AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Discus spawning and pressure systems.. Hurricane Affect.

Exclamation Discus spawning and pressure systems.. Hurricane Affect.

Hi all,
    Its often been observed that discus spawning increases when storm systems are in the area. Many speculate the pressure changes are triggers for spawning. Ive noted here that there does seem to be some correlation to spawning increases as the weather gets kind of wild and funky.

Seems to me that with this massive Hurricane system approaching the Eastern coast of the USA (Florence) that we might see this spawning effect.

So how about we log it. If you are in North America and your Discus spawn or initiate spawning behavior from today until the 20th. Please post it here and say where you are located.I picked an arbitrary 1 week slot but I wouldn't be surprised if the effects of the storm on spawning lasted longer. Id be really interested in if fish that hadnt spawned in awhile did.

I chose all of North America for this as a control. Obviously if we get a ton of spawning/breeding on the East Coast but not west its interesting... If lots on the west but not east ...then not so much.

Its obviously not scientific and really meaningless as far as data since we have no clue on the number of discus keepers by region but hey, You all like to share when your fish breed anyway so why not in one thread at a one week time point?

al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Registered Member

Default Re: Discus spawning and pressure systems.. Hurricane Affect.

Al, I had a wild spawning last night from a female who hasn"t laid eggs since early summer. Same foods, water, ect. Nothing new to tank. I found that odd. But on another note when I was breeding big in Chicago, storms ALWAYS equalled spawns. Not the case up here in Wisconsin. Maybe because I keep/breed only wilds now?...Bill

Thats interesting Bill. My wilds have been real feisty this last week. To the point I have had to separate the male wilds from the domestic females in some cases.

Al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Registered Member

I had a pair of discus spawn on 9/12, and a pair of discus and a pair of angels spawn on 9/14. I will say that it's probably in their normal timeframe to spawn again, but...
    I'm in Decatur, GA (just outside Atlanta).