first. I don't imagine that these guys parent raise, do they?
    I actually have a couple pairs now raising fry .
    My best black pair from my breeding 9/11/18 are raising their 4th or fifth batch !
    The thing id even from the fish that yield the darkest is 50/50 at best often less dark then gold..Yea gold !
    I never had golds or breed them but since the blacks and the birth of first 2 golds[also 9/11/18 ] I am loaded with golds also !

I don't care much about the golds, besides I don't need another fish project right now. Before I get the blacks I need to get my Dutch Blue's doing the right thing. They had a good start and ate the eggs after 24 hrs. I'm thinking that when they spawn I need to modify their environment with humic acid. It works with Angels and Discus, so it should work for rams. Besides. I have the blue shrimp I'm waiting get fry from, and I have a planted Discus tank rummaging around in my head.

When I first saw the blacks I thought, "why would anyone want those"? But the more pics I saw the more I liked about them. The obvious thing was the red fins. Later I loved the red fins along with a dot or two if iridescent blue on the bodies. If the goal it to breed black all over I'm not interested.

I'm curious to know what all you aficionados are working toward.
    Mama Bear

Forgive me, I should have congratulated you on the gold spawn. I was just thinking of myself. Please forgive me. I know what it's like to get your heart's desire in breeding. I'm happy for you and would love to see pics of the successful pair with their kids.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Tom

I never really wanted gold but not having them they were welcome.
    Then I asked a friend why I got golds from my darkest of blacks and he explained they were used in the original breeding as a blank slate to help strengthen and carry the black coloring .
    Still today you will probably get more dark blacks if you paired a dark with a gold then with another dark. Like I said by looks it is very hard to know which dark carries the black gene needed? I am told they need to be double dosed like with other solid black fish like angels ?/I know little about genetics !
    I am using the golds with a hybrid of my GBR to try to develop a red ram ..My first generation crossing is just starting to come to age where I may find pairs or take them back to hybrids or golds again already..
    Mostly just want to see what they look like after like 6-8 months as that was when my female hybrids looked very red ..

It's exactly the same with Angels. I'm glad you got some
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Tom

Here is a little video of the blacks and my Dantumns and disc;
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bC8oYQjFu-w

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Real Name
    Willie

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    ...One of the newest morphs of M. ramirezi are the black rams, also known as Dark Knight rams. I first came across this morph on Shahar Danziger's Facebook. He's also the supposed creator of "albino dantum" angelfish (which are nothing more than albino x Peruvian scalare, IMO) and a few other unusual things...
    Not to hijack the thread, but I've spawned Albino Dantums and raised albino Manacapura angelfish to adult size. Both of these look absolutely identical. So much for the urban legends...
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12