ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: starting bare bottom with juveniles hoping for hi-tech planted by Christmas 2020

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Default Re: starting bare bottom with juveniles hoping for hi-tech planted by Christmas 2020

Alright Mick, sounds like a nice mix you ordered there. Looking forward to seeing them in your care mate! After your wc's you can sit back, blow the froth of a Guinness or 2 and enjoy watching them grow!

Registered Member

Default Re: starting bare bottom with juveniles hoping for hi-tech planted by Christmas 2020

Here's some photos of the discus in the shop, they're just random shots as nothing was marked up or described. Don't know which ones are mine but they all look great, I'll take more photos from the store on Wednesday when I'm back there !

Untitled by Michael O’Sullivan, on Flickr

They look like nice fish to me.............. but I don't know much, We'll see how they look in a years time ............ if they survive

Mick

Real Name
    Take a wild guess

They seem pretty decent to me!

Registered Member

Thanks Paul )

Hopefully next week at some stage I’ll be getting them 👍

Mick

Registered Member

Ok folks,

Now that I have see my fish this stuff is getting real,
    While waiting on the fish i had time to put together a little video of the putting together of the sump. I'm also going to do individual videos on each element and component that I have included in my sump. Some of it may be useful to someone !

Mick

Registered Member

Wahoo !! Getting my fish today 👍

And suggestions about transferring them from the bags to the aquarium?? I’m about 25 minutes from the store so no extreme ammonia issues. My water is 3degrees harder, their ph is 7.4 mine is 7.8 !

What do people think??
    Mick

Real Name
    Take a wild guess

Parameters are reasonably similar, your moderately higher pH and hardness should not be a issue so you can just "drop and plop", i.e. drop the bags still closed in the tank and float a few minutes to equalise temperature, then you can plop the fish straight in. I find the easiest way is with a bucket and a sieve, the one made out of plastic mesh like you can get from pound (or euro) shops, better than ordinary nets because the fish don't get tangled. Put the sieve over the bucket and pour the bag through the sieve, put fish in the tank, empty bucket, repeat!

If you want to be extra safe you could lower your hardness with r/o water to match that of the shop. Usually going from lower to higher salinity is less stressfull (from a physiology pount of view) than the oppsite. This is basically because at a cellular level it is easier to keep water inside the cell as the salinity outside it increases compared to keeping it out if it decreases - so in a nutshell you should be good to go anyway
    Last edited by Paul Sabucchi; 11-22-2018 at 02:44 PM.

Registered Member

As always Paul,

Thanks so much for the advice!
    I’d be lost without you !

It turned out that the shop ph for the discus is kept at 6 as opposed to the rest of the shop which is heigher !

I did an hour and a half drip with an air stone and a heater.

All my fish have been put together in one tank, John in the shop suggested I take 3 fish home and see how it goes for 2 days. Then come back and get the water tested and take more a few more. I’ll do that Sunday!
    The shop are class !! They care about every fish!!

The fish seem very comfortable and active.
    I put a few pellets into the tank and I have seen 1 take a nibble.

Let’s hope it keeps going!!!

Mick

Real Name
    Take a wild guess

Cool, photos?

Registered Member

Right !!!!
    It’s really difficult to take photos of discus in a large aquarium!!!!

I’ll keep trying and post the best of them 😂😂

Mick

Real Name
    Take a wild guess

It's like shooting fish in a barrel -litterally!

Registered Member

😂😂😂 it so is 😂😂😂

Registered Member

ok.......

A very poor attempt at photographing !!

Even on video they are so small in the aquarium !!!

well here goes

All going well there will be the next batch of fish to follow tomorrow morning
    My job for the afternoon is going to the photo section and learn how to take photos !!

Mick
    Last edited by MickO'S; 11-24-2018 at 08:27 AM.

Real Name
    Take a wild guess

Nice looking fish, by what you can see in the small photos, can't blow them up as the originals on flikr are set as private?

Registered Member

Didn't even know that that was an option to have different settings hehehehe

I'm not great at this computer lark !!!

its changed now to public

Thanks for the interest as always !! It makes it easier to post when somebody is looking

Ill try to get better at this photography buzz and keep posting here !!

Mick

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast