ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Newbie question

Default Re: Newbie question

Thanks, Paul. Can you see if you can find a cheap remote for me, too. It's not like these are expensive as a fish
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Take a wild guess

With the caveat I have never even seen this tripod in real life, I think on paper it is loads better than the other one and just 37$ and ships with Prime
    https://www.amazon.com/Mcoplus-Profe...ds=dslr+tripod
    Ok it does not crank up to a dizzy height but I doubt you need anything that goes up to 70"

Thanks. *smooch*
    Mama Bear

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Guys, I just did not want Liz to buy a tripod for a focus test lol and not use it again.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Take a wild guess

Not much point if it is just for that!

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Thomas

Hey Liz!

Concerning the viewfinder, it all depends on your vision. If you only have a small correction (I think that the cameras can compensate ± 2 dioptries). They do not compensate for astigmatism.
    For example, I use the small wheel next to the viewfinder to correct my short-sidedness because it is not too strong.

In order to set the correct correction with this small wheel, you can do as was suggested by others (try to visually see when the image is clearer when you rotate the wheel). Another alternative (that's what I do) is to have your two eyes open and use one to look through the viewfinder. You should be able to see some illuminated text (when the camera is on). If you don't see anything, press on the shutter release button half-way. Now you can turn the small wheel and stop when the text is in the best focus.
    I advised to keep both eyes open because you should try not to accommodate and we usually do it by looking far away with one eye inside the optical element and the other looking at the real scene.

I hope that my explanation was clear enough...
    Let me know if you need more details (or a better explanation^^).

How high is your top rack?
    ;)

Paul, You are an excellent teacher. The things you have told me in this thread will help me a lot.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Take a wild guess

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    Thanks, Paul. Can you see if you can find a cheap remote for me, too. It's not like these are expensive as a fish
    I just use one of these cheap ones for my Canon, here is one for Nikon's
    https://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Shut...QlL&ref=plSrch

Real Name
    Take a wild guess

The remote is handy, besides for selfies, to reduce camera shake particularly if you are using longer exposures. In all fairness if you are taking a photo of something that won't move in the mean time -like a landscape- you can hose the delay function on your shutter button...you press the button and the vibrations this causes have a few seconds to settle before the photo is taken

Pat, I didn't realize you thought that I wanted it for just that. I want to use it!

Paul, for now I'll only be taking pictures of fish. But once I figure out how to do that well enough, who knows. I know that the D80 is old. But it can do so much more that I know how to do with it. I really want to learn stuff so that I can be better. With my 18-200 lens all I ever did was stick it on automatic and hope for the best.

Once I feel that I've learned enough to deserve it, I'll be in the market for a speed light. At some point I'm afraid I'll have to suffer and learn to use fancy photo editing software.

I'm excited. I can't wait for my new stuff to show up. Paul, I wanted to order the Tripod and the remote at the same time so I bought this one because it had a gazillion positive reviews. Surely there isn't much difference in quality between cheap things like that.
    Mama Bear

Thomas, I'm a short little thing so my top rack isn't that high. I only have a bottom rack and a top rack and the bottom one is as close to the ground I could get without loosing my siphon when I changed water. Then I gave myself about 6 inches of working space and the top rack was built over it. I didn't want a 3rd rack because having 3 racks would have made fish keeping work. I couldn't have had one if I'd wanted one. I had the fish room built (to my specs) connected to the back of my house so it' roof follows the pitch of my roof.

Thanks for telling me about the text thing on the view finder. I had no idea that I could do that. I just set the wheel where it belongs for me.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Take a wild guess

I am no great photographer and my Canon is probably of an age with yours, I also have a Sony travel camera but mostly just use my phone. As the views from our house are not bad I did take a bit of interest in (mostly landscape) photography, but have being doing less lately (number of proper photos has become inversely proportional to the number of fishtanks!!!). There is no doubt that a DSLR camera with a big sensor (I would love a full frame one but can't really justify spending 2-3000 $) and half decent lenses are a quantum leap compared to smartphones or point and shoot cameras. You can do so much more but they also make you think more about what kind of photo you want to obtain and how to go about it. Taking the picture becomes a conscious process rather than just press the button and hope for the best.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12