AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Acclimating New Discus

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

Default Re: Acclimating New Discus

Quote Originally Posted by Jody View Post
    I have am feeding them 5 times per day now and am anxiously awaiting my shipment from Al of freeze dried black worms! The fish are adjusting well. I have the auto feeder set up and they do fine coming to the top to eat now.
    Keep an eye on your ammonia levels...all that extra food and poop in the tank will get it up...You may have to do daily water changes till your tanks adjusts.
    We're here for a good time...not a long time

Real Name
    Jody M.

Quote Originally Posted by two utes View Post
    Keep an eye on your ammonia levels...all that extra food and poop in the tank will get it up...You may have to do daily water changes till your tanks adjusts.
    I will monitor and do WC - thanks

Real Name
    Jody M.

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    Hi Jody, also watch for a mini-cycle the first week as you just added a considerable bioload in the tank. Large daily water changes will help with it.
    Pat
    A mini-cycle definitely occurred. My ammonia levels were at .5 yesterday.

I made a rookie mistake feeding them 5 times per day when I had just added a large bioload to the tank a week ago.

To combat the ammonia, I have some prime coming tomorrow and did a 50% water change today and will continue to do daily water changes and watch this ammonia like a hawk.

I also only fed one time today (Al's blackworm flat cubes and they loved them!) instead of 5 times like a noob.

Since they are 3.5" - 4", I would like to get back up to 3 feedings per day. Do you all think that is enough?
    No you don't throw them...

Jody-

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

A mini-cycle definitely occurred. My ammonia levels were at .5 yesterday.

I made a rookie mistake feeding them 5 times per day when I had just added a large bioload to the tank a week ago.

To combat the ammonia, I have some prime coming tomorrow and did a 50% water change today and will continue to do daily water changes and watch this ammonia like a hawk.

I also only fed one time today (Al's blackworm flat cubes and they loved them!) instead of 5 times like a noob.

Since they are 3.5" - 4", I would like to get back up to 3 feedings per day. Do you all think that is enough?
    Its o.k to up your feeds but just keep in mind the ammonia will spike...If you are using aged heated water to do your water changes you can go bigger than 50% daily...time permitting off coarse....you need to post more pics as well

Real Name
    Jody M.

Its o.k to up your feeds but just keep in mind the ammonia will spike...If you are using aged heated water to do your water changes you can go bigger than 50% daily...time permitting off coarse....you need to post more pics as well
    Ask and you shall receive.

So far so good - I have been their steward for over a full week now.

Does the blue diamond in the second picture look stunted? Do any others look stunted?

For reference these guys are all between 3.5" - 4."

IMG-2742.jpg
    IMG-2739.jpg
    IMG-2741.jpg
    No you don't throw them...

Jody-

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

Ask and you shall receive.

So far so good - I have been their steward for over a full week now.

Does the blue diamond in the second picture look stunted? Do any others look stunted?

For reference these guys are all between 3.5" - 4."
    Thanks for the pics!

I don't know if they are stunned or not, but from the pics they look a little thin to me, and nothing that you cant fix. Other than that they look really good.
    Like you said, you've only had them for a week. I do know that how you care for them over the next 8 to 12 months will have a huge impact on how much they beef up.

I've always raised my juveniles on a beef heart mix, freeze dried black worms and granules of one sought or another...many small feeds often throughout the day coupled with water changes as required.

The most important thing of all though is that you enjoy what you have and watch how they progress. It can be a real enjoyable experience.

Enjoy

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12