AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lasagna - My Favorite Comfort Food: Recipe Enclosed

Default Lasagna - My Favorite Comfort Food: Recipe Enclosed

Couple of days ago on Steve's thread regarding who can resist bacon, Liz Streithorst asked me to post my newly minted version of lasagna.

I made and baked it yesterday, and had it for dinner last night.
    I was even more pleased with the flavor of it than I was the first time I made this version.

So here it is for you Liz, and for any others who might care to have a read through it - nothing revolutionary in it except some minor tweaking, by way of the addition of a couple of ingredients which may seem different (translation: odd) to some of you:

PAUL'S LASAGNA:

I've tried numerous lasagna recipes over many years, but recently I've done some moderate tweaking as I go along to finally came up with this version, which I find quite tasty and more pleasing than many others.

This lasagna is basically for 2 persons with enough leftovers for a second meal, and freezes well of course. It's made in an ovenproof corning ware dish of approx. 11 " X 7 " X 4" or so high, deep enough to provide for 4 or 5 layers of lasagna pasta noodles.

Please forgive what may seem like the extra, unnecessary length of this recipe - I've purposely elaborated more than needed to help out those who may have little or no experience making lasagna.

And yes, it does take quite a bit of prepping time & work, with a variety of ingredients, so you might consider it to be 'fussy', but I feel the time and effort involved is worth it, to produce this very flavorful, quality lasagna.

- Main Ingredient:

- You'll need a box of dried lasagna noodles - 15 of these should do to make 5 layers in a dish of this size - you'll know the kind I mean- they're approx. 10 inches long X about 2" wide & are ribbed along the length of each noodle on both sides. This type of dish could be rectangular or with slightly rounded corners. No matter, once parboiled the noodles can easily be cut to shape to fit flat within the corners - 3 noodles to a layer.

The box of noodles may say they're 'oven ready', but they're not really, as they're hard dried, so can't be cut to shape as is without breaking apart. So you need to pre- parboil them for approx. 4 minutes to soften them up some, make them easy to cut & shape to your dish size, once cooled, and will permit the pasta to cook properly when baking without developing any hardened, curly edges which may burn.

Alternatively, if available, you can use fresh lasagna sheets bought in a vacuum pack of 6 or 8 sheets I believe, which are of a size which will fit well in the above-sized dish with some minor scissor trimming.

Prepping:

- After partial 4 minute boiling & cooling of the softened pasta noodles, here's my listing of what's needed to prepare for putting together a 4 or 5 tier of lasagna noodles. These specific ingredients are the ones I like and use for this recipe.

Reminder: Once boiled & cooled, and before use, ensure the noodles are free of any moisture - wipe them with paper towelling to ensure they're fully dry. Moist/wet noodles may tend to soften up the lasagna once cooked, so that the lasagna may lose firmness when cutting. Doesn't affect the taste, but the lasagna may not keep it's shape as it should.

- The all-important tomato meat sauce layer - ingredients:

- Approx. 3/4 to 1 lb. of regular lean ground beef;

- 1 large fresh pork sausage, skin casing removed;

- 1 fresh mild italian sausage, skin casing removed;
    (Alternate possibility: 1 medium or spicy italian sausage if you prefer a bit more heat, or a fresh chorizo sausage, skin casing removed)

- 2 rashers of bacon, separately fried to your liking & broken up into fingernail sized pieces. I prefer mine crispy. Alternatively you could also use 2 - 1/4" slices of lightly fried pancetta - diced after frying;

- 1/2 to 3/4 cup of finely diced onions;

- 1/2 cup finely diced celery;

- 3-6 finely diced cloves of garlic;

- 1 680 ml. can of tomato sauce ( approx. 20 oz.);

- 1 Tbspn. of tomato paste;

- 1 level tspn. of sugar;

- 1/2 tspn. red pepper flakes;

- 1/2 tspn. oregano;

- 1/2 tspn. thyme;

- 1 tspn basil;

- 1/2 cup red wine;

- Veggie option - 2 or 3 sliced & diced mushrooms of your choice, if you like mushrooms;

- 1 large bay leaf;

- Salt & Pepper to taste - careful with the salt - you'll be adding a lot of salty cheeses in the layering.

In a large saucepan on medium heat, add a bit of olive oil & lightly saute the diced onions, celery and garlic until soft - 2-3 minutes. Then add all of the meat ingredients - the ground beef, the pork and italian sausage meat, and the bacon slivers, and cook over medium to hottish heat until all the meat is fully cooked - about 7-10 minutes - mashing the mixture with a potato masher to evenly mix & break up all the ground meats and bacon.

Add the tomato sauce, the tomato paste, and the red wine, and mix well.
    Add all the herbs & spices & sugar, & mix well;
    The resulting sauce should be fairly thick, not runny & loose. Simmer the sauce for 20 - 30 minutes over low heat, then allow to cool.
    If it seems somewhat runny, simmer it longer to thicken it up. A thick sauce, like drying the pasta noodles, helps to ensure the lasagna is not overly moisture-laden, so that it holds it's shape well when cut up to serve.
    It's then ready for the layering.

The cheeses & bechamel sauce layering components:

You will need:

a) -For the bechamel sauce:

-For approx. 1/2 cup of finished bechamel sauce - on medium heat melt a large pat of butter - approx. 1 oz. in a smallish saucepan, add 1 tbspn. of flour, whisk & add 1/4 tspn. of nutmeg, then whisk up with sufficient milk, added a bit at a time, to make & maintain a thin, fairly runny sauce, after adding & whisking in 1/2 cup or so of finely grated parmesan or pecorino cheese;.

Within each layer of the cheese portions, drizzle a bit of this runny bechamel sauce, in well- separated very thin strips, over the 2 - 3 grated cheese mixture, see below.

Ration enough of this sauce so as have a sufficient amount remaining to drizzle over the final topping, as later described below.

b) - for the mozzarella cheese portion of the cheese layering;

To me, this part of the cheese layering, though small in quantity, adds more flavor and creaminess to the lasagna.

I prefer to use fresh soft mozzarella or boconcini, cut into approx. 20 thinly sliced pieces about the size of the front section of your thumb to the first knuckle- 1" X 1/2", is my best way to describe it.
    Alternatively, you may use the brick type of harder mozzarella, sliced/cut up into roughly the same size pieces - it will melt just about as well as the soft version.

I use 4-5 of these pieces interspersed among (on top of) the 2-3 cheese mixture layers, and also place the remaining pieces, interspersed, at the very top of the last layer of the lasagna.

c) - The other cheeses portion:

- Here's where you can get somewhat creative, using 2, 3, or 4 of your favorite cheeses - pretty much any melting cheeses will do - examples are:
    - cheddars, white or colored, or marbled; provolone; monterey jack; gruyere; swiss, emmenthal; havarti; parmesan or romano pecorino - whatever. I've even used a jack cheese with jalapeno for a little extra kick.

I usually prefer marbled cheddar, pecorino, havarti, and gruyere, mixed well together after regular grating (not finely grated).

You'll need 1 & 1/2 cups approx. of the 2 or 3 different grated cheeses mixed together, perhaps more.

Finally, the layering directions:

- Start with a good thickness layer of the meat sauce to fully cover the entire bottom of the baking dish; ( no dish greasing needed).

- Add 3 of the soft pre- parboiled lasagna noodles to cover the meat sauce, trimmed to properly fit within the shape of the dish (makes 3 rows of these noodles, or use 1 of the store-bought, appropriately-sized fresh lasagna sheets.)

- This next layer of course calls for the cheeses - add a fairly generous portion of the 2 or 3 grated cheeses, topped with 4-5 pieces of the thinly sliced mozzarella cheese, evenly interspersed though the layer, and then lightly drizzled in very thin strips with some of the bechamel sauce over that, as mentioned earlier.

- Repeat this duo of layers once more to use up the remaining lasagna noodles, which would constitute 5 tiers of pasta noodles (i.e. using all 15 of the pasta noodles). The last layer is to be a meat layer, so the final topping above the 5th tier of pasta should be just a thin layer of the meat sauce, with a good amount of the 2-3 grated cheeses over that, then finally topped with the remaining pieces of the mozzarella, spaced out fairly evenly, then drizzled over some remaining bechamel sauce. (Drizzle the sauce between the mozzarella pieces , not over them).

Then sprinkle some finely grated parmesan or pecorino over top as a final finishing touch.

Your baking dish may not be quite deep enough to comfortably accommodate 5 tiers of pasta, so you have the option instead, of finishing with just 4 tiers of the pasta (12 noodles,) with the last layer being a cheese layer, in which case your topping above the last tier of pasta should be heavier on the meat sauce, with a lesser amount of the grated cheeses, topped similarly as above with the interspersed pieces of mozzarella, the remaining bechamel sauce drizzled between the mozzarella pieces, followed by the sprinkling of finely grated parmesan or pecorino.

The finished lasagna may be refrigerated and baked the next day. Bake @ 350 for 40-45 minutes until all the cheeses are nicely melted, bubbly, and beginning to brown up a bit.

Cover the lasagna with foil for the first 20 minutes of baking, then uncover for the final 25 or so minutes.

IMG_7548(1).jpg

Enjoy.
    Last edited by Second Hand Pat; 09-27-2018 at 10:21 PM.

Default Re: Lasagna - My Favorite Comfort Food: Recipe Enclosed

Paul, you are a dear heart. Thanks so much.

I'm all set for making Indian butter shrimp tomorrow. Next weekend it will be your lasagna. It will be great fun. I enjoy prep work so the time involved is not a problem. I'm going to print and copy this now.
    Mama Bear

Good to hear that, Liz - Have fun & enjoy it.

If any of you are interested in recipes for main & other dishes rather than the chocolate torte dessert one I posted on Al's thread about loving chocolate, I'll list below a few dishes that I make often, and if you'd like to see any one of them or more, just say so, and I'll be happy to post it/them.

And I promise they'll be far less lengthy & wordy than the lasagna recipe above! - LOL

I know there was a recipe thread going a few months back, which seemed quite popular for a while and which I posted in, so forgive me if you've seen any of these before:

- Pork cutlets with Spanish sauce

- Chili sauce for chili burgers

- Spicy Roasted chicken thighs

- Skillet roasted lemon chicken

- Chicken enchiladas with authentic Mexican red sauce

- Osso Boco (braised veal shanks)

- Braised beef short ribs

- Cannelloni

I have quite a few others too, if anybody wants to see more dish types.

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    Paul, you are a dear heart. Thanks so much.

I'm all set for making Indian butter shrimp tomorrow. Next weekend it will be your lasagna. It will be great fun. I enjoy prep work so the time involved is not a problem. I'm going to print and copy this now.
    hey Liz, I'd like to know your indian butter shrimp recipe.

I'm not the creative chef that you are, Paul. My recipes mostly come from the internet:

5.0 from 2 reviews
    Indian Butter Shrimp

Print
    Prep time
    10 mins
    Cook time
    20 mins
    Total time
    30 mins

Author: Some the Wiser
    Serves: 4 to 6
    Ingredients
    2 pounds large shrimp, peeled and deveined with tails intact
    ½ cup butter
    2 cloves garlic, crushed
    1 teaspoon ground cumin
    1 teaspoon paprika
    1½ teaspoons garam masala
    2 tablespoons tandoori paste, see note
    2 tablespoons tomato paste
    1¼ cups whipping cream
    1 teaspoon honey
    ⅓ cup plain yogurt
    2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
    1 tablespoon sliced almonds
    Cooked rice and lemon wedges to serve
    Instructions
    In a large, deep skillet, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the garlic, cumin, paprika, and 1 teaspoon of garam masala and cook for 1 to 2 minutes until fragrant. Add the tandoori paste and tomato paste, stirring to incorporate, and cook for another 2 minutes. Stir in the cream and honey, then reduce heat and simmer for 8 to 10 minutes, or until sauce begins to thicken.
    Add the shrimp to the skillet and cook for about 10 minutes at a simmer until the shrimp are pink and cooked through. Remove pan from heat and stir in the yogurt, remaining garam masala, and half of the cilantro. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
    Serve over cooked rice and garnish with remaining cilantro, lemon wedges, and slivered almonds.
    Notes
    You can use a good quality store bought Tandoori Paste, but I normally use this recipe: http://www.food.com/recipe/tandoori-paste-485579
    Mama Bear

Sounds real good Liz - I like the combo of ingredients, all of which I've used before at one time or another in various recipes.
    I love shrimp/prawn dishes & I'm definitely going to try this one.

P.S. I really like the recipe for making tandoori paste - quick & easy & I bet it tastes great -
    Substitute chicken pieces for shrimp, and you'd have a good homemade butter chicken, I'm sure

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Paul and Liz, both those recipes sound delicious. I wonder if I should go wrangle up Toni's recipe thread?
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

It would be nice to have all these recipes in one place.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Tobi

Quote Originally Posted by discuspaul View Post
    Good to hear that, Liz - Have fun & enjoy it.

If any of you are interested in recipes for main & other dishes rather than the chocolate torte dessert one I posted on Al's thread about loving chocolate, I'll list below a few dishes that I make often, and if you'd like to see any one of them or more, just say so, and I'll be happy to post it/them.

And I promise they'll be far less lengthy & wordy than the lasagna recipe above! - LOL

I know there was a recipe thread going a few months back, which seemed quite popular for a while and which I posted in, so forgive me if you've seen any of these before:

- Pork cutlets with Spanish sauce

- Chili sauce for chili burgers

- Spicy Roasted chicken thighs

- Skillet roasted lemon chicken

- Chicken enchiladas with authentic Mexican red sauce

- Osso Boco (braised veal shanks)

- Braised beef short ribs

- Cannelloni

I have quite a few others too, if anybody wants to see more dish types.
    The spanish sauce and the braised beef short ribs, please. Love me some ribs.
    Thanks Paul
    Regards,
    Tobi

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Wild Blues/Browns/Reds
    Wild Heckels
    Wild Greens

I'd be interested in the pork cutlets and the enchiladas
    Mama Bear

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    Paul and Liz, both those recipes sound delicious. I wonder if I should go wrangle up Toni's recipe thread?
    Pat
    I wish you would, Pat - I was thinking of that when I posted this thread & mentioned it in my # 3 post above as you likely noted.

Could this whole thread be easily incorporated into that recipe thread ?
    Last edited by discuspaul; 09-10-2018 at 03:32 PM. Reason: Adding sentence

Quote Originally Posted by Swedgin View Post
    The spanish sauce and the braised beef short ribs, please. Love me some ribs.
    Thanks Paul
    You got it Tobi - I'll definitely post it within a day or two.
    I think you'll like the Spanish sauce (my own home-made recipe and easy to make), with either pork or veal cutlets breaded in Panko bread crumbs - a snap to make.

And the short ribs are a great cool fall weather meal which I feel you'd love.

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    I'd be interested in the pork cutlets and the enchiladas
    Same goes for you Liz - the cutlets are simple - take only 3-4 minutes of frying time.

The red sauce for enchiladas is the very best, most authentic red sauce I've ever run across, and imo it's better than any red sauce I've tasted in Mexico - and I've had enchiladas in various regions of Mexico many times.

Once the sauce is made, and it's quite easy to do - just takes a little time - putting the chicken enchiladas together for baking takes but a couple of minutes.
    Last edited by discuspaul; 09-10-2018 at 03:34 PM.

Re: my lasagna recipe - oops, sorry, I forgot 1 small but relatively important matter to help ensure there's not too much moisture in the lasagna so that it keeps it's shape:

Although this is not a critical matter - because no taste is lost - if it's somewhat overly moist though, the lasagna may slide apart somewhat after cutting when it's just out of the oven - while removing individual servings to plates.
    After cooling somewhat though, or next day, it should be just fine.

Once you've fully sautéed all the meats with the onions, garlic and celery, and before adding the wet ingredients (tomato sauce & red wine), place the saucepan contents in a sieve to allow all the fat/liquid content to drain off, then return the meats to the saucepan & proceed with the recipe.

I think some of you likely do this automatically.

Paul, you must try the butter shrimp. It is the bomb. I added more cayenne because I crave the heat. I had it over rice with a side of spinach sauteed with garlic to balance out the richness of the shrimp dish but a nice salad with oil and vinegar would work with it, too.
    Mama Bear

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast