Kenny's Discus     Golden State Discus

Thread: heater choice

iTrader

Default heater choice

hi guys I'm looking at getting a 100 to 120gallon tank which heater should I go for been looking at the fluval e series 300watt was thinking of getting 2 of them.does anyone here use them I did read that they have an issue with the flow sensor playing up.

iTrader
    4 (100%)

Default Re: heater choice

No experience with Fluval heaters, but a good formula for determining watts is:

[(desired temp - room temp)/10] * gallons * 3 to 5 watts (varies heater to heater) = total watts required

Ex: [(82F desired temp - 74F room temp)/10] = 0.8; 0.8 * 120 gallons * 3 to 5 watts = 288 to 480 total watts required

All heaters are "cheap," so it's wise to invest in a quality controller, use multiple smaller heaters or both to prevent/mitigate failures.

iTrader

Here's what I'm thinking about... I've heard good things about these controllers.

Heater - https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/finne...tic-guard.html

Controller - https://www.ebay.com/itm/Good-Digita...53.m1438.l2649

Registered Member
    iTrader

I've used the Fluval Es for several years now and they're my favorite. The first thing I do when receiving one is remove the plastic guard. That solves all the flow problems. I think removing the guard also removes the suction cup mounts but I have a sump so I just drop them in.