AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: are 'red maps' a real strain?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    nancy

Default are 'red maps' a real strain?

when I purchased my group I went with 4 white and red fish. the breeder said they were 'red maps' but when looking on the list in this section that name does not come up. Would you call them something else? Honestly I dont care what strain they are, I love them so much, but it's still a good info to know! here are 2 of my 4. the bigger they get the more white they have and the red parts are more orange than red.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Default Re: are 'red maps' a real strain?

Go to the sponsor section and check Kenny's Discus list. He offers "red map" regularly. You can see pics of his as well to compare. ��
    Last edited by danotaylor; 09-02-2018 at 10:49 PM.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    nancy

Quote Originally Posted by danotaylor View Post
    Go to the sponsor section and check Kenny's Discus list. He offers "red map" regularly. You can see puvs of his as well to compare. ��
    thanks will check that out!

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Cyrus

It's a trading name IMO.
    CKB, red eagle, red spider, red map are all pigeon blood if I understand correctly.

Strain (strictly speaking) supposed to mean that they would breed true,
    like you breed 2 blue diamonds, they won't spawn anything other than blue diamonds.
    and you wouldn't call them anything but blue diamond, except adding some deformities like HB/bulldog (lol)

If the same batch of fry can be named more than one, depending on their patterns,
    like the thickness of the line or the size of the pattern, then it's just a name.

Just an opinion of discus newbie tho.
    Water change is not just a chore, it's my life now...

Registered Member

Yeah, unfortunately there aren't any naming standards within the discus community. And very few actual strains. I wish the ADA and other international organizations would get together and create a uniform naming system. And get rid of this haphazard scheme that is going on now.

Real Name
    Bill G.

Quote Originally Posted by gators111 View Post
    Yeah, unfortunately there aren't any naming standards within the discus community. And very few actual strains. I wish the ADA and other international organizations would get together and create a uniform naming system. And get rid of this haphazard scheme that is going on now.
    I agree completely. Take the term Albino when used for Discus strains. When I talked w a breeder, he informed me that the term Albino refers to a Discus that does not show stress bars. That is silly IMO, for albinism is a scientific term used to describe a lack of pigmentation w a given individual. Many of the fish for sale listed as Albino such and such have plenty of pigmentation and thus should not be termed as such. Forgive me, but this retired biology teacher finds this usage of albino by the Discus community to be totally wrong. Sell fish w no stress bars as "barless" or even make up a term for description like "NSS" for non-stress showing. So far as I know, there are no blue albinos, red, white,and black, or yellow. When I see albinos, they are white w red eyes. The most striking Albino I've seen was an Albino stag in the north woods. Guess what? He was not blue or yellow or red, but totally white. Please Discus community......consider dropping the term Albino for anything other than a pigmentless fish w red eyes showing the blood through the transparent eye. We study the science of water chemistry, foods, etc with great detail. Why not apply such detail to the descriptions of various Discus fish?

Real Name
    Matt

I think the albino issue is complicated by the existence of many red eyed animal that lack melanin but retain carotenoids. Albino carpet pythons, rainbow lorikeets, peacock cichlids, oscars etc come to mind. Probably need to introduce terms like lutino into the fish world. While the dictionary may dictate that an albino has a total lack of pigment, we can’t ignore that there are red eyed fish that lack melanin and appear to have albinism traits.

Registered Member

I had the same though yesterday after spending two days looking at various breeder and retailer site photos with corresponding name variants. I decided that since I purchased my fish from Kenny based on a referral from a well known wild life photographer and fish raiser that I would go with what Kenny calls them.
    Last edited by nah; 10-21-2018 at 09:27 AM.

Real Name
    Bill G.

I, too, go with anything Kenny says as he is my go to man for Discus. In fact, I have a pending order w him this day. He is awesome.

My general point rests w the fact that we Discus keepers go into precise scientific detail comparing, for example, NH3 to NO2, to NO3, aerobic vs anaerobic bacteria, PH levels, KH and GH, with discussion describing particular facets of specific parasites, food formulas etc, but veer away from such science when it comes to phenotypic comparisons of Discus color varieties. Can I live w this Albino usage? Of course I can because I love the discus world and many of the people in it. How abt the Discus community adopting the term Albino-like??? That way the general Discus community can maintain its tendencies and old goons like me can feel right at home with scientific standards being woven throughout the various discussions of preciseness among us Discus lovers. How about it y'all?
    Attached Images Attached Images