AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Coming Hurricane!

Real Name
    Frank

Default Coming Hurricane!

Just thought I would start by asking how does one prepare for possible multiple days without power for your tank(s)? What if the water goes bad? I know that the discus can go days without eating. Also, one can double up water changes as far as nitrates/ammonia. Any other suggestions? I really would hate to lose one, let alone all my discus!

Frank

Real Name
    Take a wild guess

Default Re: Coming Hurricane!

Hi, over here we do not get hurricanes but we do get heavy wet snowfalls that get the power lines down. In my opinion you can't beat a generator and a good supply of fuel.

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

I would also suggest prepping the fish like when you go on vacation, no feeding for three days (seems to take that amount of time to clear the gut) then huge water change.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Frank

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    I would also suggest prepping the fish like when you go on vacation, no feeding for three days (seems to take that amount of time to clear the gut) then huge water change.
    Pat
    Just moved in a new home within the last year. So, a couple of weeks ago ordered a whole house generator to be installed. Unfortunately it's not hooked up yet.
    They also exchanged my old portable generator for cash ... so if the power goes, we are without.

How long can the canister filter bed go without power?

Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by fljones3 View Post
    Just moved in a new home within the last year. So, a couple of weeks ago ordered a whole house generator to be installed. Unfortunately it's not hooked up yet.
    They also exchanged my old portable generator for cash ... so if the power goes, we are without.

I do not really know Frank but if the power goes out open up the canister and move the contents to an bucket with water open to air. The bacteria in the canister will die without air and you do not want that in your tank should the power come back on.
    Pat

Real Name
    Brian

I lose power quite often but I am still never prepared. The last time I lost power with tanks up and running, it was the middle of winter during an ice storm. I bought a couple of inverters and let them run the filters periodically until they ran out of power, then used my car to recharge them. This wasn't helpful for heaters because they draw way to many amps, but it helped keep my media active. As far as the heating issue, I insulated my tanks with any blanket or sleeping bag I could find and used hot water from time to time. I used HOB's and sponges ad when I was away for awhile I removed the bio wheels and just dropped them in the tank to keep the wet and oxygenated.

It was time consuming and hard work, but my power was out for about 10 days and although they didn't like it one bit, I didn't lose any fish.

Frank,
    Deepcycle batteries or in a pinch car Batteries as Brian used with inverters are a good option .. where you are heating the tanks won't be as critical as oxygen this time of year. You may still be able to find inverters at walmarts,homedepot etc.

If it were me.. I'd hit craigs list.. Theres plenty of used Generators at a fair prices still availible..
    Something like this..

https://richmond.craigslist.org/grd/...694985872.html

is quiet and at 800 watts will run some heaters and air..

This one is a Gem if it runs as good as it looks... Old school and loud but probably last decades to come over anything New sold today and at 4400 watts that will handle your fish tank and frig and more... Its a not a bad idea to have a backup generator even with a whole house unit.

I'm a bit over kill. I have back ups for my backs.

al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Quote Originally Posted by fljones3 View Post

Not long. I few hours will make short work of most cannisters biological media. You would be best to break the cannister down and remove the media and rinse lightly. wrap it in wet paper towels , and leave exposed to some air, I've used a plastic shopping bag.That will largely preserve the bio filter a few days.

al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Registered Member

The best thing are the $10-15 back up battery pumps with some air stones and some extra D batteries. The batteries should last around 2 days running 24/7. Heaters aren't going to be needed, it'll be plenty hot, TRUST ME! Try to do a final water change as close to the event as possible. Looking like Thursday evening right now. Don't feed them and keep an eye on the water temp. You may need to float a small ice bag at some point if it starts getting too hot and open the lids. And if you have a canister filter, open it up after the power goes out to try to salvage any BB in it. Also, if you have a water barrel you use for water changes, rinse it out after the water change and refill it, you may need the water for yourself if a water main is severed.

Barb is in North Carolina close to the coast. She has a generator and has battened down. She's still afraid. This is going to be a bad one and she will get hit hard.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Frank

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    Barb is in North Carolina close to the coast. She has a generator and has battened down. She's still afraid. This is going to be a bad one and she will get hit hard.
    My mother is in Charlotte. Been praying for those in its path.

Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    Oh man Liz, I have been thinking of Barb today. Hope all goes well for her and everyone in the path of this hurricane.
    Pat

Unhappy Re: Coming Hurricane!

Just plan for the worst.Usually we get storms here and lose power a day or two.. Some of the recent storms knocked out power weeks in some areas. Many here in the North east lost alot of fish in recent storms.

The mistake many.people make in prepping is they take for granted that services will be restored as quickly as they usually are. Natural disasters aren't a usual situation. You really need to plan for the worst case scenarios and hope for the best in these things.
    Al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Real Name
    Frank

Thanks for all the helpful comments. Better get busy.