AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: There has to be some campers/hikers here?

Default Re: There has to be some campers/hikers here?

Hi all,
    I thought I'd revitalize this thread. Winters in CT are gloomy at times and can be pretty depressing for someone that likes the vibrant spring and summer. I still camp alot and this time of the year I spend a good amount of time researching camping spots and gear.

My latest goal is winter camping. I used to camp alot at a family property but we no longer have that ... so its private campgrounds and state ones. Unfortunately here in CT they all shut down in the winter. I have exhausted my search for winter tent camping in CT looking to neighboring states now.

The last two years I expanded my camping gear "collection" to include more coleman stoves and lanterns.. as well as msr back packing stoves.. I always wanted them but they tended to be kind of pricey so I avoided them. I have a much more favorable view now of them. I like their newest versions.. the universal and dragonfly models .. multifuel stoves that run on all kinds of fuel. I also picked up an addiction for a classic white fuel stove.. svea123 . What a cool little pack stove.

I revisited my coleman lantern collections. I have been obsessed with kerosene stoves and lanterns.. There are very few kerosene versions being made now.. coleman only makes 1.. model 639c. There are other brands but they are $$$$. Whats a guy to do? Well a little resesrch and I was able to figure out how to convert most of my coleman lanterns to kerosene... thanks to scrounging through classiccampstove websites and some personal correspondence with the guys at oldcolemanparts.com I love using kerosene in stoves and lamps.. its safer, stores much much longer and is still readily availible. COLEMAN Fuel is getting harder to come by here where I am.. pretty much only walmart sells it. The downside is my interest in kerosene coincides with a current shortage of kerosene and subsequent prices skyrocketing while supply is scarce.

I also explored ultralight weight alcohol stoves..for back packing . Neat little stoves good for boiling water to rehydrate freeze dried meals or ramen. Convenient and takes up little room.. can use isopropyl alcohol but is better on denatured alcohol. I use the yellow bottles of "heet" from the autoparts store.

So thats my camping update.. anyone else?
    Al
    Last edited by brewmaster15; 01-21-2023 at 09:57 AM.
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Real Name
    Tom

Hey Al. Used to do a lot of camping. But my knee is shot so carrying a back pact is out. I still do a lot of day trips with my wife. Have you been through the Catskill Mts? Lots of good year long trails. Did the Balsam mnt fire tower this past Oct.4BB47441-A2A9-4232-874C-18C95D0C5CB1.jpg and than a hike around lake miniwaskaACAAA376-F65F-4110-A276-D520203285C7.jpgDE56F0E8-7CD5-4FF4-B56E-6DCE57848B6B.jpg

Tom thats beautiful country..I haven't hiked the catskills but have been to the adirondacks alot.. I think Ive made 4 trips out to the lake placid area.. We were just there this summer..no long distance hiking for me either. Mostly we car camp.. make a base .. and hike out for the day. I woukd like to but I am forever trying to find a compromise I would be okay with between hiking gear and camera gear... I want both with me and really fir my photographic pursuits...its just a hard decision... I can see me doing ultralite hiking in florida with some camera gear down the road...of course then I wouldn't be ultralite.lol

Al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Real Name
    Tom

Lots to see in the Catskills and not too far away. There are some major hotels in Kingston to overnight in. The town of Woodstock is about a 1/2hr away. There are many mnts to hike up around Woodstock. Then theres Woodstock a small town of the hippy generation. Lots to see and some good restaurants to grab a meal. Overlook mnt is right there and has what’s left of a 19th century hotel half way up the trail and a fire tower at the top. It’s a nice intermediate trail.
    Been up to the Adirondacks did Lake Placid and Mt Marcy. Took a canoe up and down First lake years ago. It’s nice but I find the Catskills just so much nicer.

Heres one of my latest finds.. coleman 400b. RUNS ON COLEMAN FUEL. This stove was made Nov 1997 .
    20230121_122058.jpg

20230121_122100.jpg

Got this on ebay as a"parts" stove . Seller couldnt get it started. These old coleman stoves were built to last.. I have some that go back to 1960s . They are self serviceable and though parts are scarce you can usually repair them. This repair was easy.. the pump on these stoves has a small cup that dries out and deforms so you cant pressurize it.. a little oil and work it into shape and bam..back in business.

20230120_140816.jpg

Took all of 5 mins. I will still take it all apart and clean it good but it works well for starters.

Al
    Last edited by brewmaster15; 01-21-2023 at 03:22 PM.

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Here is a svea123 .. made of brass. Made in sweden. This little gem has no pump.. no moving parts except a fuel valve. It runs on white gas.. naptha (coleman fuel/panelwipe I think in europe.) It can run on unleaded gas but will need cleaning often... it works by simply warming the stove with your hands or preheating with a few drop alcohol....ignite.. then open the valve. Its loud but in a good way.. these come with a wind screen, tool key and potstand and aluminum cup..this one here was another parts stove I am working on.

20230121_130341.jpg

20230121_130345.jpg

Preheating with some alcohol.

20230121_130745.jpg

Houston we have ignition..
    20230121_132002.jpg
    Last edited by brewmaster15; 01-21-2023 at 03:23 PM.

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Real Name
    Tom

Yes brings back memories. Somewhere I’ve got a small white gas stove. Same thing you had to pump it. Also have the small propane stove from the 80s that been sitting on a shelf by my back door for 20+ yrs. It’s a Gaz made in France.BD353F66-33AB-4192-B0DB-E9057B6351BA.jpgBB406D93-54E7-48A5-9A26-0C75E3B3A001.jpg.

Tom, thats a great stove..I dont have one yet. I understand they no longer make the fuel canisters for it which is a shame but I read that its possible to adapt them to other canisters.

Dont suppose you have the pot set that came with it?
    Al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Registered Member

Al, one more reason for you to make a trek to VA. https://www.dcr.virginia.gov/state-parks/winter-camping.

Quote Originally Posted by Hicgup View Post
    Al, one more reason for you to make a trek to VA. https://www.dcr.virginia.gov/state-parks/winter-camping.
    THAT Is great info! THANK YOU!
    al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123