ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lasagna - My Favorite Comfort Food: Recipe Enclosed

Default Re: Lasagna - My Favorite Comfort Food: Recipe Enclosed

Liz & Tobi,

Here's the recipe for Spanish sauce to drizzle over, or spoon on and spread, panko breaded pork or veal cutlets:

Lightly sauté together in a small/med.-sized saucepan for 2-3 minutes:

- 1 tbspn. of minced shallots,
    - 2-3 minced garlic cloves
    - 1 tbspn. minced or grated fresh ginger

add:
    - 2/3 cup ketchup
    - 1 tbspn. worster sauce
    - 1 tbspn. lemon juice
    - I tbspn. soy sauce
    - 1 tspn. hot mustard preferably, but regular mustard will do
    - I tbspn. cognac, brandy, sherry or bourbon - whatever you have handy
    - 8-10 generous drops of hot sauce of your choice (I use Habanero hot sauce)
    - 1 tspn. brown sugar

Simmer on low heat for 5-10 minutes minutes, then strain though a fine sieve to remove the shallot, garlic, and ginger pieces.

Set aside the finely strained sauce until ready to use over the cutlets after frying them in veg. oil for 1-3 minutes each side until golden brown - just re-heat the sauce in the micro-wave for 30 or so seconds, or on stovetop for a couple minutes.

To prepare the cutlets, you should use thin pork rib slices (not loin slices) or veal slices (scallopini cut) - thinned out with a meat tenderizing mallot to no more than 1/4" in thickness - season both sides with s. & p.; flour the cutlets; dredge them through a beaten egg and cream or milk mixture; and fully coat with Panko bread crumbs.

Liz,
    Here's the enchilada recipe:

CHICKEN ENCHILADAS WITH AUTHENTIC RED SAUCE:

Here's how to make the authentic red enchilada sauce:

https://mexicanfoodjournal.com/red-enchilada-sauce/

This visual recipe for the red sauce fully explains how to put together this easy to make sauce:

Note the following 2 important changes to the recipe:

a) - Instead of the number and type of dried chiles used in the recipe, use these:

- 16 dried guajillo chiles, and
    - 6-8 dried ancho chiles

( This will poduce enough excellent medium-heat sauce for 3 or 4 meals of enchiladas for 2-4 persons, and will freeze well in suitably proportioned containers).

b) - You may omit the indicated 'frying' of the sauce when completed. I have not found it adds any flavor to the sauce.

(Special note for those who prefer a good deal more chile heat in their sauce, as I do: - When adding all the ingredients to the blender for pureeing, add 1 whole chopped up chipotle pepper in adobo sauce !)

Directions for completing the chicken enchiladas are as follows:

- Use 5"-6" flour tortillas (not corn tortillas which tend to break apart easily when being rolled up)- the tortillas should be lightly warmed up before use to facilitate rolling up with the filling inside.)

- A store bought roasted chicken cut up into bite-sized pieces will be great for the filling - use either white or dark meat, or a combination of both.

- Add 2 tablespoons of the red sauce to the chicken in a bowl, along with 1/3 to a 1/2 cup of grated cheese of your choice/ liking ( I suggest monterey jack with jalapeno), and a good-sized handful of pre-caramelized onions. Grate enough cheese to use in the filling, and also to add atop the enchiladas just before baking. Mix these ingredients well.

- Roll this mixture fairly tightly into each tortilla (which should then be approx. 1" thick) and place in a suitably sized, butter-greased oven-proof dish so that the enchiladas are evenly spaced about 1/2" from each other.

- Place the dish with rolled- up enchiladas about 6" below the upper burner element and broil for about 3-4 minutes, just enough to start them browning. This will firm up the tortillas, make them less soggy following baking, and produce nice crunchy end sections not covered with red sauce.

Cool and refrigerate the dish of enchiladas as is until ready to bake ( for approx. 30 minutes in a 350 degree oven).

- Immediately prior to placing the dish in the oven, spoon the red sauce evenly over each tortilla, (enough to coat them well for near 3/4 of their length, leaving 1" or so at each end uncovered with the sauce), while overflowing the sauce into the bottom of the dish for about 1/2 ". Then generously sprinkle the remaining grated cheese over top of the sauced area of each tortilla for baking.

- Serve up and add a sprinkling of green onion bits and pieces on top of some sour cream over each tortilla.

I'm on a bit of a roll - I'll get to the braised beef short ribs soon, Tobi.

Quote Originally Posted by discuspaul View Post
    Liz,
    Here's the enchilada recipe:

CHICKEN ENCHILADAS WITH AUTHENTIC RED SAUCE:

Here's how to make the authentic red enchilada sauce:

https://mexicanfoodjournal.com/red-enchilada-sauce/

This visual recipe for the red sauce fully explains how to put together this easy to make sauce:

Note the following 2 important changes to the recipe:

a) - Instead of the number and type of dried chiles used in the recipe, use these:

- 16 dried guajillo chiles, and
    - 6-8 dried ancho chiles

( This will poduce enough excellent medium-heat sauce for 3 or 4 meals of enchiladas for 2-4 persons, and will freeze well in suitably proportioned containers).

b) - You may omit the indicated 'frying' of the sauce when completed. I have not found it adds any flavor to the sauce.

(Special note for those who prefer a good deal more chile heat in their sauce, as I do: - When adding all the ingredients to the blender for pureeing, add 1 whole chopped up chipotle pepper in adobo sauce !)

Directions for completing the chicken enchiladas are as follows:

- Use 5"-6" flour tortillas (not corn tortillas which tend to break apart easily when being rolled up)- the tortillas should be lightly warmed up before use to facilitate rolling up with the filling inside.)

- A store bought roasted chicken cut up into bite-sized pieces will be great for the filling - use either white or dark meat, or a combination of both.

- Add 2 tablespoons of the red sauce to the chicken in a bowl, along with 1/3 to a 1/2 cup of grated cheese of your choice/ liking ( I suggest monterey jack with jalapeno), and a good-sized handful of pre-caramelized onions. Grate enough cheese to use in the filling, and also to add atop the enchiladas just before baking. Mix these ingredients well.

- Roll this mixture fairly tightly into each tortilla (which should then be approx. 1" thick) and place in a suitably sized, butter-greased oven-proof dish so that the enchiladas are evenly spaced about 1/2" from each other.

- Place the dish with rolled- up enchiladas about 6" below the upper burner element and broil for about 3-4 minutes, just enough to start them browning. This will firm up the tortillas, make them less soggy following baking, and produce nice crunchy end sections not covered with red sauce.

Cool and refrigerate the dish of enchiladas as is until ready to bake ( for approx. 30 minutes in a 350 degree oven).

- Immediately prior to placing the dish in the oven, spoon the red sauce evenly over each tortilla, (enough to coat them well for near 3/4 of their length, leaving 1" or so at each end uncovered with the sauce), while overflowing the sauce into the bottom of the dish for about 1/2 ". Then generously sprinkle the remaining grated cheese over top of the sauced area of each tortilla for baking.

- Serve up and add a sprinkling of green onion bits and pieces on top of some sour cream over each tortilla.
    This sounds perfect. I love cooking with dried chiles. I have everything on hand except the chipotles in adobo.. Which will be first, the lasagna or the enchiladas? I have a feeling that it will be the enchiladas. I lived in Mexico for 4 years and the taste buds in my mind give this two thumbs up.

Thanks, Paul.
    Mama Bear

Here's the braised beef short rib recipe for you, Tobi:

OVEN-BRAISED BEEF SHORT RIBS: (low and slow)

This recipe will serve 2 persons nicely - so double the ingredients or more to serve a larger group.

Use 4-5 pieces of thick meaty beef bone-in short rib cuts, not the thin 'hawaian cut' short ribs. (Approx. 1.5 lbs. or so).

To start with, the ribs should be seasoned with s. & p. and browned well on all sides on a BBQ grill, or on stovetop at med./high heat, or oven-roasted @ 450 degrees to brown.

Place the browned ribs in a suitably-sized oven-proof corning ware dish to accommodate the ribs and add the following ingredients:

Add:

- 1 cup of beef broth, either home-made, or canned or packaged - whatever you would normally use for any recipe calling for same - I use meatmarket in-house made frozen natural beef broth, or for ease & simplicity, some jarred beef bouillon coupled with a sachet of packaged Knorr OXO beef broth whisked in a cup of hot water.

- 1/2 to 3/4 cup dry red wine, sherry wine, or dry marsala wine.

- 1 & 1/2 tbspns of tomato paste.

- 1 slice of side bacon, cut into 1/2" pieces.

- 2 whole peeled garlic cloves, cut in half.

- 1/4 of a large onion, cut into quarters from top to bottom so that the bottom core portion will hold the quarter pices together whole - (save the other 3 quarters for later - see directions below).

- 8 -10 whole peppercorns.

- 1 bay leaf

- 3-4 sprigs of fresh thyme, if available, or 1/2 tspn. of dried thyme.

- 1/2 tspn. salt

Bake the dish as is, covered, for 1 hour @ 325 degrees

Remove from oven (leaving the heat on) and add the following ingredients, to then braise for a further 1 hour or so, covered, at the same temp, and a final 1/2 hour, uncovered at 350.

Note: At this point, immediately upon removing from oven, swirl in enough corn starch mixed in cold water, to the braise to produce a gravy type thickness to the sauce, and to which you will then add:

- 2 or 3 small white, nugget, or new potatoes.

- 3 or 4 raw mushrooms (your choice of type) sliced in half.

- 7-8 of 1.5"- 2" long pieces of peeled raw carrot.

- Same number of similar sized celery slices.

- Ditto for slices of raw red, yellow, or green bell pepper slices.

- The other 3 quarters of the onion.

- 2-3 more whole cloves of peeled garlic.

- 1/4 tspn of red pepper flakes.

Braise covered @ 325 for another hour as previously mentioned, raise oven heat to 350, and braise for another 30 minutes, uncovered, turning the short ribs once or twice during this time to better carmelize them.

Add water, if need be.

By this time your kitchen should smell like a dream come true !

Serve up with a salad, or whatever else you wish ! I suggest thick slices of a french bread baguette for soaking up gravy.
    Last edited by discuspaul; 09-10-2018 at 08:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    This sounds perfect. I love cooking with dried chiles. I have everything on hand except the chipotles in adobo.. Which will be first, the lasagna or the enchiladas? I have a feeling that it will be the enchiladas. I lived in Mexico for 4 years and the taste buds in my mind give this two thumbs up.

Thanks, Paul.
    You know what, Liz - I've visited many parts of Mexico - east, west, mid, south - you name it - about 2 dozen times over the past 30 years - at times for 2 months straight at a time - was probably the equivalent of living there for at least 2 years, and I feel exactly the same way as you do - the taste buds in my mind came up to a high level when I first made and tasted enchiladas made with this recipe !

I hope you'll find it perfect with the chipotle in adobo - I certainly do!

I love chipotle's in adobo but they are hard for a person who cooks for one to keep on hand. Even tried freezing and end up having to toss them.
    Mama Bear

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    I love chipotle's in adobo but they are hard for a person who cooks for one to keep on hand. Even tried freezing and end up having to toss them.
    Yeah, freezing them doesn't seem to work very well.

But I've kept a whole can of chipotles in adobo sauce in the fridge in a well sealed/covered container for over a month, and used some at least a half dozen times since, and they're still ok - no problem.

I honestly don't know how much longer they'll keep for continued use.

Real Name
    Tobi

Quote Originally Posted by discuspaul View Post
    Here's the braised beef short rib recipe for you, Tobi:

OVEN-BRAISED BEEF SHORT RIBS: (low and slow)

This recipe will serve 2 persons nicely - so double the ingredients or more to serve a larger group.

Use 4-5 pieces of thick meaty beef bone-in short rib cuts, not the thin 'hawaian cut' short ribs. (Approx. 1.5 lbs. or so).

To start with, the ribs should be seasoned with s. & p. and browned well on all sides on a BBQ grill, or on stovetop at med./high heat, or oven-roasted @ 450 degrees to brown.

Place the browned ribs in a suitably-sized oven-proof corning ware dish to accommodate the ribs and add the following ingredients:

Add:

- 1 cup of beef broth, either home-made, or canned or packaged - whatever you would normally use for any recipe calling for same - I use meatmarket in-house made frozen natural beef broth, or for ease & simplicity, some jarred beef bouillon coupled with a sachet of packaged Knorr OXO beef broth whisked in a cup of hot water.

- 1/2 to 3/4 cup dry red wine, sherry wine, or dry marsala wine.

- 1 & 1/2 tbspns of tomato paste.

- 1 slice of side bacon, cut into 1/2" pieces.

- 2 whole peeled garlic cloves, cut in half.

- 1/4 of a large onion, cut into quarters from top to bottom so that the bottom core portion will hold the quarter pices together whole - (save the other 3 quarters for later - see directions below).

- 8 -10 whole peppercorns.

- 1 bay leaf

- 3-4 sprigs of fresh thyme, if available, or 1/2 tspn. of dried thyme.

- 1/2 tspn. salt

Bake the dish as is, covered, for 1 hour @ 325 degrees

Remove from oven (leaving the heat on) and add the following ingredients, to then braise for a further 1 hour or so, covered, at the same temp, and a final 1/2 hour, uncovered at 350.

Note: At this point, immediately upon removing from oven, swirl in enough corn starch mixed in cold water, to the braise to produce a gravy type thickness to the sauce, and to which you will then add:

- 2 or 3 small white, nugget, or new potatoes.

- 3 or 4 raw mushrooms (your choice of type) sliced in half.

- 7-8 of 1.5"- 2" long pieces of peeled raw carrot.

- Same number of similar sized celery slices.

- Ditto for slices of raw red, yellow, or green bell pepper slices.

- The other 3 quarters of the onion.

- 2-3 more whole cloves of peeled garlic.

- 1/4 tspn of red pepper flakes.

Braise covered @ 325 for another hour as previously mentioned, raise oven heat to 350, and braise for another 30 minutes, uncovered, turning the short ribs once or twice during this time to better carmelize them.

Add water, if need be.

By this time your kitchen should smell like a dream come true !

Serve up with a salad, or whatever else you wish ! I suggest thick slices of a french bread baguette for soaking up gravy.

Hah, Salad! Comedian.

Looks awesome. Will give this a try soon.

Thanks Paul.
    Regards,
    Tobi

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Wild Blues/Browns/Reds
    Wild Heckels
    Wild Greens

Paul,
    Back to the Lasagna, a personal favorite of mine as well. You should if you do not already have one, pick up this..

http://a.co/d/19SkEIA

61cWsRu7YcL._SL1000_.jpg

The pre-made lasagna strips are ok, but in my family we make the dough by hand and the strips as well. My mom taught me as she did in Italy where she grew up. Its cost effective, easy, and just tastes awesome plus you can make different size Noodles with it. Highly recommend one of these. It you love Lasagna this is for you!

al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    Paul,
    Back to the Lasagna, a personal favorite of mine as well. You should if you do not already have one, pick up this..

http://a.co/d/19SkEIA

61cWsRu7YcL._SL1000_.jpg

The pre-made lasagna strips are ok, but in my family we make the dough by hand and the strips as well. My mom taught me as she did in Italy where she grew up. Its cost effective, easy, and just tastes awesome plus you can make different size Noodles with it. Highly recommend one of these. It you love Lasagna this is for you!

al
    Thanks Al.

I do have one of those, which Linda & I often use to make fettuccine, or other similar noodles, and in particular for making pasta strips for putting home-made tortellini together - one of my favorite Italian dishes - I change up the fillings each time and have yet to be disappointed with either the various fillings, or with using white or red sauces, or simply with grated parmesan or pecorino cheese.

When I make Lasagna I take my time putting it together/prepping the ingredients, so I'm usually too lazy to also make my own fresh pasta. And for this recipe, I wanted to make it easier for readers by suggesting the store-bought pasta.

But I certainly agree with you - fresh home-made pasta is best !
    Thanks for bringing this up - I'm sure some cooks would prefer to make their own fresh pasta and do so, or will do so.
    Last edited by discuspaul; 09-11-2018 at 11:45 AM.

Real Name
    Steve

Stopped by the creamery to pick up some more blue and fresh mozzarella today. The big wheels are all different blue varieties they make. The other case has a wide variety of specialty cheeses they import.

IMG_5526.jpg

IMG_5527.jpg

I would be in heaven there Steve!
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

So question for Lasagna lovers...obviously you love it hot from the oven but how many of you love it the same if not more cold right from the refigerator as left overs...MmmmmMmmmm ..

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Real Name
    Steve

Absolutely! Not everyone would agree, but lasagna and pizza are a couple foods that I judge not only by how good they are fresh, but also as cold leftovers the next day (something to do with being able to raid the fridge of leftover pizza the morning after my folks went out the night before).

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast