ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newbie question

Default Newbie question

I've had the camera, a Nikon D80 for years. Until someone put my owner's manual in the burn pile I was learning slowly. Since then I have forgotten most everything.

I just changed to a different lens that is totally manual. I like the quality of the pics better than my lens that zooms but I'm not used to focusing myself. When I use a lens that doesn't have auto focus should I wear my glasses?
    Mama Bear

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Default Re: Newbie question

Liz, easy enough to try both ways.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

I've tried both ways and I'm still not sure. My pics are all hit or miss. If there is no definitive answer I'll keep working on it.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Pat

Liz, perhaps you setup a situation where you are looking at the same object in good light with the camera on a steady stand of some sort (maybe tripod) and focus on the object. Goal is for the camera and object to not move so you focus on the object, take several pictues with either your naked eye or glasses so you can make a good comparison.
    Pat

I've needed a tripod for a long time. I'll buy one. Are they all pretty much the same or is one better than another?
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Matt

Liz, your camera should have a small diopter wheel up by the viewfinder. Will likely have a + or - beside it. You can use that to adjust to your eye sight and it may help with focusing.
    -Matt

Thanks, Matt. It does have that. I never knew what it was for
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Take a wild guess

Quote Originally Posted by Discus-n00b View Post
    Liz, your camera should have a small diopter wheel up by the viewfinder. Will likely have a + or - beside it. You can use that to adjust to your eye sight and it may help with focusing.
    Just what he said! Do you still have your autofocus lens? If so in good light, maybe outside focus on a distinct object then if you prefer to take pictures without your glasses then with your glasses OFF turn the little wheel thingy by the viewfinder one way or the other untill you get a clear view through it.
    Last edited by Paul Sabucchi; 08-27-2018 at 01:20 PM.

Another stupid question if y'all don't mind...How does my camera clamp to a tripod. I thought that there was supposed to be some clamp on the bottom of the camera body that slips in to the tripod. All my camera has is a hole with a stainless steel insert with female threads.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Take a wild guess

Tripods come with a detachable baseplate that screws in that thread attaching it to the camera. You leave it attached to the camera so this way when you want to use it on the tripod you just slip the plate in the slot on top of the tripod and lock it

Thank you, Paul. Being so ignorant is embarrassing to me. Does this Tripod sound OK to you? I doubt that I will give hard use. I just want to use it to take pictures of fish i the fish room. https://www.amazon.com/PLR-Carrying-...kon+d80+tripod
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Take a wild guess

Got one of those years ago, different branding but exactly the same beast. Better than nothing is probably the kindest thing I can say about it. Flimsy aluminium and plastic build, where the legs connect to the shaft those plasticky hinges easily come apart (they pop back in but a little annoying), hinge on top also flimsy plastic, when you flip from landscape to portrait it goes a little beyond vertical...and so on and so forth... Have not purchased a tripod since so not current with what is better value for money, let's see if anyone has anything better to suggest

Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    Thank you, Paul. Being so ignorant is embarrassing to me. Does this Tripod sound OK to you? I doubt that I will give hard use. I just want to use it to take pictures of fish i the fish room. https://www.amazon.com/PLR-Carrying-...kon+d80+tripod
    Liz, do the focus test first. Simply use a table or whatever and place books on either side of the camera to keep it in one place unless you are truly going to use a tripod. Hate to see you spend money on something you may not use.
    Pat

Pretty Please Pat...Don't make me drag the step ladder in and set the camera on a step every time I want to take a pic of a fish on the top rack. I can scrounge something that would work for the lower rack. But if that $40. one is just a piece of junk, I'll abandon the idea.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Take a wild guess

It still beats carting about a stepladder or the kitchen table and a pile of books every time you want to take a photo. A tripod comes in very handy also doing portrait and particularly if shooting a panorama (even more so early sunrise or sunset -golden hour), it allows you to use a longer exposure so you can close down the diaphragm and get more depth of field (you may want to get yourself a cheap remote to operate the shutter without causing camera shake - photos will look sharper) and/or use fancy filters like ND and ND grad. Using a tripod is also great for time-lapse or video. I'll have a look if I can see anything that appears to be better quality for similar budget

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast