AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My best friend crossed rainbow bridge

Real Name
    Take a wild guess

Default My best friend crossed rainbow bridge

Bit of a sad day as I had to put to sleep my best friend, our 13 and 1/2 year old Abruzzese sheepdog (also know as a Maremma sheepdog). As you may know we have and have had dozens of dogs, most of them rescues and they are all equal in our hearts but some get to be more equal than others. We have known him from when he was just a blob on an ultrasound scan and funnily enough got him in the UK just to bring him a few months later to the Abruzzi region in Italy where the breed comes from. Even more hilarious is that shortly after having come to Italy from the UK we purchased a Scottish sheepdog (aka rough Collie). Who knows, maybe before returning to Staffordshire we may purchase a Staffie over here to take back! I had waited about 30 years to have another dog like the one I grew up with and boy was it worth the wait. He has been the most loyal devoted friend and will leave at the same time the most wonderful memories and the greatest sense of loss. At least we still have the Collie + all the others. Apologies if over the next few days I may be a bit off kilter.
    Attached Images Attached Images

SimplyDiscus Sponsor and MVP Nov.2015 Disgirl's Avatar

Default Re: My best friend crossed rainbow bridge

Paul please accept my condolences on the loss of your friend. What a beautiful dog! I see he blended in very well in snow. His friend behind him in the snow is beautiful too and I bet he will miss his friend too. Your dog is now chasing all my cats that have crossed that bridge.
    Barb

Delightful Designs Discus Cones by Barb -- Check out my Sponsor section --HERE--!

Real Name
    Take a wild guess

Thanks, we have loads of (again mostly rescue) cats too, knowing him probably your cats will be eating out of his food bowl as he looks over them with a kind eye. He was a gentle giant, one of the reasons that made him so endearing. Again apologies if my grief may seem excessive to some, we have not been blessed with children so our emotions are heavily invested in our 4 legged family

Real Name
    Brian

Sorry to hear this Paul. I lost my buddy last year. They will always be missed!!!

Paul, for people like us who have no children are animals are our children. I have sent best friends to the bridge, too. We know that it's coming but it's still heart breaking when we do the deed. My thoughts are with you.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Take a wild guess

Thank you Liz, it breaks my heart into sharp shards of dust to press the plunger on the syringe but would never let anybody else do it for one of mine. I have bargained with the devil every day for the last year to keep him going but as you know it comes to a point that no matter what medication you throw at heart failure it can no longer compensate for dilative cardiomyopathy and not to do it becomes cruel on them. I have lead in my heart but no regrets.

Real Name
    Steve

Sorry Paul and thanks for sharing. We had to put our last dog down several years ago when she could no longer take care of herself. It's hard to do.

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Really sorry to hear this Paul, many hugs to you and the family (including all the critters here). What a gorgeous puppy he was and he lived to a grand old age.
    Hugs Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Take a wild guess

Thanks Steve, still the unconditional love and happy memories they bestow far outweigh the sadness -that's what I keep telling myself.

Real Name
    Take a wild guess

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    Really sorry to hear this Paul, many hugs to you and the family (including all the critters here). What a gorgeous puppy he was and he lived to a grand old age.
    Hugs Pat
    Thanks for the sympathy, much appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Sabucchi View Post
    Thank you Liz, it breaks my heart into sharp shards of dust to press the plunger on the syringe but would never let anybody else do it for one of mine. I have bargained with the devil every day for the last year to keep him going but as you know it comes to a point that no matter what medication you throw at heart failure it can no longer compensate for dilative cardiomyopathy and not to do it becomes cruel on them. I have lead in my heart but no regrets.
    Paul, since I no longer work at the vet hospital I am no longer allowed to take the euthanasia solution home to do it myself, but I always insist on holding off the vein. Your leaden heart may be breaking but you knew to to the hardest thing when it became the best thing for the dog.

My heart aches for you. You will miss your gentle giant for your whole life, but the pain of having to do the deed lessens over time.

Tears are going down my face because I'm keeping Number One dog going with the help of drugs. Every time I give him his meds I know that the time is coming. He has the same thing that I have.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Take a wild guess

Thanks Liz, amongst other things I was giving him the same beta-blockers Sandra takes. Luckily for us her heart problems over the last 13 years have responded very well to treatment, when we moved over 13 years ago she was practically in a wheelchair mostly for heart failure rather than rheumatoid arthritis. Now every morning she has a 20 minute walk on the beach and a 40 minute paddle in the sea.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Sabucchi View Post
    Thanks Liz, amongst other things I was giving him the same beta-blockers Sandra takes. Luckily for us her heart problems over the last 13 years have responded very well to treatment, when we moved over 13 years ago she was practically in a wheelchair mostly for heart failure rather than rheumatoid arthritis. Now every morning she has a 20 minute walk on the beach and a 40 minute paddle in the sea.
    The right drugs can do wonders but nothing changes the inevitable. I love this poem. I have since I read it first in my twenties.

Spring and Fall
    BY GERARD MANLEY HOPKINS
    to a young child
    Márgarét, áre you gríeving
    Over Goldengrove unleaving?
    Leáves like the things of man, you
    With your fresh thoughts care for, can you?
    Ah! ás the heart grows older
    It will come to such sights colder
    By and by, nor spare a sigh
    Though worlds of wanwood leafmeal lie;
    And yet you wíll weep and know why.
    Now no matter, child, the name:
    Sórrow’s spríngs áre the same.
    Nor mouth had, no nor mind, expressed
    What heart heard of, ghost guessed:
    It ís the blight man was born for,
    It is Margaret you mourn for.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

Not wanting to compare my children or grand children with my Lab, but i do know that it was a very sad day when we lost her.

So sorry for your loss Paul
    We're here for a good time...not a long time

Gold Member
    Real Name
    Lloyd

I am very sorry to hear this... my wife worked for a local Humane society for years. I hate to mention how many found forever homes with us.

Thought are with you

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast