AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sick fish needs help :)

Registered Member

Default Re: Sick fish needs help :)

Ok well I am going to do a 60% wc tonight and add the metroplex I have from Seachem. I’m so, SOO allergic to metronidazole even just touching it makes me break out in a rash and effects my breathing............. wish me luck! Lucky fish.

I thought it was constipated too for a while but another fish is showing these symptoms now, so going with the metro. I will update later. I’m treating the whole tank kuz I think whoever said it about the elephantnose May be on to something. I had him in a different non discus tank for a while and these symptoms appeared in that tank and I lost half my fish to these symptoms so hopefully we get somewhere with this.

Registered Member

*** is this!!!!! It was floating in the tank after second day of metronidazole treatment .
    Attached Images Attached Images

Real Name
    Frank

How do you dose the Metro with WC?

Quote Originally Posted by fljones3 View Post
    How do you dose the Metro with WC?
    Redose daily after the waterchange is the best bet. Use very large water changes. Metro is relatively safe at higher doses so it some is still in the water column after the water change its not a big worry.

hth,
    al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Quote Originally Posted by FisheyH View Post
    *** is this!!!!! It was floating in the tank after second day of metronidazole treatment .

F5338802-2172-4DBC-AA83-5C2A81A8F217.jpg
    That could be feces loaded with capillaria worm eggs... The metro will have no effect on these those. I suggest you continue treatment with metro and the follow up with a dewormer like levamisole.

hth,
    al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Registered Member

Thanks Al! I haven’t ever seen levamisole in the stores here before. Could I use prazipro for this? I know they can be mixed together.

Depending on where you are you maybe able to find levamisole at livestock supply stores. Where are you located?

I have seen a few articles that implied praziquantel (prazi) was effective in treating capillaria. Its never been one I have used for it though so I can't vouch for it.

Al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Registered Member

Funny story... after thinking about it I think that “worm” in the pic was a dehydrated blood worm ���� I have given my fish prazipro and metronidazole over the past week...hoping that it’s helping! The one in the picture actually ravenously went for the feeding frenzy tonight. How much longer should I do this treatment? His belly is still big and also a few days ago another fish had white poop. Maybe another week or two?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12