AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: There has to be some campers/hikers here?

Default There has to be some campers/hikers here?

Do you like camping? What kind? tent? rv? ultra light? Ive been into camping my whole life. Mostly car based but some hiking short trips.Tents and recently into RV with our old" new to us popup"(2005 mfg) I have a bit of an obsession with camping gear and I collect it, repair and re-use it.. Stoves, lanterns, pack gear etc. I can't pass up coleman gear. I probably could journey to the center of the earth and back with all my collected camp treasures.

Anyone else?

Al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Default Re: There has to be some campers/hikers here?

There are some really nice spots in northern AZ. It's usually pretty crowded, but 10-15 minutes of exploring is enough to find some quiet and enjoy some wild raspberries. The fishing is great, too.

If nothing else, it's a good excuse to whip out the Jiffypop and the Elwood Blues-style toaster.

JiffyPop
    Jiffy pop is one of our favorites here. It cracks me up when I buy some for a trip that the cashier doesnt know what it is? They look at me puzzled when I tell them.its the best pop corn for a camping trip.One asked me if it takes long to microwave it! lol
    al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Real Name
    Brian

I love hiking and camping. When I used to have a more adventurous group of friends, we would go camping and canoeing in the Ozarks nearly every other weekend during the summertime.

Over the years, I have been hiking an camping all over the country, some family style and some technical. Every state has their own special places, but I must say Utah, Wyoming and Montana are amazing!

Real Name
    Matt

I LOVE camping, but haven't been in ages. Dying to get back to it. I need to re-gear, this will be a good thread as I am not caught up on the latest and greatest. I am pretty much down for anything from no car backpacking to staying next to the car. My ultimate dream would be to create an "adventuremobile" out of a van/truck/land rover defender type of vehicle. But for now a small tent and supplies will have to suffice.

What's everyone's favorite season or time of year to go? Depends on the place?
    -Matt

I really like camping in the fall in the North East USA. The days are warm, the nights are cool and comfortable for tents and campers with out Ac. The fall foliage is a plus. The downside is the yellow jackets. Those critters get crazy this time of year... they are aggressive too as they forage.

Spring is also nice... again days are warm enough and nights cool. The bugs that drive me nuts then are black flies.. they get in your eyes, ears, anything and really dont care about bug spray... still I enjoy that time of year.

Camping In Florida winters best. Bugs are less and its not oppressively hot. I love the Florida Park system and theres few places Id rather be than the Everglades (National Park) in late January/Early Ferbruary!

Whats your camping stoves of choice?

al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

As a kid we would go camping as a family in the summer time. We would travel up thru Ga and the Carolina's as Florida summer time was hot. My parents had a popup like yours Al. After Tom and I were married and we moved to Colorado we tent camped out of the truck. We would drive up to the mountains with my sister and bother-in-law and find a creek to camp on with a beaver dam so Tim and I could fish for brookies (brook trout). Nothing like fresh brook trout cooked in a iron skillet and eaten beside a camp fire...those were the days.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Registered Member

I had a great 8 days this early august on the west side of Vancouver Island ,with my wife. sea kayaking . great weather , low traffic ( 4 campsites.
    shared a beach once ) and great wildlife , bears ,humpback whales ,minks and marten, deers ,lots of sea otters and wolves tracks .
    I have paddled quite a bit in the last 35 years, on the north side of the golf oF St-Laurence , Vancouver island , the mid coast of British Columbia
    And Haida Gwai , the Queen Charlotte islands.

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    As a kid we would go camping as a family in the summer time. We would travel up thru Ga and the Carolina's as Florida summer time was hot. My parents had a popup like yours Al. After Tom and I were married and we moved to Colorado we tent camped out of the truck. We would drive up to the mountains with my sister and bother-in-law and find a creek to camp on with a beaver dam so Tim and I could fish for brookies (brook trout). Nothing like fresh brook trout cooked in a iron skillet and eaten beside a camp fire...those were the days.
    Pat
    AGREE WITH YOU PAT! Native brookies over a camp fire are delicious!

al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Quote Originally Posted by allwet View Post
    I had a great 8 days this early august on the west side of Vancouver Island ,with my wife. sea kayaking . great weather , low traffic ( 4 campsites.
    shared a beach once ) and great wildlife , bears ,humpback whales ,minks and marten, deers ,lots of sea otters and wolves tracks .
    I have paddled quite a bit in the last 35 years, on the north side of the golf oF St-Laurence , Vancouver island , the mid coast of British Columbia
    And Haida Gwai , the Queen Charlotte islands.
    I'd love to see any pictures from the trip! It sounds like my kind of place to visit!
    al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Real Name
    Steve

My wife and I are in our 60's, and we still tent camp, although usually in campgrounds with water facilities these days. Due to the wildfire smoke, we only got out once this year, for our annual perseid meteor shower campout with friends that we've been doing for over 30 years. We go to one of the area's mountain lakes. We're still thinking of squeezing one more campout in the beginning of October. I used to backpack and hike a lot when I was younger, hiked through the Grand Canyon, Yosemite, wilderness around Tahoe. Great memories.

On a negative note, the first recorded person killed by a cougar in Oregon happened a week ago. She was hiking alone near Mt Hood. The wildlife is out there.

we only got out once this year, for our annual perseid meteor shower campout with friends that we've been doing for over 30 years.
    That is one very cool tradition Steve!

My father-in-law owns a piece of property on a lake in CT that we have camped at for decades. He has owned the property over 30 years and each year he has to swim in that lake at least once. We were up there just last weekend for a bit. Its a little bitter sweet visiting these day as the property is on the market now. I'd buy it myself, but its just not possible at this time. My kids grew up there camping summer after summer. Great memories there for sure! I made a "story' of the place here..
    http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...14-What-a-Trip!!!!!!!

al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

My latest camping gear score...old coleman 413G stove...mfg in 1977. I have a bunch of the 424 model including dual fuel ones but this 413 is larger.. easier to cook on. Picked it up for $20.00 Its in great shape for being 40 years old! Fires right up.
    They truly don't make them like they used too!

I really love coleman stoves and burners.

2018-09-14 12.39.43.jpg
    Al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Real Name
    Brian

I have a Coleman duel fuel and it never did work right. I have something called a Pyromid that is awesome! It's all stainless and folds down to 3/4" tall and 15" square and can burn for well over an hour using only 9 briquettes.

pyromid.jpg

Thats a pretty cool little cooker Brian. One of those and a kelley kettle and A person would be all set.

al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast