AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Pleco trap ideas anyone?

Default Pleco trap ideas anyone?

Has anyone ever tried to make a homemade pleco trap?

Right now and my 150 gallon tank that is planted and has a ton of Driftwood in it, I'm having a problem with my pleco population. I have to Bushy nose plecos of which I thought would just do their job and mind their own business. I was wrong. They won't stop having litters!

I've been able to catch a few of the not so smart little ones but now they are onto me. I don't want to chase all over the tank because now I have a pair of discus laying eggs and I have always dreamed for this pair to lay eggs! And for those of you who have never read old posts of mine, I actually do have luck when it comes to raising little ones in my tank. I agree that it's not the best environment for growing baby discus but it just happens in my tank. Actually want to try to net out half dozen of the little ones the next time I see them free swimming at about 2 weeks old so I can put them in their own tank.

Back to the Trap. Any ideas? Even failed ideas would certainly help me steer clear of some of my brain ideas I can pop in my head I've tried leaving a net in there 4 day hoping they would get used to it and not threatened but it doesn't work.
    -Elliot

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

Default Re: Pleco trap ideas anyone?

That doesn't sound like a bad problem to have. Ive never had Plecos but was just wondering if they are less active at night?...you might be able to sneak up on them
    We're here for a good time...not a long time

Real Name
    Steve

Check with Adam S, or maybe he'll chime in.

Real Name
    Frank

Put a slice of Zucchini inside a net? Or trap?

Joe, I've always had pleco but just never had them do the funky monkey dance. They've had 3 spawns in about 6 months.

Steve, I'll hope Adam chimes in!

Frank, I'm willing to try that!
    -Elliot

If they're still babies (less than a month or so), it's pretty easy to just siphon them out. Usually swim right into it.

Older fish, try a 2 liter soda bottle trap. Looks like a minnow or crawfish trap.

Maybe I should patent this?

2018-09-11 14.58.59.jpg

2018-09-11 15.04.06.jpg

2018-09-11 15.04.52.jpg

2018-09-11 15.01.50.jpg

2018-09-11 15.00.50.jpg

Ran out of zucchini in the garden but had some summer squash... tied in net with a piece of zip ties .. I cut the sides on the squash to make feeding areas with no skin... bent the handle a little and letnthe squash float up in the net making the trap. Its been in the tank an hour or so and 4-5 plecos have already found it and are feeding.
    Last edited by brewmaster15; 09-11-2018 at 03:26 PM.
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

These two pics sum up the effectiveness I think.

2018-09-11 15.15.01.jpg

2018-09-11 15.15.53.jpg

al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Holy Crap Al... as long as I have a house left after this hurricane then that is exactly what I'm going to do!

And Adam, I appreciate the hell out of you responding brother! I'm going to try Al's idea because they are older than a month. I just have so much crap in the tank that it's hard to chase them
    -Elliot

Good luck!
    al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I like Al's idea. Reminds me of the crawfish trapping I used to do as a kid.

Best of luck. Unwanted bristlenose spawns in big tanks are a MAJOR pain.

Real Name
    Dave

Great Idea Al.

I could sacrifice a net or two to pleco traps as I may want to take some of the Lemon Drop Bristlenose down to the local fish store for trade stock... trade him fish for store credit which I use for foam, power heads, and other dry goods for the aquarium.
    God is the artist, he merely allows me to see and capture his work . http://davesphotography7055.zenfolio.com/ coupon code: angelfish
    some of my work accepted by Pentax (the camera bodies I use): http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/davidgray

Quote Originally Posted by pastry View Post
    Has anyone ever tried to make a homemade pleco trap?

Right now and my 150 gallon tank that is planted and has a ton of Driftwood in it, I'm having a problem with my pleco population. I have to Bushy nose plecos of which I thought would just do their job and mind their own business. I was wrong. They won't stop having litters!

I've been able to catch a few of the not so smart little ones but now they are onto me. I don't want to chase all over the tank because now I have a pair of discus laying eggs and I have always dreamed for this pair to lay eggs! And for those of you who have never read old posts of mine, I actually do have luck when it comes to raising little ones in my tank. I agree that it's not the best environment for growing baby discus but it just happens in my tank. Actually want to try to net out half dozen of the little ones the next time I see them free swimming at about 2 weeks old so I can put them in their own tank.

Back to the Trap. Any ideas? Even failed ideas would certainly help me steer clear of some of my brain ideas I can pop in my head I've tried leaving a net in there 4 day hoping they would get used to it and not threatened but it doesn't work.
    I used to have a few colonies of ABN in my 180 gallon where I was breeding them. I use lots of caves and they are great for getting them. Put food in the cave and just net the entire cave into my 5 gallon tank. Shoot me an email if you are interested in those caves. I am out of the hobby.

Van
    vlam168@gmail.com

Van, the problem is that the only case I have are do you need the rates of big piece of driftwood! However I like your idea
    -Elliot