AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: a labor day Miracle? or Nightmare

Gold Member
    Real Name
    Lloyd

Default a labor day Miracle? or Nightmare

In preparation for a late Sept discus delivery I had been practicing a 15 gallon WC on my 65 gallon tank. I decided this was not enough and bought a 30 gallon tank for aging water, As practice I was siphoning off 30 gallons when I decided I need a bathroom break ( I had to pee) I had already been thru 3 buckets and all had gone well. Ha ha.. I came back to hose out of the tank flooding my wife's oriental rug. After repairing what I could I looked for a way to shift blame (story of my life - but another story) first thought was Princess our dog. Dmn her eyes could not do it. it was the kids next door. Somehow they had gotten thru our burglar bars and peed on our rug

damn neighbors. I will now go quietly and watch TV and speak no words

Real Name
    Ralph

Default Re: a laor day Miracle? or Nightmare

Ha-Ha Lloyd...it happens to all of us. As for blame somehow the truth always seems to come out. Just some advise from a flood pro...remember the water spilled is never fish or tank water. It's always clean tap water

...Ralph
    "Success comes from knowing that you did your best to become the best that you are capable of becoming."
    -John Wooden

Real Name
    Willie

Default Re: a laor day Miracle? or Nightmare

Get a Python that takes your water far from the oriental rug. I've seen 100' versions.

Willie
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Real Name
    Bill

Default Re: a labor day Miracle? or Nightmare

Too funny, Lloyd. And Ralph, that is awesome. Just today in my household: Spouse: "What's that wet spot on the carpet?" Me: "oh, I spilled some water... thought I got it all with the towel...."

I was using the end part of a python connected to a 50' coil of 1 1/4 o.d. vinyl tubing, with the siphon tube held in the tank by the glass top... Hose was full of water and I was pulling on it from the bathroom and the siphon tube ended up on the bottom of the tank and my hose on the floor... oops! Caught it quickly, though... (Sorry, honey... what's a little puddle between friends, right?) Anything less than an insurance claim is a win in my book!

Lloyd, you're super smart to figure out your systems ahead of time, and I like the Pythons, too. Definitely nix the buckets--you'll get tired of moving those real fast. I'll use one on my 6 gallon shrimp tank, but that's about it!

Some people use clamps to hold their hoses in place, while others build or buy PVC hang-on-the-side fittings with a couple of 90 degree elbows. If you really want to go all out, you can check out these, which I have thought about springing for: http://jehmco.com/html/safety_siphon...ium_drain.html

And pretty soon your wife will begrudgingly adapt to the new "normal"...

Gold Member
    Real Name
    Lloyd

Thanks all.... we have no sink in the area... but yesterday I bought one at Lowes and have a plumber coming Wednesday to install. Already looking forward to saying goodbye to the buckets. just watched a video on the python and that's going to be my next purchase

Quote Originally Posted by pm9ljr View Post
    Thanks all.... we have no sink in the area... but yesterday I bought one at Lowes and have a plumber coming Wednesday to install. Already looking forward to saying goodbye to the buckets. just watched a video on the python and that's going to be my next purchase
    You will be very happy you did!
    al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images