AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Discus in the Med

Real Name
    Take a wild guess

Default Re: Discus in the Med

Quote Originally Posted by gunnerschh2 View Post
    Paul, where you live is that where Bruno THE GREAT WRESTLER came from.
    I believe he was born in Pizzoferrato, about 50 miles south from here. Never really been to that part of the region, probably because we are quite content with what is on our doorstep. Weather has remained quite mild so far, still enjoying walks on the beach in our shirtsleeves every morning and even the dusting of snow if a fortnight ago up the mountains has melted away. Given us a chance to go up there and enjoy some typical rustic fare (arrosticini) before the snow shuts the valley for winter.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Registered Member

There should be a health warning attached to this thread !!

Between the size and shape of your discus, the place you live and your lifestyle it could send us into a mass jealous rage hahaha

It seems in many ways idyllic !! congrats on the fish and great to see the new barrel ! automation is only a hole in the wall away hahaha

Keep up the updates
    Mick

Real Name
    Take a wild guess

Hi Mick, are your fish at your retailer yet? What news?
    I actually have had a hole in the wall since the get-go. As my discus tank is where my bedside table used to be it means all the pipes go through the eall to tehe kitchen on the other side, where I have tha barrell, canister filter and air pump. This makes the bedside tank feasable as just a slight hiss from the limewood block I use instead of an airstone and a slight hum from the small wavemaker, both noises easily covered by the snoring of the great dane that sleeps under the tank. I hava a few 3 way taps that make it easy to empty the tank (water goes to the veggies), syphon it and refill. It still requires me to manually turn the taps and the pump on and off but I prefer to empty the tank and put the water back in rather than have a continuous drip change. I hope that if and when we return to the UK I'll be able to build one or two monster tanks (approx 9'x2'x2' + sumps so some sort of better automation will be required so I am looking for options

Registered Member

To me Paul that sounds perfect,

We dont have the space you have in Italy so our dogs are smaller but I bet our mini Yorkshire Terrier who weighs about 4.5 lbs (and sleeps in a basket beside our bed) would out snore even your Great Dane hehehe
    I have some of my noisy equipment out of the room and in my shed as well which helps great.

What a great idea with watering your vegie garden. I might try something like that for the summer, in Ireland there is no shortage of water in the winter but we do occasional need a little more in the summer and all the nutrients would be brill !!

Monster tanks rule ! I would love one some day !!!!

Mick

Real Name
    Take a wild guess

Something along the lines of my Florudian friend's self builds...
    https://youtu.be/yPt3XlIXjCk

Real Name
    Take a wild guess

Not much to report, discus are doing ok even as I had to reduce wc to every other day rather than daily most times because of recent family commitments, rehomed the smallest runt so now down to 10 discus that is the number I was aiming for from the start. Daily wc have now resumed, still no obvious mating behaviour. In spring I'll be putting an order through to my fish pimp, mostly to beef up one of my mbuna tanks (the one in the photo is the other mbuna tank, will probably gamble on getting 15-20 Demasoni, always been fearful of keeping the little devils). Still considering for the same order to get a dozen Brochis and 20-30 each of lemon tetras, cardinals and rummy noses to quarantine 2-3 months and then try a hero discus in with them. If it works out ok I'll move them all back with the other discus, if not I'll just keep them in their own tank
    Attached Images Attached Images
    My discus are not fat...just big fish-boned

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Those are mighty fine looking discus Paul. How old are they now?
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Take a wild guess

Thanks Pat, they will be 2 years old next June
    My discus are not fat...just big fish-boned

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12