ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Build out of first discus tank....

Registered Member

Default Build out of first discus tank....

My goal with this tank build is to enjoy the beauty of the discus with the family and continue to learn about the discus hobby.

With that said, over the weekend, I started prepping an existing 70 gallon tank.
    * Removed old black pebble substrate - did leave some in tank to assist with cycling
    * Removed a several pieces of Texas rock
    * Add new sand substrate
    * Added river rocks
    * Painted rear of tank (outside of course) black

Next I am waiting for
    * Mopani wood
    * Tank to finish cycling
    * New LED light bar
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by TankedInPHX; 09-11-2018 at 08:59 AM. Reason: Verbiage - photo

Real Name
    Take a wild guess

Default Re: Build out of first discus tank....

Hi and a warm welcome to Simply Discus.
    Can I invite you to tell us a bit more about yourself on the welcome thread (we are a nosey lot!)
    http://forum.simplydiscus.com/forumd...Welcome-Centre
    On this forum besides nosey we tend to be quite easygoing, so as much as we like to give you the benefit of whatever much or little experience we have, the fish tank will be sitting in your living room so it is for you to decide how to set it up.

I think it is positive to discuss the setup at this stage so to evaluate pros and cons. It is a good size tank but how it is at the moment it is probably better suited to house Malawi cichlids.
    With discus ( particularly if you are purchasing young fish that still have a fair bit of growing to do) "less is more". The round stones look very nice but unnecessary to the fish, all they will do is trap dirt. Same about that deep sand/fine gravel bed. The black backdrop is very dramatic, just avoid discus strains prone to "peppering" like all Pigeon Blood and derived. The black will encourage them to darken specialized cells in their skin called melanophores, almost like some kind of mimetism.
    Again it is your choice, just be aware of some possible downsides.
    Last edited by Paul Sabucchi; 09-18-2018 at 08:45 AM.

Registered Member

Just over a week and the tank params are still a little off. Ammonia is hovering between .25-.5, Nitrites - 0 and Nitrates 60. Will do another water change in a day or two.

The mopani wood arrived and after soaking and changing the water daily, i added it to the tank last evening.

I have also added heaters horizontally at the bottom of the tank.

Might start looking into adding some plants.

Mopani1.jpg

Real Name
    Take a wild guess

Ammonia during a fishless cycle would best be kept between 2 and 4 ppm (or mg/l). That will ensure that your system will be ready to cope with the relatively heavy stocking that usually goes with a discus tank. No need to change any water at least until nitrates start getting really high.
    Last edited by Paul Sabucchi; 09-18-2018 at 08:48 AM.

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Hi TankedInPHX and welcome to Simply. I read you are not new to freshwater tanks but are you new to plants? What size and number of discus are you considering. I know you have done some research but I have some concerns with your setup and the fact you are looking into plants. Keeping discus and plants together can be a delicate balancing act and best to do each separate well prior to mixing the two. Can you please share more details.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Registered Member

Hi Pat - thanks for reviewing my tank build.

As far as maintaining plants, I have maintained live plants with fish. The plants did grow bountiful, but in the end the fish just enjoyed them too much and ate everything...

For this tank setup, I was looking mainly for background and mid-foreground within the opening of the rocks. After getting established for a few weeks, then move onto the fish phase.

Plants I was considering:
    Mid-foreground: Mix of Cryptocoryne parva & Ancharis
    Background: vallisneria sprialis

Registered Member

Thanks Paul the insight on the parameters... I will stay the course and keep monitoring the parameters.

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by TankedInPHX View Post
    Hi Pat - thanks for reviewing my tank build.

As far as maintaining plants, I have maintained live plants with fish. The plants did grow bountiful, but in the end the fish just enjoyed them too much and ate everything...

For this tank setup, I was looking mainly for background and mid-foreground within the opening of the rocks. After getting established for a few weeks, then move onto the fish phase.

Plants I was considering:
    Mid-foreground: Mix of Cryptocoryne parva & Ancharis
    Background: vallisneria sprialis
    I would suggest getting your feet wet with just discus for about six months before introducing plants TankedInPHX. You will quickly determine that discus are different then other freshwater fish. I'm not trying to scare you...only slow you down a bit.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Bill

I like the aesthetic of your tank a lot--it's a nice look and I hope that you can achieve whatever goals you set for it in the end. Just want to say that I am also a veteran fishkeeper with 30 years in the hobby but now on my second batch of young discus after losing every one of my first, despite researching like crazy and trying to do everything right over a three-month period. Had to take a break, do other fish, and come back two years later. On my second attempt, I'm doing better but there's no doubt that discus can get stressed more easily than a lot of other fish, and they definitely like lots of clean water together with heavy feedings, especially during the "grow out" phase, which goes on for months unless you start with really large adults. (That might be a good option if you stick with decor and plants, but they're not cheap.)

Anyway, there's a ton of good resources on here that try to explain the rationale for what most people are doing--stuff I needed convincing about like daily water changes with aged water--but in the end I'm glad I'm working with these fish again. If you haven't seen it already, the video of Al's presentation at the ACA on discus keeping is a great intro. (It's over here: http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...TCH-THIS-VIDEO!)

Some folks have pretty good success with low light plants that don't need to be rooted, like anubias species, and can handle high temps. Hope you have fun researching on here and look forward to seeing how it turns out.

Registered Member

Still cycling...
    Test_results_9232018.jpg

Registered Member

What are parameters you are testing for ??

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by MickO'S View Post
    What are parameters you are testing for ??
    From bottom Up:
    PH - 7.6
    Ammonia - 0
    Nitrite - .5
    Nitrate - .40

Registered Member

The tank has fishless cycled. Will perform a water change to bring the nitrates down as they appear to be a little high. But overall the levels appear to good.

IMG_0179 (1).jpg

Left to right -
    PH - 7.5
    Ammonia - 0
    Nitrites - 0
    Nitrates - 40-50

Next Ill be reading on type of foods and get that order placed, nothing homemade. Then finally order the discus fish, once I can schedule a WFH.

Real Name
    Jody M.

Very cool looking tank - where did you buy your 70 gallon from?
    No you don't throw them...

Jody-

Real Name
    Take a wild guess

When are you planning on getting the fish?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast