AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: starting bare bottom with juveniles hoping for hi-tech planted by Christmas 2020

Registered Member

Default Re: starting bare bottom with juveniles hoping for hi-tech planted by Christmas 2020

Thanks Dano,

I'm more following the advice and instructions on here and am doing 80-90% a day, although I have my own twist on it to suit my local water conditions.

Here's the latest video of the fish, one week since they arrived. All appear healthy with nice solid well shaped poo ! The fish are well coloured and very active...... so far so good.

If the water conditions remain perfect I'll be picking up my last 6 fish.

Mick

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Default Re: starting bare bottom with juveniles hoping for hi-tech planted by Christmas 2020

They look super healthy mate. Feeding like a pack of ravenous wolves!!

Real Name
    Take a wild guess

Little piranhas! Have you started changing water & measuring parameters?

Registered Member

Yes to both,

Water change on full tilt! And parameters in good order. Ammonia and nitrite 0 with nitrates less than 10ppm.
    I’m watching these daily and if they creep up any more I’m switching from my 75 uk Gallon per day RO to unit to 150 gallon per day which would allow 250% water change per day (24hr) so I’ll be able to manage that ! I’ll leave it a week and do a further assessment! (But test daily)

Mick

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

They look great Mick and sure are hungry beasties. Looking forward to seeing them all in the tank.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Registered Member

Thanks pat,

I’m hoping for non-triangle looking Discus, decent shape and size.
    I’m not hoping for show size and can’t expect as much with my system!
    But let’s hope for the something I can be really happy with over the next year or so

Mick

Registered Member

Would it be expected that the fish would have visibly grown in the space of a week or is it my imagination?

Mick

Real Name
    Take a wild guess

At that age they grow quick

Real Name
    Daniel

Mick don't get your nickers in a twist trying to recognize if they are or if they aren't. They do grow quick as we have seen on the grow out challenge, but 1 weeks growth would be hard to notice unless you're measuring them. Good food, clean water, and they will grow...just like you're doin already! Stick with your WC & feeding routine, enjoy simply watching them, and you'll be right mate

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by MickO'S View Post
    Would it be expected that the fish would have visibly grown in the space of a week or is it my imagination?

Mick
    Just taking a wild guess there Mick on the fish appearing larger. When you added the fish to your tank were their fins nicely spread out? Sometimes when fish are not to a tank their fins are somewhat closed and as they settle and acclimate the fins are fully displayed and the fish are happy. This could make them look larger or perhaps they did grow
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Registered Member

You’re dead right pat !

That’s probably exactly what it is, the fish spreading themselves to their full size and height.

Danno,
    Taking it easy and just enjoying the fish is exactly the thing to do 👍 their colours are really starting to pop at this stage, my dreadful photography skills won’t be able to show it haha

Paul,
    As always you’re my fish keeping guru

Thanks for reading the thread guys

Mick

Real Name
    Daniel

Your doing great so far mate!! Watching with interest

Registered Member

Cheers buddy,

Got my three 8cm + leopard snakeskins )

I’m delighted with them, there are now 12 fish in the aquarium and they are now swimming randomly and confidently around rather than tightly shoaling which gives the aquarium a fuller look 👍

It will be interesting to see over the next year how the small ones progress compared with the bigger ones!
    It will show the consequences of insisting on starting with the 6.5cm ones !

As always......... time will tell

Mick

Real Name
    Take a wild guess

Glad you got them safely home
    My discus are not fat...just big fish-boned

Registered Member

Hey guys

My 3 new leopard snakeskins (8cm) have setteled in well and are eating great like the rest of them, as I sit here watching the fish the bars on the snakeskins is fading a little and their blue and red patterning is showing through stronger. The rest of the fish are still thriving !! 2 week today since the fish arrived and all is quiet and uneventful so far.

Here's a little video of them before their last and 4th feed of the day and they are still hungry little beasties !

Thanks for looking, This thread and forum is a big part of my discus and its a big part of the hobby for me.

Mick

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast